Why become a member? ×

Interactions With 'Name' Bassists

spongebob

I used to help out at the Damnation Festival in Leeds, not been for the last three years due to having a young daughter; last time I was there, I was standing next to Liam Willson from The Dillinger Escape Plan. I was going to say something to him, but felt a bit self conscious.

I'm back again this year and Cannibal Corpse are headlining the second stage, so I'm hoping to say hello to Alex Webster and get a photo of myself with him

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1412330482' post='2567852']
He did a 3 piece with Eric Bell on guitar and John Coghlan on drums. I recall they had a go at Quo's 'Caroline' and it was like a Sunday afternoon jam down your local, Noel couldn't remember half the words and as you say he didn't look in th ebest of health but seemed happy enough.
[/quote]

It was a different location, but same trio. I don't remember Noel singing at any point, but I may be wrong. Eric Bell looked mega embarrassed when they started and were totally out of tune. I think "Sunday afternoon jam" said it all about the whole gig, but no one will take it away from me that I met one of my idols, even if I did nearly reduce him to a pile of bones just by trying to tap him on the shoulder...... I do remember seeing him laughing with everyone backstage afterwards.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1412268919' post='2567378'] I once had a chat with that Dan Veall guy. I mean, nice chap n' everything and certainly knows his stuff about all things gear-wise.. but come on... trying to get him to go home. He'll never make money by over running all his lessons... :unsure: :D :blush: :D [/quote]I met him too . Bought some gear off of him , and I suspect dozens on here have a similar tale to tell :lol:

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1412255369' post='2567190']
Spent a few weeks recording an album with Tony Visconti in 1981. What that man doesn't know about producing records aint worth knowing, a man that knows how to get the best from a musician.

As in all walks of life... you get the good guys, and then you get the ar****les
[/quote]
If that was with Hazel O'Connor I had that LP, a talented lady IMHO

Half the time these heros people have here are nobodys to the next guy on here, that doesn't make them not nice people but I'm sure half the time people mention a player on here loads of fellow bassists have not heard of them, imagine what the general public think if you throw these big names around?

I'd need to google about half of the names so far :D

I got a lift to the station from Nine Below Zero bassist Brian Bethell many moons ago. He was in the old Red lion in Brentford watching a blues outfit called the Cobras.
I told him I was a bass player too and he asked what I used, and when I told him a Squier P he turned his nose up!
Mind you this was 1985 ish.

I was thinking about buying a bass from Derek Forbes a few years ago and exchanged a few emails with him - seemed like a very decent bloke. I've also met Tony Hadley quite a few times (yes I know he's not a bass player) through his charity work for the Shooting Stars children's hospice, again a very decent bloke.

Chris Squire however is a different story. He walked in at my workplace one day, and was being very difficult about autographs.
After some to and fro with the other people present, I got more and more frustrated, and finally it burst out of me:
"Do NOT disturb while I'm teaching Jon, Bill, Steve and Rick, you bloody autograph hunter!"
It seemed to put him into place, but to this day I feel guilty about having been so harsh with him. When you don't treat people kindly, who knows how they will start to treat other people again...

There's a lesson there, I feel.
:(

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

:D :yarr: :ph34r:

Edited by BassTractor

Chatted to Norman Watt-Roy before a Wilko Johnson gig while the support band were on. Had a nice chat and complimented him on his playing and how it had influenced little tone all those years ago into listening out for a cool bassline, which he nicely acknowledged.

Had a few email exchanges with Tony Levin in the mid-90s when his solo career and record label was just starting. Met him at a clinic in a barn somewhere near Stevevage about 2006 or 07 where he was kind enough to let us sit in on his soundcheck, and he signed my original issue Funk Fingers afterwards.

There's probably more but it's sunday morning and the brain isn't quite working yet...

Having spoken to write a few big names after gigs - as you do - I have to say the most accommodating were Marco Mendoza and Glenn Hughes. Both took a good 15 minutes each to chat to me about bass and music in general. Marco in particular seemed to show a real interest in what gear I was using and the music I was using it for.
Actually bumped into Glenn's guitarist JJ Marsh out on the street after the gig. When we inquired as to whether the young lady he had his arm around was his wife, he replied with a grin that she was at home and that this was in fact his guitar tech's wife. Very rock and roll :/ He was also kind enough to ask our group to go with him for a drink with the band (without Mr Hughes himself however who is of course now tee-total) which would have been fantastic but sadly we had a train to catch.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1412496597' post='2569250']
Not surprised there. I've only seen Chris Squire in an interview. He seemed very impressed with himself in that too.
[/quote]

I've heard quite a few stories about Squire from various people over the years; not one of them has been positive.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1412252855' post='2567162']
I once helped Alan Gregg of The Muttonbirds load his bass cab into his van. He and I were joking about it. Nice guy. Maybe not a 'name' over here in the UK, but he is in New Zealand.
[/quote]

He is to me. I emailed him to ask how I should buy the Marshmallow album, in terms of what the best return was for him, and he told me his record company had been very nice to him.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1412495790' post='2569240']
Chris Squire however is a different story. He walked in at my workplace one day, and was being very difficult about autographs.
After some to and fro with the other people present, I got more and more frustrated, and finally it burst out of me:
"Do NOT disturb while I'm teaching Jon, Bill, Steve and Rick, you bloody autograph hunter!"
It seemed to put him into place, but to this day I feel guilty about having been so harsh with him. When you don't treat people kindly, who knows how they will start to treat other people again...
[/quote]

He walked into your workplace?

And what where you teaching the rest of Yes?

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1412518200' post='2569509']
And what where you teaching the rest of Yes?
[/quote]

I'm sorry for the confusion. My invented story was only meant to bring a little smile to some people's faces, and I honestly thought that that was clear. No intention of deceiving anyone.

(BTW and for clarity, for those with elephant memory, my story in a thread not about 'name' bass players, one about Bill Bruford wanting to kick my butt after MY major cock-up, is a true one - though also only written down to bring a smile to some people's faces.)

Edited by BassTractor

Met Bruce Foxton who was a really ncie guy, very interested in the band I was with at the time. Gave H from Peter & The Test Tube Babies a plectrum when we supported them as he`d lost his and he was so grateful it was unreal. Ravi from XSLF was alos really grateful for me letting him use my rig. I reckon many of the "names" get there not just through talent but also by being decent, non-assholes.