Why become a member? ×

SOLD Gallien Krueger MBE-III combo FAULTY
£200

Manders Johnson

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]For sale is a GK MBE-III combo. It was purchased direct from GK in 2008 by myself. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Unfortunately it has an intermittent problem where it can distort and drop in volume from time to time. It is not a regular issue and comes and goes but obviously makes the amp unreliable. I have tried to get this fixed at several places including at the distributors but the problem never happens when they have the amp and I have no idea what triggers it. They have all cleaned the inputs and checked the obvious things like the pots. A long time ago the tip of a jack lead came off and got stuck in the input which was difficult to remove so perhaps that has something to do with it.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I am not sure about what price to put this up for so please do get in touch with offers. [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ideally this would be a bargain for someone who knows a bit about amps who could take it apart etc. I don't have that knowledge and paying a professional to find the problem would become so expensive as to be not worth it.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Eveything else is in good condition and cosmetically there are very few marks etc. When it works it sounds fantastic! It also has the manual.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I spend my time in South East London and Suffolk so collection or reasonable delivery in either of those locations or anywhere in between would be ideal. But I am happy to post if required.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If you have any questions please feel free to get in touch.[/font][/color]

[attachment=171962:DSC_0567.JPG]

[attachment=171963:DSC_0568.JPG]

[attachment=171964:DSC_0570.JPG]

[attachment=171965:DSC_0571.JPG]

Edited by Manders Johnson

I fix lots of amps and this problem definitely sounds like a jack socket problem especially around the area of send/return, preamp out/power amp-in or headphone - basically anything that interrupts the signal.

You can usually identify this by letting the amp warm up for quite a bit and then give the sockets a tap with something like a wooden spoon and see if the fault repeats. If it does, then these amps are relatively easy to work on and GK are helpful in supporting their products.

HTH