Why become a member? ×

But I don't want the new U2 album on my phone :-(

malbass

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Not much love for Bonio or Apple in Private Eye this week as it points out theirs is a "match made in havens" . . . . tax havens, that is, of course.

The piece goes on to describe how Apple avoids 'tens of billions' of tax by funnelling sales outside USA through the Irish Republic, while Bonio and fellow U2ers ramped up their tax avoidance by switching their songwriting, royalties and licensing business to the Netherlands, helping to boost their £500m+ fortune.

With all this tax being saved, no wonder $100m can be frittered away so trivially. Funny how some people can get up in arms about tax avoiding 'fat cat bankers' but appear to be fairly relaxed about their favourite gadget company or band doing exactly the same thing - and on a far greater scale. Edited by flyfisher

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1411030593' post='2555657']...Funny how some people can get up in arms about tax avoiding 'fat cat bankers' but appear to be fairly relaxed about their favourite gadget company or band doing exactly the same thing - and on a far greater scale.
[/quote]

We've been here before, and not a few times. Apparently, the consensus is that there is nothing immoral about making, legally, a few million more than the millions already amassed. Better not start up again about 'fairness', either; doesn't ring a bell with all here. Oh well...

Genius marketing ploy from Bono and the boys. Fans who already like them will be talking about how great it is that they got the new album for free. People that hate them will all be talking about how bad it is that they had the new album forced upon them, which will generate publicity for the band. People who aren't really fans will probably give it a listen before deciding to delete it so they might gain a few new fans anyway.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1411033482' post='2555713']
it's more the inconsistency
[/quote]

It's the inconsistency I can't muster. It's a well known fact that 99% of evil corporations aren't even 100% pure evil, and it's about time the people on our planet regained some power so they could force these corporations!
I say: buy a Windows pc and hurt Apple, then buy a Mac and hurt the other guys!
To battle!
:D

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1411056547' post='2556063']
Well, I've got a Windows PC, and iPad and an Android phone - will that do? :D
[/quote]

I think it will indeed. It already hurt my eyes, so I guess these multinational evil ones are shivering of your and my combined efforts (me also having got a Windows PC, an iPad and an Android phone). :)

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1410868218' post='2554010']
If someone broke into your house (with no damage) and left a copy on your coffee table would you be thankful or would you think it was a bloody cheek?
[/quote]

With his customary acuity Mr Fisher once again nails the nub of the matter. And - recalling the burgeoning commercial association between U2 and Fender - what other horrors await?

Consider the following: It is darkest night and one is abed. Suddenly one's lady wife nudges one in the ribs and whispers 'Hector! Hector! There's someone downstairs. Chase them off!'.

Arming oneself appropriately one descends on tiptoe and flings the switch to the living room lights. There, frozen in his smirking, emaciated vileness is Mr Adam Clayton.

No matter that he may protest that he was merely and charitably in the course of depositing an example of his Fender 'Signature' Precision for one's estimation and approval. No matter that it may or may not be to one's benefit to give house room to his signally unprepossessing instrument.

Mr Clayton is where he should not be and [i]that[/i] is all that matters.

I am not a prejudiced man but in such circumstances I would have no compunction in drawing a bead on the bridge of Mr Clayton's smug, haughty nose with my Webley .455 and depressing the firing mechanism. I should submit any consequent redecoration costs to the U2 Corporation for immediate payment and esteem myself satisfied.

While common presumptuousness may underlie U2's marketing exercise I see no reason to surrender the right to self-defence.
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1411330718' post='2558532']...I see no reason to surrender the right to self-defence.[color=#ffffff].[/color]
[/quote]

This explains why [i]your [/i]household is no longer visited by Santa Claus, I suppose, and no elven fingers for the upkeep of your footwear. :mellow:

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1411330925' post='2558536']
This explains why [i]your [/i]household is no longer visited by Santa Claus, I suppose, and no elven fingers for the upkeep of your footwear. :mellow:
[/quote]

Flagrant trespass merits the sternest and most [i]final[/i] of responses. I make no apology for my prescription; it is what any right-thinking man would do.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1410440110' post='2549453']
Great marketing move from U2... wonder how much that cost them..???

My phone is music free unless I youtube it. That is not what I want from it, tbh.
[/quote]

According to Private Eye this week Apple paid Bonio and friends £100 million to use their new album.

Edited by lonestar

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1411049889' post='2555965']
I've followed them since 1983, and they have lost me with this hopelessly self indulgent piece of junk
I don't care that they put it on my iphone, but I am very glad I didn't have to pay to find out what it's like
[/quote]
Give it a few more listens. It's a grower.

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1411334430' post='2558592']
Just finished reading the Walter Isaacson biography of Steve Jobs. You iStuff users should think yourselves very, very lucky it's only one U2 album and not the entire Bob Dylan back catalogue, including bootlegs, that appeared on your devices over night.
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes, it explains a lot doesn't it.

A little thought exercise, putting myself in the shoes of today's youthful iTunes account holders: U2 were what the young folk were listening to about thirty years ago. I was a young folk in the seventies... so if iTunes had been around then, I'd now be wondering what the &^%£ the new Glenn Miller Band album was doing in my collection...

well,I take your point that U2 arent really appealing to a seventeen year old but Apple are legally allowed to put it there, unless you actively decline it and/or actively decline any future "gifts", so its not something that any Apple user can reasonably complain about; they agreed to Apple doing this activity. I'm not suggesting it was a masterful stroke, or well judged in any respect by the way, just that they are only doing it because they can, with your prior agreement.