Why become a member? ×

Best small combo

wahit

Hello everyone!

Size here at home is an issue now with the "new" kid going around learning to walk ;)

I'm looking for a really small combo amp for bass. By small, I mean size and power. I believe that [b]35 [/b]to [b]50W [/b]is more than enough. It's for home use only, so I won't need the extra power, yet I don't want to compromise sound quality and depth. This way I rather play in a small combo with the volume up.

I've been reading about this and made a small list of combos:

[b]- Hartke A35 1x10" 35-watt[/b]
[b]- Orange Crush Pix CR25BX 1x8" 25-watt[/b]
[b]- Ampeg BA-110 1x10" 35-watt[/b]
[b]- Fender Rumble 40 1x10" 40-watt[/b]

Are these any good? What other choices would you advise? I'm looking for clean vintage sounding tones, think of Paul Jackson with Herbie Hancock. My bass is a 94' Fender 51' Reissue Precision.

I'm open to all ideas except pedals and effects processors...! I just need it to be small and with low power. Money is not an issue here.

Thank you!

I found my Fender Rumble 15 pretty crap to be honest, probably because its only a 15 watt amp.

The Fender Rumble 300 or 350 (cant remember) I borrowed off the local recording studio was absolutely awesome sounding and sounded great with my Fender P Bass.

I would have thought the Fender Rumble 40 would be a decent buy, and I think the new ones look like the bassman amps and look fantastic as well.

Everything over 65W is too much... :(

Isn't there a really small combo with really good vintage sound? Dimension-wise the Orange Pix CR25BX is perfect... but how is it soundwise?

Another combos I've been reading about is the Markbass Micromark 801. Any good?

From this selection - I've excluded some - which one do you think is the best choice?

[b]- Orange Crush Pix CR25BX 1x8" 25-watt[/b]
[b]- Ampeg BA-110 1x10" 35-watt[/b]
[b]- Markbass Micromark 801[/b]
[b]- EBS Classic Session 30[/b]

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1412076496' post='2565339']
trace boxer 65 here - 65w and 12 inch - has heasdphone output but still ok for low volume practcice at home - ok for small/acoustic gigs (just)
[/quote]
+1 on the 65w Boxer. Great for low volume home use but generally loud enough for rehearsals. Cheap and reliable too!

had a few small practice amps and all were quiet disappointing to be honest, so I now have a TC electronic BH250 2x8 combo small light and under £250 best sounding amp I have owned IMHO. tried the two small PJB combos (the size of a shoe box) high quality but no caricature to the sound, found the Markbass to be the same although it was the 601 that I tried. both are very clean sounding and both are very expensive ! there are the new table top type guitar amps you could look at too, things like the Yamaha thr10 and the vox soundbox mini, both have bass guitar amp models built in and a range of effects but at £150 to £200 a go I cant see the point myself except possibly for the run on battery portability that they offer. there's also the Roland micro bass RX in that category too, they got a lot of love at one stage so I got one. returned it after 2 days! Took a Roland micro cube with me to the states when I went to work there for three months and that did much better than the bass RX.
Only one way to know that's take your bass n go try a man as you can