Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Handles rant

Kevin Dean

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1416913707' post='2614892']
I am curious to see how the the thread might play out the first time somebody has a criticism of this outfit or their products. Given the special status they have on this forum, it could be interesting. I don't think that will happen any time soon, as their stuff looks well thought out and well executed, but there's always one!
It strikes me that they and Barefaced have slightly different approaches, as Barefaced have poured money into having new drivers developed for the Gen 3 cabs, while TKS are using off-the shelf components but offer sharper cosmetics, more options and seem to be a little more on the ball with customer relations.
[/quote]

There is only one line I'm interested in from TKS...and that is the S112 cabs. The other cabs aren't in my thoughts
but I do buy into the idea that the desgner knows what he is doing, knows how to get that sound and makes it very well.
The custom options are a nice touch ...not so fussed about the cabs ( standard finish ) that someone suggested looked
like Barefaced cabs myself even tho I would ask how they thought they looked the same..???
Some people also have a good cosmetic eye and you can see this in most of the custom options from TKS, IMO, plus a
close up look at the build so for the price, I think they are very competitive.
No surprise here if I said I don't see where the money for a BF cab goes tbh... but you make your own choices for your own reasons.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1416918021' post='2614958']
when I've asked what is being supplied they said TE or Ashdown, which filled me with a degree of
trepidation, but the Ashdown 210 combo wasn't too sad at all, tbh...
[/quote]

I feel the same way about those two.

But one of my Halloween gigs this year was at a boat on Loch Lomond, and it was really awful weather, heaviest rain I've seen in years, and we could only park a good 200m away... So I decided to take a chance and see what they provided rather than carry my things from the car. It was a 210 TE combo... and surprisingly, I quite liked it!
That was a pleasant surprise.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1416940017' post='2615317']
For all of these fancy cabs and class d fancy heads my two favourites for tone were most Peavey TNT combos or those Genz contour combos that were sold off cheap at the end. A black box that makes a noise suits me really, still I don't want to spoil a good argument :)
[/quote]

If you find the Black Widow version of the Peavey and it's not knackered, then they're a pretty useful pub gig amp. Though anyone living in an upstairs flat will soon be cursing the single strap handle on the older ones, to keep it on topic!

I had a PV 130 combo and whilst the BW was bombproof, and the amp stage appeared to handle anything...the
one flaw it had was the sound. To get any useable volume you have to max out the mid sweep and it sounded awful...
but I think you'd be flogging the ampo mercifully to get 80watts or so...
TE came along and wiped them out...and TE weren't the arbiters of sound at that time either, but at least they hit decent useable
volume levels, IME

Agree about the handles though... the combo could take its abuse which is why people refer to them fondly... :lol: :lol:

If you're close enough to see that my cabinet doesn't have a meticulously wrapped custom crocodile-skin tolex finish then you're probably also close enough to see that I haven't vac'd last gigs dirt out of the bottom of my pedal board, wiped off my cables, or polished the front of my amp. In other words, you're probably too close - certainly too close to appreciate the capacity of the product to perform the function for which it was designed (audio, in case you forgot). From a sufficient distance to experience the audio properly, it definitely looks the part too. Having dragged the thing to and from countless gigs, even at times on public transport, I can't say I've ever had an issue with regards to the ergonomic design either. As has been alluded to by other posters, any such issues can probably be attributed to operator error.

Edited by Ziphoblat

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1416973829' post='2615671']
I'm just wondering why TKS has it's own sub forum and everyone else is relegated to the affiliates. Barefaced never got that honour and bass builders that everyone rates on here don't get that privilege. Just asking.
[/quote]

They get that privilege if they pay for it :-)

Many people seem to take exception to the 'fit and finish'.

I've had two BF cabs, each with the cloth grille. In terms of build quality, they were solidly built, and the fixtures seemed good quality and well fitted. The only reservation was with the G2 speakon sockets which were mounted proud at the back; a method that smacked of cutting corners and not worthy of the premier price bracket. Thankfully, the G3 cabs have addressed this, with speakon/jack combi sockets set into a recessed plate - much better.

The Tuffcab finish is the other thing that many dislike the look of. I'm not overly keen, and would prefer it to look and feel more like my old EA cabs, as that had a lovely smooth and durable finish. However, the Tuffcab is durable, and I'd have it any day over vinyl (damages easily) or carpet (starts off ugly and gets uglier over time)

Aesthetically, I'd prefer the shelved porting to be covered by the cloth grille.

I think that many see the thin ply and equate that with flimsiness?

Oh, and I don't agree with the 'if you're close enough to see the rough finish, you're too close' argument. So much of our gear has details that most don't notice, but give personal satisfaction.
My bass has ebony tone knobs. I don't think I anyone has ever noticed but me, yet it gives me great pleasure.

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1417001484' post='2615865']
My bass has ebony tone knobs. I don't think I anyone has ever noticed but me, yet it gives me great pleasure.
[/quote]

Respect for the knobs! I know exactly how you feel. Sometimes it's just about the way something feels and the pleasure it gives you.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1416975126' post='2615672']
I can't believe were still ranting about BFH at 4am. Go to bed!
[/quote]

In my defence, I was in bed. Just not asleep. What better to do when you can't sleep than get in on a good old BF thread?

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1416973829' post='2615671']
I'm just wondering why TKS has it's own sub forum and everyone else is relegated to the affiliates. Barefaced never got that honour and bass builders that everyone rates on here don't get that privilege. Just asking.
[/quote]

I can't imagine that there's much point without Alex participating in the threads there, and I suspect that he has better things to do than frequent a sub-forum where every thread invariably devolves into slagging match.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1417001484' post='2615865']
Oh, and I don't agree with the 'if you're close enough to see the rough finish, you're too close' argument. So much of our gear has details that most don't notice, but give personal satisfaction.
[/quote]

I completely understand what you mean about getting pleasure from nice things - but for me that tends to be more focused around my instrument, the thing I'm actually physically connecting with while I play. My cabinet is a more functional object, and I can rarely see or feel it while I'm playing. Perhaps it would be different if I practiced through it at home, but it only comes out for rehearsals and gigs.