Why become a member? ×

Discuss Henrik Linder

Sub_Drop

It's an odd style clash. They're all clearly fusion heads who are having a go at splicing chop fuelled performances in to a pop song. But the chop display can't make up for the fact that the song is not strong enough and is really banal.

But I wouldn't call it dross, I would call it an experiment that doesn't work. Pop on the whole is either really, really simple, or there is complexity that is hidden - these guys wear their virtuosity on their sleeve. I'm not sure there is any pop that works that has musicians working at the edge of their ability? It's an interesting thing really...

What it strongly reminds me of in a number of ways is It Bites (although they had better songs). I recall Francis Dunnery lacing their pop/schmaltz rock with Holdsworth-esque virtuosity and the band launching into odd time signatures to remind the audience that they were essentially a prog band. It didn't work then and this doesn't work now really. Apart from appealing to a small number of musos who wait for the bit in the song where there's an odd time signature or a shred fest.

This is music for musos fundamentally, which does't mean that it's dross…it's just …erm…niche…

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1412160696' post='2566220']
I'm sorry but I really don't get the point of Dirty Loops. It seems to me to be "music" made solely for the purpose of impressing other musicians. Sure they've all got impressive technical skills on their instruments, but IMO the song should always come first over technique, and unfortunately in their case it doesn't. Their output appears to be overplayed covers of pop songs that mostly lose the elements that made those songs catchy and popular in the first place, and their own compositions are weak in comparison.
[/quote]

Possibly surprisingly, even though I do like this song, I really, really strongly dislike when musicians do stuff for the purpose of impressing other musicians.
This song however, does not give me that impression. To me it comes across as a musically felt travel through rhythm and harmonic development, and one that reaches me on an emotional level.
I wouldn't have it any other way.

Whilst this too may surprise you, to me the song should always come first over technique. It's a pet peeve of mine.
In this case, the technique doesn't bother me at all. To me it's just a means to reach a goal, and that goal seems to me to be a musical one.

I don't know the rest of their output, and had no idea this was a cover. To me this was just a new song. BUT in hindsight, I feel that there was talk about it in an older thread (but my memory is damaged, and I sadly do forget some stuff).
As a result, the aspect of losing elements that made the originals catchy has escaped me.

I don't imagine that I would run to a music shop and buy their CD(s) based on this song, but it was a well spent 3 minutes and 5 seconds before they started to lose me slightly.

As I've relayed in a previous Dirty Loops thread, on the Dutch bass forum I myself reacted negatively against some Dutch music I felt was cold and a mere display of technique. I was however soon corrected by others who really enjoyed that same music on emotional, musical grounds.
It made me see again we all have our different backgrounds, realities and viewpoints.

I think I understand everything that has been written in this thread (can never be sure: English really is not my language, and I constantly see that people will not see or believe how central that point is), but still do not get what exactly makes Dirty Loops stand out among all the purveyors of dross that warrants three bashing threads in few months. They must be special somehow.

[quote name='Cairobill' timestamp='1412170071' post='2566387']
This is music for musos fundamentally, which does't mean that it's dross…it's just …erm…niche…
[/quote]

That may well be a very, very good point. There are lots of examples of guitarists' guitarists and composers' composers - that kinda thing.

[b]Solved! [/b]
Dirty Loops is the dross's dross. :D

I must admit that I kinda like them. There's a lot of this very 'technical' playing stuff out there these days and much of it leaves me cold but these guys seem to have a bit more life about them and I really like the new arrangements of existing songs.

I find them hard to listen to on any sort of extended basis but the odd song or two now and then always makes me smile :)

[quote name='Cairobill' timestamp='1412170071' post='2566387'] What it strongly reminds me of in a number of ways is It Bites... launching into odd time signatures to remind the audience that they were essentially a prog band. It didn't work then and this doesn't work now really.[/quote]

:o It Bites were, and still are, one of my favourite bands. How very dare you suggest that their futuristic prog-pop compexity somehow fell short of the mark!! :blink: That's unfair, patronising and reverse-snobbish!! :unsure:

Probably true though.... :blush: :D

Is this the kind of thing you mean?
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBd401c9ak4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBd401c9ak4[/url]

Edited by Conan

+1 for me with DL. Like all the players. Henrik is clearly a good player but, and I say this with respect to what he's doing, he's really just playing the (very) choppy arrangement with some inventive fills.

My point is, even if you just played roots to all those 9th chords at the right time, you'd sound good.

So I think the band are pivoting off a great singer, and whoever does the arrangements, with oodles of rehearsal.

(Actually I think I've just defined what it means to be a bass player in a good band.)

I guess their shtick is that they're all young. Well it sure beats the army of boy-bands out there.

I'm just jealous!

P.s. He (Henrik Linder) has started using a bass with those weird twisty super-intonated frets:

[url="http://matome.naver.jp/odai/2140465211358045701/2140471424792821003"]http://matome.naver....471424792821003[/url]

Edited by visog

'But jealous souls will not be answered so; they are not jealous for the cause but jealous for they're jealous' - Nobby Fishcake - 'The Scented Wallpaper'.

I think it's the same old story with these guys; they hit and hit big, everyone loves them and then everyone else has to hate them because everyone else loves them. They gain adulation and vitriol in equal measure until, after and while, they become an ordinary band that people are allowed to like or dislike as they see fit.

I like what they do, it is a new take on things, a fresh approach which has limitations like all approaches. I won't be buying anything by them as my interests lie elsewhere but I will keep listening as they go along and applaud their efforts.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1412261138' post='2567263']
:o It Bites were, and still are, one of my favourite bands. How very dare you suggest that their futuristic prog-pop compexity somehow fell short of the mark!! :blink: That's unfair, patronising and reverse-snobbish!! :unsure:

Probably true though.... :blush: :D

Is this the kind of thing you mean?
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBd401c9ak4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBd401c9ak4[/url]
[/quote]

Completely agree with your first sentence and disagree with your second.

Music is music, you either like it or you don't.

I've a soft spot for It Bites - I bought their first album and saw them a couple of times as a kid. I thought they were really exciting and yes, I was a total muso ;)

In retrospect I think it was pretty experimental stuff, not in their prog references (which were pretty classic) but in the way they mixed the prog with the pop and ended up on Saturday morning kids shows and TOTP. But given that they were going for a pop bid with a pretty chunky Virgin advance it didn't really work out I think. Despite that they were a hybrid band and pretty interesting.

But re: Dirty Loops, I think there are bands lacing their pop with adventurous musicianship in a less naff way...

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1412346804' post='2568102']

[/quote]

Edited by Cairobill

I held off from commenting on this until I'd heard the album and read the Bass Player interview.
I'd seen a bunch of their cover videos and enjoyed a couple of them, mainly their take on 'Circus, but wanted to hear what they
could do in their own right.
There is no doubt that the guys can play-Hendrik plays some very nice stuff-but I really didn't like their album at all.
To me, the whole album is pretty much summed up in the first 8 bars of 'Hit Me'-the big drum fill, the slapped bass fill,
the horn/orchestral hit style keys stabs, and the faux Mariah style vocals (that was the worst part for me). I just thought the songs were poor ('Sexy Girls'...really?) and there wasn't enough excitement in the playing to keep me interested.
I'd love to hear Hendrik in a situation away from Dirty Loops where he'd be able to prove himself as a top musician.

Edited by Doddy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I heard the album for the first time this afternoon and I have to agree with Doddy. The first two songs is pretty much YouTube 'business as usual'. Exactly what I was expecting, but every song sounded like the previous. Became bored very quickly, despite the great musicianship. Didn't offer enough for me and that's a shame.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1412346804' post='2568102']

[/quote]

I must have missed this... Did you not detect the ever-so-subtle irony in my post Nigel? :huh: :rolleyes: :D

The players in this band are very talented and have a mountain of musical ability.

What a bass player. I wish I could play as well as he obviously did when he was 5.

Not my kind of music but I have nothing negative to say about them.

It's my kind of band.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1419766410' post='2642493']
Bass Player live interview and a little bit of playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8slJKsSWe9Y
[/quote]

These bass player live videos are annual treat! This one though I thought was disappointing, not least because the razzle dazzle you hear from him in the dirty loop songs is conspicuously absent. Micheal manring from last year, or Bobby vega the performance is right there, Nathan east's is great- dammit I could go on. Henrik though is flat. Far less viewed from this year and way more informative is chuck rainey's, but he talks about music making not playing.

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1419791423' post='2642739']
way more informative is chuck rainey's, but he talks about music making not playing.
[/quote]
No real surprise there. Rainey is a legend who has performed on thousands of sessions and with most of the greats over six decades. A much different bass player as well.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1412099260' post='2565669']
I think i'd rather be locked in a room listening to a continuous loop of Richard Clayderman.
[/quote]

:lol:!!!!!!

Yeah, the music is not for me either, but I really enjoyed the bass AND the drums...

fantastic players, all of them.