Why become a member? ×

Recording Sound / Microphone and Bass

Chownybass

Hi

I've enjoyed a fair amount of success recording Bass directly using Amplitube 3 and although it is somewhat of a resource hog (on the Mac), it all works fine. Has anybody had any experience of recording voice at the same time?

I also need a recommendation for a microphone (USB if possible) that is affordable and gives a good enough quality of sound for Youtube video production.

Thanks in advance

What hardware are you currently using to record the bass? If it doesn't have two inputs already, you may be best off buying an audio interface with more inputs then you can plug in any mic and your bass. Then you are free to chop and change mics in the future.

If you want a USB mic the Rode Podcaster looks good. But make sure whatever software you are using to record can handle input from two different devices at once (most will be able to but some simple programs may not).

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1411126862' post='2556705']
What hardware are you currently using to record the bass? If it doesn't have two inputs already, you may be best off buying an audio interface with more inputs then you can plug in any mic and your bass. Then you are free to chop and change mics in the future.
[/quote]

I've got a USB bass cable but it only has one input. I was assuming (perhaps incorrectly) I could pop one device in each USB port.

That mic looks good for the money. Thanks.

[quote name='Chownybass' timestamp='1411127643' post='2556717']
I've got a USB bass cable but it only has one input. I was assuming (perhaps incorrectly) I could pop one device in each USB port.

That mic looks good for the money. Thanks.
[/quote]

If you're on PC, I don't think you can.

I think a neater solution for you would be and USB interface with 2 or 4 input. If you're certain you won't ever want to record more than one microphone + your bass/guitar DI at the same the Focusrite Scarlett Solo would be perfect for you: http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Focusrite-Scarlett-Solo-USB-Audio-Interface/1379?origin=product-ads&gclid=CM2K9JKf_MACFYXJtAod1xMAhw

However, personally I'd go a step up and get something with two microphone preamps instead of one, just in case you'd want to use two mics at the same time (acoustic guitar perhaps, or to mic up an amp, or to to do a stereo recording or... it's good to have the options!) - Scarlett 2i2 would do you then: https://www.musicmatter.co.uk/focusrite-scarlett-2i2?origin=google-product-ads&gclid=CK2KqeCf_MACFVGWtAodjFcA3Q

PS I'm recommending the Scarletts as they're the only USB interface I have any real experience with. There are dozens that will do the job.

Of course, going down this route means you'll also have to spend on a mic andsome cables - Rode M3 is a good, affordable and versatile mic for recording.

Aled