Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Handles rant

Kevin Dean

No problem with mine, top handle for wheeling about. Usually one side handle for carrying. The top handle also stops my amp falling off the back - not that it moves. Although i did do one gig on a shiny floor and the entire cab made its way toward me over the course of a few songs :)

Never hit my shins, or my shines for that matter.

I had a small issue with the original handles and the rubber breaking up, but a quick call to Alex and I had a new set of handles.

[quote] [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]But I can't stand the handles this is the 3rd time I've picked the cab up by the top handle & it has swung back & bashed me in the shines [/quote][/font][/color]

I mean.......3 times man.......are you still holding on for a different outcome? ;)

Si

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1412770123' post='2571791']
I accept it because the handle is in the best place to wheel the cab around, and I've never bashed my shins.
[/quote]

This!

When i want to lift my cab i use the side handles and if i need to carry it for a bit i prefer picking it up with only one hand by one of the side handles. I'm not a strong man but the cab is light so no problem. It happened to me to get hit with the cab on the shins one time i thought i might be a good idea to lift it by the top handle to take it down a flight of stairs... didn't happened a second time though ;)

*edited

Edited by Ghost_Bass

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1412769030' post='2571773']I don't want to fan any flames here, but I have to ask, why are people so accepting of this?[/quote]

... because Alex Claber is the speaker prophet-messiah-guru-ghandi and can do no wrong.

Edited by Toasted

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1412769030' post='2571773']
I don't want to fan any flames here, but I have to ask, why are people so accepting of this?
[/quote]

If you lean your bass against your cab while you have a cuppa, and it falls over and gets damaged, I don't see that as a design flaw in the bass.

I see it as an example of "well don't DO that then".

I don't see how someone else picking up a cab by the wrong handle is something I should either accept or be appalled by. It's his cab and if that's what he wants to do, well so be it.

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1412769030' post='2571773']
I don't want to fan any flames here, but I have to ask, why are people so accepting of this?
[/quote]

I accept it because any product which uses these handles could suffer the same fate (but not the same vitriol on here).

EDIT: I should say I ACCEPTED it, because I no longer own a BF can with these handles. I have Gen 3 cabs now and the new handles are better ;)

Edited by Merton

I realised why the handles are in the posistions they have been fixed but for me , getting the equipment out of the van , carrying the cab up stairs & through doorways using the side handle was unpracticle ...that's just my opinion . Alex has informed me that the top handle can be moved but a inset handle can't be fitted because of the internal braceing .

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1412784094' post='2572023']

I accept it because any product which uses these handles could suffer the same fate (but not the same vitriol on here).

EDIT: I should say I ACCEPTED it, because I no longer own a BF can with these handles. I have Gen 3 cabs now and the new handles are better ;)
[/quote]

Keep up - this thread isn't about disintegrating handles - it's all about shingate

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1412779641' post='2571960']I don't see how someone else picking up a cab by the wrong handle is something I should either accept or be appalled by. It's his cab and if that's what he wants to do, well so be it.[/quote]

The cognitive dissonance of gear-nerds.

"You're not using that handle for its intended purpose"

Jokes, innit?

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1412847574' post='2572565']
The cognitive dissonance of gear-nerds.

"You're not using that handle for its intended purpose"

Jokes, innit?
[/quote]

Well... i could pick my cab from the floor with a back bending movement instead of a flecting my legs while keeping my back straight but i wouldn't come to an internet forum rant about the cab because it gave me a serious back injury... or would i???

If things are made to fit a purpose then any missuse of that can't be a reason to complain ;)

I've playing bass for getting on for 50 years and over that time I've had handles break or fall off everything. Hard bass cases, flight cases, amps, speaker cabinets, lead cases in fact everything. It's part of gigging and I've come to expect it, it's not a case of if, it's a case of when.

No manufacturer has ever offered me a new handle because the old one broke but I read that Alex has offered to replace broken handles FOC. I call that supreme after sales service above and beyond the call of duty and still people have got it in for Alex. I just don't get it!

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1412852189' post='2572636']
I've playing bass for getting on for 50 years and over that time I've had handles break or fall off everything. Hard bass cases, flight cases, amps, speaker cabinets, lead cases in fact everything. It's part of gigging and I've come to expect it, it's not a case of if, it's a case of when.

No manufacturer has ever offered me a new handle because the old one broke but I read that Alex has offered to replace broken handles FOC. I call that supreme after sales service above and beyond the call of duty and still people have got it in for Alex. I just don't get it!
[/quote]

This particular issue is about the placement of the top handle, not handles breaking. Maybe Alex should chuck in a pair of shin pads with each big cab

I have an early gen 1 Compact and the handle has recently started showing signs of wear, hope I can get a replacement sorted when it does die. I'm not the original owner, and I've gigged pretty heavily with it in the last (almost) two years since I bought it, so not doing too badly when you consider Barefaced was probably a one man band when it was made.

I would like to upgrade to a Super Compact, which I understand has better handles, but they're a different company now.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1412858542' post='2572723']
I have an early gen 1 Compact and the handle has recently started showing signs of wear, hope I can get a replacement sorted when it does die. I'm not the original owner, and I've gigged pretty heavily with it in the last (almost) two years since I bought it, so not doing too badly when you consider Barefaced was probably a one man band when it was made.

[b]I would like to upgrade to a Super Compact, which I understand has better handles, but they're a different company now.[/b]
[/quote]

Why does that make any difference..?