Why become a member? ×

setting up bass and guitars

jonunders

I'm not sure what you need doing but if it's setting neck relief, action and intonation then they're pretty straight forward once you understand what's involved - changing strings sometimes demands that relief and intonation be adjusted so it's worth getting the hang of this if you can

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1410471010' post='2549895']

That's why I'm happy I can do my own; I set them up the way I want them :)
[/quote]

+1

I don't understand people who pay for basic setups. It's like owning a car and never learning how to top up the oil and water or put petrol in. Everybody should learn how to do it! :-)

The Watton guitar and bass center is about an hours drive away.
[url="http://watton-breckland.cylex-uk.co.uk/company/norfolk-guitar---bass-centre-17279413.html"]http://watton-breckl...e-17279413.html[/url]

Edited by Hobbayne

Look up a series of videos on YouTube by John Carruthers, I think they're on Elixir strings channel, he takes you through the basics. After some persuasion from the good folks here on BC I had my first go at it, with the JC video playing on my iPad while I did it, it's very satisfying! Last one I had done professionally was awful, took it to the same guy I've used many times, not sure if he was having an off day because he's usually very good. I didn't have time to check it when I picked it up and as he'd done plenty of stuff for me before, I didn't think there was any need, but when I got it home and played it, it was a buzzing mess. That sort of convinced me I had to learn how to do it and give it a go.

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1410510547' post='2550121']
Look up a series of videos on YouTube by John Carruthers, I think they're on Elixir strings channel, he takes you through the basics. After some persuasion from the good folks here on BC I had my first go at it, with the JC video playing on my iPad while I did it, it's very satisfying! Last one I had done professionally was awful, took it to the same guy I've used many times, not sure if he was having an off day because he's usually very good. I didn't have time to check it when I picked it up and as he'd done plenty of stuff for me before, I didn't think there was any need, but when I got it home and played it, it was a buzzing mess. That sort of convinced me I had to learn how to do it and give it a go.
[/quote]
I like my own set up and did one for a bass ern500evo had off Ebay but I bet it wasn't exactly how you like it was it Lee?

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1410515003' post='2550200']

I like my own set up and did one for a bass ern500evo had off Ebay but I bet it wasn't exactly how you like it was it Lee?
[/quote]
Well I haven't felt the need to change anything and it plays lovely, so either I'm easily pleased or you got it spot on Pete!!

[quote name='Ross' timestamp='1410523832' post='2550349']
It's a skill well worth learning, it's easy enough if you have some basic tools.

Especially on Bass, much easier to set up than guitars in my opinion. Guitars are a pain in the arse - less margin for error.
[/quote]
Yeh
I was reading this thread thinking "Why have I never bothered to learn this? " lol

I learned a HUGE amount about setups from a youtube channel called 'Dave's world of fun stuff', he's a bassist who films his entertaining guitar & bass setups, but be warned, Dave is strangely addictive & you may well find new sayings entering your vocabulary such as "GOOCHED!!!" & "son of a seacook". He's on Facebook too. Enjoy!

[quote name='kristinaelias' timestamp='1410558085' post='2550892']
I learned a HUGE amount about setups from a youtube channel called 'Dave's world of fun stuff', he's a bassist who films his entertaining guitar & bass setups, but be warned, Dave is strangely addictive & you may well find new sayings entering your vocabulary such as "GOOCHED!!!" & "son of a seacook". He's on Facebook too. Enjoy!
[/quote]

+1 for Dave and his practical approach to guitar setup & repair. He's funny and answers questions occasionally.

Check his vids out here: [url="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOXNPo7CtnzzZ9A4GyQ6Tog"]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOXNPo7CtnzzZ9A4GyQ6Tog[/url]

[quote name='kristinaelias' timestamp='1410558085' post='2550892']
I learned a HUGE amount about setups from a youtube channel called 'Dave's world of fun stuff'[/quote]

Dave is a legend :)

I do most basic set up stuff myself. But there are occasions when I take an instrument to a 'pro' guitar tech - I use Jack's Instrument Services in Manchester.

I always learn new things from Jack and he does a superb job. So I wouldn't totally discount hiring a professional tech - I just wouldn't use one ALL the time.