Why become a member? ×

Analog recording. ....... Does anyone still use tape ??

funkgod

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1413027454' post='2574271']
So much for my golden ears, then..! :lol:
[/quote]

:on_the_quiet:

yea nice tracks, i like 1.

here is an intresting read on the come back of tape,
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1997_articles/may97/reel2reelroundup.html

• 4 months later...

About a year to two years ago you could still get a tascam msr 24 for about 600 700,
It does seem tape is making a come back, as more and more people want a hybrid studio,
just spotted this on ebay and yep their on the way up,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tascam-MSR-24-track-24-channel-reel-to-reel-analogue-recorder-/141611889932?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20f8b9f50c#ht_274wt_975

[quote name='funkgod' timestamp='1427455891' post='2730556']
About a year to two years ago you could still get a tascam msr 24 for about 600 700,
It does seem tape is making a come back, as more and more people want a hybrid studio,
just spotted this on ebay and yep their on the way up,

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tascam-MSR-24-track-24-channel-reel-to-reel-analogue-recorder-/141611889932?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20f8b9f50c#ht_274wt_975"]http://www.ebay.co.u...0c#ht_274wt_975[/url]
[/quote]

Blimey! That's a lot of money for a Tascam...

The problem with machines of that level is that unlike a Studer they weren't really built to last. Fine for a decent home recording set up, but in a commercial studio, I can't see it staring up to the rigours of daily intensive use for very long. I wonder how easy it will be to repair or get spares even now? Also 1" tape - not a lot of tape width for each track.

Edited by BigRedX

they do seem to have lasted tho, time is testament to that, as you know Ranscombe use theirs all the time,
i have used my msr16 alot more than my 24, but they just keep going,

They are infact very well designed and made and almost modular, for ex there is a drop down flap on the front via two allen screws and all of the cards are right there at the front with all the pots for setting almost every parameter you would need, all accessable in 10 seconds ..just took these photos to give you an idea,...

[attachment=187614:1.jpg]
[attachment=187613:2.jpg]
[attachment=187616:4.jpg]
[attachment=187615:3.jpg]
[attachment=187617:5.jpg]

@ bigRedx..... that Theremin you used, was it an original one, and have you stil got it ?
i shudder to think (Theremin in the background) what that would be worth now :rolleyes:

Edited by funkgod

That drop down panel is there because you are supposed to check, and if necessary adjust all those settings in conjunction with a calibration tape every time you use the machine. The equivalent section in an Otari 2" 24-track machine is housed in a huge cabinet about the size of a washing machine.

The Terrortone Theremin is a Moog Etherwave from the days when the Moog theremins weren't allowed to sport the Moog logo in the UK - so a relatively recent one. Unfortunately on stage with Mr Venom it has had a hard life and is currently held together with glue, extra screws and a good helping of gaffer tape. The power supply input socket has recently failed, so I'm currently looking at more robust alternatives...

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1427465413' post='2730737']
That drop down panel is there because you are supposed to check, and if necessary adjust all those settings in conjunction with a calibration tape every time you use the machine. The equivalent section in an Otari 2" 24-track machine is housed in a huge cabinet about the size of a washing machine.

The Terrortone Theremin is a Moog Etherwave from the days when the Moog theremins weren't allowed to sport the Moog logo in the UK - so a relatively recent one. Unfortunately on stage with Mr Venom it has had a hard life and is currently held together with glue, extra screws and a good helping of gaffer tape. The power supply input socket has recently failed, so I'm currently looking at more robust alternatives...
[/quote]

Yea, i had joint owned an old studer 8 track that may as well have been a washing machine,
always seem to need something doin to it.
just age i think, so caps were a main concern.

i rarely touch the settings on the tascam's they are pritty stable,