Why become a member? ×

Little Book of Ska - now plus gig vid!

hiram.k.hackenbacker

• 2 months later...

I'm depping with the wonderful Skamite again tonight.

I thought it would be a nice touch to get a scratch plate made for the Fender Flea Jazz that I will be using, so I asked Tim @ [url="http://www.originalscratchplates.com"]originalscratchplates.com[/url] to make this.

I think it turned out rather well.

Thanks Tim :)

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1412107722' post='2565793']
Just before Madness ensued....

[/quote]

Great set , have fun

Looks like Ade Edmonson with the glass :)

Edited by lojo

I think that pick guard is a nice touch for dep work.

Is it a thing then that depping musicians brand their instruments according to the client? The interchangeability of the pickguard lends itself very well to that notion. If you haven't already, it might be worth looking at machine screws and threaded inserts for wear resistance. If you change them often that is.

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1494753968' post='3298264']
Bloody horn players! (grin)
[/quote]

Yes, there may be an element of that to it. I know the regular bass player plays it with standard tuning. I find it a little odd as it feels like I'm playing it upside down that way.

Eb is how The Lambrettas did it anyhow.

• 1 year later...

It's Ska time again! Just starting to refresh my memory on these for a dep gig next month and learn the four new additions.

I think this is the best set out of all the ones I've been given so far.

I highly recommend depping for a Ska band if you ever get the chance. So much fun 😀

48356463_ScreenShot2018-08-25at21_23_26.thumb.png.bb273e4d13a5f5bdcec3e966935e56a3.png

• Like 1

On 22/09/2014 at 14:54, spacey said:

They will be a very busy band with a set like that.

This, I was formerly in a Ska Band doing similar sort of set

It does get a bit bloody boring after 2 years of playing the same 30-40 songs every week though!

Always a lot of fun though, and messing around with lyrics to songs like Sally Brown 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, gapiro said:

This, I was formerly in a Ska Band doing similar sort of set

It does get a bit bloody boring after 2 years of playing the same 30-40 songs every week though!

Always a lot of fun though, and messing around with lyrics to songs like Sally Brown 

You could be right there, but all the gigs I’ve done have been well attended with a crowd that are well into the music and scene. 

There are also quite a few songs in there that would keep me on my toes even if I was playing them regularly (Too Much Too Young/Baggy Trousers/Night Boat).

I'm a bit gutted they’ve dropped Poison Ivy as I really like playing that one, even though I have to detune for it.

• 2 years later...

Just getting my diary in order for the 'return to normality' (ha ha) and realised my next five gigs are with six different bands (also playing support on the fifth gig). More of a worry is that gig #3 is dep gig that I said yes to a couple of months back with this ska band. Fortunately the set will be the same as three posts above, but I haven't played any of it since Sept '18. Could be more of case of relearning than just refreshing my memory 😬.

Time to stop looking at 'Basses for Sale' and do some work I think.

• 1 year later...

Just been given the updated set for my dep gig this Saturday. All the usually suspects are present, but the there have been some additions that require my attention.

Great to see Poison Ivy back in, but that means my back up bass will be tuned down a half step. They play it in the key as recorded and their regular bass player plays the low E high, which to my ear sounds odd.

The set seems to be getting longer every time I play with these guys, but it makes a nice change compared to the material I usually play.

Screenshot 2022-07-20 at 08.40.04.png

Screenshot 2022-07-20 at 08.40.10.png

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Great set list, must be a bunch of fun playing those 

Yes, it is. They’re a good bunch and I’ve played with a couple of the band in various outfits over the years, so it’s a great atmosphere. Bizarrely there is only one song that crosses over to any of the other bands I’m in, so there has been a bit of homework prior to tonight’s rehearsal. I’m still questioning the wisdom of playing ‘Everything I Own’ at a wedding, but it’s not my band so 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rich said:

Nice :sun_bespectacled::hi:

These are the sets we'll be playing on Saturday night, after a shorter one at the Cider, Rum & Reggae festival at Trowbridge in the afternoon.

image.png.9a7700e2f42d0db9b322d00a2b056b60.png

Very similar. I'm a bit confused as to why my lot don't do Israelites. That would seem to be a ska standard as far as I'm concerned, but I'm far from an expert.

Nite Club makes an appearance now and again and I'm a bit sad when it's not in the set because I love playing it.

There's a couple in there that I'm not familiar with, so I'm going to go and have a listen 👍.