Why become a member? ×

New tc electronic. Amps bh550. And. 800

afterimage

Used it Last Saturday in a horrible sounding room with no time to play with it, as I was mixing the band in sound check while getting heckled by inebriated helpers! Plenty of power and no hiss or noise through the amp and a very quiet fan. I'm using tomorrow night with a jazz! I will report again...

I've used it at three rehearsals and first gig with it tonight. Blimey it's got some oomph, using with a Barefaced Midget T. The whole set up weighs 13kg.

Not sure about the TonePrint feature, seems like a bit of a gimmick and is a bit hit and miss. Saying that some do sound good. The transfer doesn't work with my Stingray 4 but do with my Stingray 5, this is using an iPhone 6. I think you need to find two toneprints you like and stick with them, it's too risky to attempt updating between songs at a gig. Perhaps some form of effects selection control would have been a better option but it's early days with the amp and I may change my mind.

I like the overall sound of the setup, and the tone controls are effective, the centre frequencies are spot on in my opinion.
Not tried the PC toneprint editor as not had time but read it's not compatible.

The only thing I'm not sure I like is the output seems a bit compressed even without a compressor toneprint selected, only really noticeable when doing a good old slap.

I'm pleased with the amp, it is refreshing being able to carry my whole rig with one hand!

Did my second gig with it on Saturday, Another difficult sounding room! I used an Aguilar TH500 with an American standard Jazz for the first set and although it sounded good at sound check, when the band got into it, I was struggling to get the definition I wanted. switched to the BH800 for the second set and bingo instant usable sound. Loads of power and low end, I had to cut the bass a little as it was a little overbearing but it is a boomy room. I have messed with the tone prints a little and the chorus and flangers sound nice but the tubey ones just seem to muddy up my sound, It may be me though. Over all in these early stages I like it. The build quality seems excellent and although it looks bigger than you would expect its the same footprint as a little mark 2 and not as tall. Feels heaver than you first think compared to the th500 but in a good way, it doesn't feel like a gust of wind will blow it off your cab!! Ill probably put the th500 up for sale as I think this is more suited to my tastes.

There is an interesting reply from TC on market segments for RH and BH amps lines (and active power management) in their forums : [url="http://forum.tcelectronic.com/topic/16804/new-bh500-and-bh800-tech-spec-and-wattage/"]http://forum.tcelectronic.com/topic/16804/new-bh500-and-bh800-tech-spec-and-wattage/[/url]

Sorry...I've edited this post completely! Right here goes.

I'm curious about how transparent these amps are. While I love the size/weight and the concept of adding effects via the Tone Port, my front end/desired tone [dirt] is shaped by a handful of Sansamp units. While I suppose it's feasible that there may be a close overdriven effect available via the Tone Port, my preference would generally be the Sansamp RBI/BDDI/VT Bass units and I wouldn't want to drop them,

As there's no effects loop, the Sansamps will go in front of the amp...these units all have independent tone controls, so my question is when the amp's tone controls (bass/mid/treble) are at the noon position are these heads tonally flat?

Cheers
Paul

Edited by NancyJohnson

• 5 months later...

Very happy with my new BH550 - I did not try it at gig or rehearsal yet but it sounds great with my RS210 and RS212 with same levels of my Mark Bass LMII.
Also it allows me to sell the previous amp, the practice amp, the tuner, the chorus and the fuzz.

The only complain I have is that the two Tone-Print effects are mutually exclusive.