Why become a member? ×

Favourite Band Ever

bassboy115

I was just watching some Kings Of Leon vids and started thinking about how no matter what stages i go through... likeing different bands/styles i will always end up coming back to them.

So as im bored and have nothing better to do i thought id ask everyone who there all time favourite band is that they always come back to????

O n make it related to bass... who is the bassist?

Me = Kings of Leon - Jared Followill(also my favourite bassist/biggest influence...)

Alex

Edited by bassboy115

It's difficult to quantify my favourite band...I can follow my musical routes from The Sweet, Kiss, Rush, The Alarm, Living Colour, through to Shudder To Think, Jellyfish, Fountains Of Wayne and Counting Crows, but I have no definitive favourite.

Showing my age here (and probably of more relevancy), I regularly go back to listening to four or five albums from my teens:

Japan - Adolescent Sex and Obscure Alternatives (these are the first two Japan albums), bass player Mick Karn,
Rich Kids - Ghosts Of Princes In Towers (Glen Matlock)
Queen - Sheer Heart Attack (John Deacon)
Aerosmith - Rocks (Tom Hamilton)

Rocks was the album I used to play along with when I was starting out, waiting for Joe Perry to call me.

Only recently have I come around to the feeling that I am not immortal and these albums are now all around thirty years old. To me these albums are like comfort food (Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey, or a cinnamon and raisin bagel with peanut-butter and banana).

Hopefully, I'll still be around in thirty years...

P

Edited by NancyJohnson

For me, it's a toss-up between Tool (Justin Chancellor) and Isis (Jeff Caxide), Tool probably edge it since I've been listening to them for longer. Then again, Caxide has had more of an influence on my bass playing than Chancellor, so I'd say it's pretty even. I'll always have a soft spot for Incubus and RHCP as well.

My fav band of all time is Jane's Addiction. I got into them as a teenager back then and i'm still listening to 'Nothing's Shocking' and 'Ritual De Lo Habitual.' Brilliant stuff. Eric Avery was the bassist btw.

Of today's bands, i'm a fan of KoL and The Strokes.

Edited by Tee

The only band/artist that I haven't lost interest in or haven't lost reverence for at some point or another is Billie Holiday.

Past favorites:

Astor Piazzolla
Etta James
Erik Satie
Beethoven
Arvo Part
Charlie Parker
Art Pepper
Bud Powell
Miles Davis
Sam Cooke
The Sundays
Fairport Convention - Sandy Denny
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
The Who
Van Morrison
Paul Simon

But I've also had previous favorites in Trip-hop and gypsy jazz and folk music from all over the world (Russian, African, French, Celtic, British, Mexican, Argentinian, American, Scandinavian)

Other particularly special musicians in popular music: Bob Dylan, Bob Marley, Johnny Cash, Nina Simone, Regina Spektor.
Not so popular music: Lhasa, Sun Ra, Anais Mitchell, Ane Brun, The Be Good Tanyas.

I'm sure there are many more I can think up in many different lists, but given the chance, at least one of any of those bands/artists has the ability to have a substantial impact on anyones life.

Bassists aren't really a deciding factor for me, although Zeppelin's (John Paul Jones), The Who's (John Entwistle), Charlie Parker's (Ray Brown) were exceptional and perhaps those artists wouldn't be there if it weren't for their bassists.

---

sorry for the life story

I like music.

paul.

Edited by paul, the

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='26190' date='Jul 2 2007, 07:52 PM']Japan - Adolescent Sex and Obscure Alternatives (these are the first two Japan albums), bass player Mick Karn,[/quote]
And the best two, for my money.

Mine would probably be

The Pursuit of Happiness - Johnny Sinclair (nothing special basswise, just really well written songs with intelligent lyrics)

Morphine - the late Mark Sandman. Two strings and a slide, and one of the most amazing sounds ever.

Andy

I first heard Rush in 1980 & it changed my life - no other way of putting it. Over the intervening millennia they've released loads of albums, some great, some awful, but always no less than interesting - and they're still capable of making exciting, inspiring & spine-tinglingly great music to this day, as their most recent album [i]Snakes & Arrows[/i] demonstrates.

And if you don't know who the bassist is - what the feck are you doing here? :)

Jon.

I'll be honest the three albums I always come back to are:

1) Every Time I Die - "Hot Damn!"
2) Norma Jean - "Bless the Martyr and Kiss the Child"
3) Stevie Wonder - "Songs in the Key of Life"

Bassist wise on the first two - nothing special, just hold the root, and ETID couldn't hold on to a bassist if their life depended on it. I think it was Nathan Watts on "Songs..."? Not sure about that though. Solid playing though :) .

Though at the moment I'm mostly listening to Paramore, The Mamas and the Papas, Jose Feliciano and The Smiths. Though the whole Paramore thing probably isn't so much to do with their music :huh:...

Edited by ashevans09

Favourite band ever?

King Curtis & Kingpins - bassist Jerry Jemmot; Tower of Power - bassist Rocco Prestia; Little Feat - bassist Kenny Gradney;
Steely Dan - bassist Chuck Rainey.

Which one? Any - depending on mood, time of day, etc., etc.,

Rhino