Why become a member? ×

Aguilar 751 alternative?

bassmasterwraith

:lol: There isn't one, IMO... but the TH is a decent little amp for smaller places.
Like other class D's it will struggle to add real weight to your sound, but volume and
tone-wise, it is a good effort.
The only things that I recall getting closer, would be the MB 400's or SVTll but the DB amp
is better, no doubt, IMO.

Guest monsterthompson

I have no experience with the DB751. I did listen to a few clips online. I have owned the Mesa M6 and say that there is some clean tone overlap. The M6 is big in the lows, and it is very clean. If you want that Aguilar dirt, then you won't get that. I think the low-mids are a bit more prominent on the M6 from the clips I heard. I haven't used the 600, but I did have a Walkabout. That is a very different Mesa flavor, and the M-pulse 600 and the WA are supposed to be similar, though most WA users say the 600 isn't a bigger WA. I obviously don't have a ton to add here, but I hope this little bit helps.

[quote name='bassmasterwraith' timestamp='1411137318' post='2556841']
The only reason I've not got a 751 is I can't afford one [b]and it's a little too loud[/b]
[/quote]

This is pertinent. The DB amp is a weighty beast in terms of putting out the sound
and there are quite a few gigs I do where it could be too much. Volume is one thing
but the sound carries very well and I've turned drummers green a few times.
Pure payback from my POV and gratifying just the same... :lol: but the amp can be
'mixed' well on the stage/playing area but be knocking down walls at the back.
This is why it isn't a pub amp and you shouldn't have one, IMO, if this is the vast majority
of the gigs you do. It can overpower the gig easily and if you are self mixing,
and you wont know until it is often too late.

This is what the TH500 is for, IMO.