Why become a member? ×

Little Book of Ska - now plus gig vid!

hiram.k.hackenbacker

I'm going to be depping for a friend next weekend in his Ska band. It's not exactly my comfort zone in terms of musical genre, but I've had a tremendous amount of fun learning the set over the last week or so. I'm aware I seem to be the person who can't bring himself to say no to a gig. I swore after learning two hours of 80's classics late last year I would never put myself in that position again, but here we are. A few notes for each song and the setlist on the front. My little book of Ska.

I'm really looking forward to the mid-week rehearsal now I've cracked it and the gig should be a hoot!

Now I just have to find myself some Ska uniform.

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker
  • Like 2

I play in a Ska band and play quite a few of those tunes. It formed about 9 months ago and like you I was just throw in the deep end. Remember, bass in ska is the heart of the song so turn up the bass end and turn up the bass.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1411369706' post='2558715']
I'd love to play that but a set list would take me a month of Sundays to learn unfortunately and I can't transcribe so unless I could find the bass score I'd be stuffed :-(
[/quote]
The set does seem quite daunting on the face of it, but there are songs like The Prince which is a three note shape in the three positions of a blues scale and take no effort to learn. There are others. Tom Hark - basically another three note shape in two positions. A Message To You Rudy - a single five note shape. Stand By Me - five notes again etc etc. Admittedly the harder ones like Poison Ivy do tip the scales back the other way a bit, but that's the fun of it for me. Can't wait.

[quote name='Raslee' timestamp='1411412952' post='2559331']
Great set list, played a lot of them tracks too, love Nightboat to Cairo...but what no Ghost town :)
[/quote]
Yes, good call. Not really my place to shout about which songs to do as I'm only depping, but I will mention it to the guys. They have just added Night Club though, but that was only on Tuesday so a bit late in the day for me.
I was quite hoping I might be able to persuade them to do Time For Action (Secret Affair) but that hasn't happened yet either.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1411413892' post='2559347']
Yes, good call. Not really my place to shout about which songs to do as I'm only depping, but I will mention it to the guys. They have just added Night Club though, but that was only on Tuesday so a bit late in the day for me.
I was quite hoping I might be able to persuade them to do Time For Action (Secret Affair) but that hasn't happened yet either.
[/quote]

I was just about to say "it only needs Nite Klub now" and lo and behold it appears! Great set list - I'll come & see you if you're anywhere near us.

[quote name='tredders' timestamp='1412072909' post='2565287']
Sounded good to me! Looks like it was an enjoyable gig.
[/quote]
There was a very good on stage sound which was extremely helpful bearing in mind I had only rehearsed once with them. You can't see from this camera, but I was smiling all the way. It's just such fun to play.
[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1412098550' post='2565655']
Looks like it was a good crack. I wouldv`e watched the whole gig if it was all recorded
[/quote]
I'm going to try and find if the source has any other songs recorded. It do have a pre-gig photo as well. I'll try and get that uploaded.

• 2 years later...

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1411332183' post='2558547'] I'm going to be depping for a friend next weekend in his Ska band. It's not exactly my comfort zone in terms of musical genre, but I've had a tremendous amount of fun learning the set over the last week or so. I'm aware I seem to be the person who can't bring himself to say no to a gig. I swore after learning two hours of 80's classics late last year I would never put myself in that position again, but here we are. A few notes for each song and the setlist on the front. My little book of Ska. I'm really looking forward to the mid-week rehearsal now I've cracked it and the gig should be a hoot! Now I just have to find myself some Ska uniform. [/quote]

I bet you'll have fun!

My first experience with ska was when a drummer friend of mine asked me to come along to a rehearsal for a new band he was forming with a few other guys and they didn't have yet a bassist. I didn't know much about ska, I had rarely listened to any ska, it was not my thing... and every practice was such a mood lifting experience! Great fun. :)

edit: I just realised the date of the original post! :lol:

Edited by mcnach