Why become a member? ×

But I don't want the new U2 album on my phone :-(

malbass

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1410868218' post='2554010']
I think it's the 'given' thing that rankles. Sure, they've made it very easy to delete if you don't want it, but it would have caused them less adverse publicity if they had 'offered' the album and made it just as easy for someone to choose to accept it.

If someone broke into your house (with no damage) and left a copy on your coffee table would you be thankful or would you think it was a bloody cheek?
[/quote]

But your itunes account hasn't been broken into. As with most of these things people don't read terms and conditions (i don't), mainly because the iTunes one is longer than Macbeth to put people of reading that companies can pretty much do what they want.

What adverse publicity ?

[url="http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/entertainment/celebrities_gossip/20140914_WENN_U2_s_back_catalog_gets_sales_bump_after_surprise_album_release.html"]http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/entertainment/celebrities_gossip/20140914_WENN_U2_s_back_catalog_gets_sales_bump_after_surprise_album_release.html[/url]

If doing something like this means that a large part of your back catalog starts reselling, then it can't be bad publicity.

:)

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1410868561' post='2554021']
What adverse publicity ?
[/quote]

https://gigaom.com/2014/09/10/u2-on-my-phone/

Yes, they say that there's no such thing as bad publicity, but I suspect it's just the marketing suits that like the phrase.

As for a back catalogue sales blip, would that not have been expected when a new album is released by any major artist? I guess we'll never know in this case.

I agree it's all a bit 'storm in a teacup' and that some people love to have a moan, especially if it means giving Apple a bit of a kicking, but it'll all be forgotten next week.

Well, except, perhaps, by the poor guy who talked Apple into spending $100m on the whole fiasco :lol:

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1410867414' post='2553994']
If you don't like it just delete it.
[/quote]

Hm... that's what spam emaillers used to say.

[quote name='Joeyfivebags' timestamp='1410868466' post='2554014']
... terms and conditions ... longer than Macbeth
[/quote]

Did you know that Macbeth is Shakespeare's shortest play? :D

[quote name='Joeyfivebags' timestamp='1410868466' post='2554014']
But your itunes account hasn't been broken into. As with most of these things people don't read terms and conditions (i don't), mainly because the iTunes one is longer than Macbeth to put people of reading that companies can pretty much do what they want.
[/quote]

Are you a lawyer? ;) I've no doubt you're technically correct, but when someone wakes up in the morning to find an unwanted, or at least unrequested, new album on their smartphone or iPad then they are going to think that someone has 'broken into' their library of music, which is what's fuelling all the anti-Apple guff flying around the internet right now. The fact that clause 743, paragraph 28.6.11(B), section vii of the iTunes EULA clearly states this is permissible and perfect legal will not be foremost in people's mind when they have their WTF moment. :D

He is technically correct . It is in the EULA that you agreed to (whether or not you read the terms, it's not up to apple to make you read or understand them, the law assumes that you are bound by them in either case and allows you to choose to read in detail or not). They freely tell you how to stop it happening and how to remove it once it has happened so it never happens again. Both procedures are easy to accomplish.

I'm not saying that it was a sensible decision on their part, just that you agreed they could do it.

Indeed. And I'm sure Apple spent a few $m getting a firm legal opinion about the whole exercise as well as the $100m for Bonio and pals.

The irony is that all the people moaning are the ones who have paid inflated prices for their Apple shiny in the first place and thereby enabled Apple to amass such a huge cash mountain that it can easily afford to p1ss away $100m on upsetting people :lol:

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1410872105' post='2554104']
Indeed. And I'm sure Apple spent a few $m getting a firm legal opinion about the whole exercise as well as the $100m for Bonio and pals.
[/quote]
They don't need an opinion - it's perfectly simple legally. Basic contract law, year one. If there are terms that are applicable and made available, you should read them and cannot rely on ignorance of them or their implications.

Edited by Geek99

As with all these things, a few vocal upset people on the internet is not a good representation of any damage or good that has been achieved by this.

If anything it has proved that people looks for others to blame before themselves. And even worse, I doubt the people using words such as hacking and breaching will read any future terms and conditions any more closely that they did the iTunes ones.

Evil Apple indeed....

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' timestamp='1410630130' post='2551476']
Could be worse - I've just seen on twitter that people with blackberries are getting a Nickleback album sent to their phones
[/quote]

Thank F*** I've just moved to a Nexus 5 in that case.

The horror, the horror...

Don't get the huge fuss over this though, just delete it.. or is that somehow 'difficult' on crapple products?

[quote name='malbass' timestamp='1410438291' post='2549418']
Sitting there bold as brass between Tom Waits and Various Artists:
[/quote]

I'm embarrassed to admit that it sits between Tom Waits and Van Halen on mine (so so close to Van Morrison and all the associated Celtic credibility as well) :rolleyes:

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1410872975' post='2554124']
They don't need an opinion - it's perfectly simple legally. Basic contract law, year one. If there are terms that are applicable and made available, you should read them and cannot rely on ignorance of them or their implications.
[/quote]

You might be surprised what directors of American public companies pay their corporate lawyers for 'opinions' about, such is the concern about being sued for getting things wrong. They'd probably get a legal opinion about whether they could release a statement about the sky being blue :lol: Not because they don't know that the sky is blue but because they could then prove their diligence in obtaining professional advice about its colour and not 'shooting from the hip' in an irresponsible and negligent manner.

Daft? of course, but so many things are when it comes to arse-covering and public liability when you've got ambulance-chasing law firms out there just waiting for a juicy class action lawsuit to pounce upon.

How about paying a PR firm around $4000 to release your quarterly financial results just so that you can't be accused of being negligent in getting the information out there - meaning onto the newswire services rather than simply posting on your website for all the world to see? of course it's a waste of money, but it's also cast iron proof that you have not been negligent in publishing the information as required by law. And yes, I'm speaking from personal experience.

I like U2 :ph34r: so this is quite a nice surprise. I have downloaded the album from the Mysterious Magic Cloud to my Mac, but I have just bought a fistful of CDs, so U2 will have to get in line behind Steve Earle, Bo Diddley, Robert Plant, Merle Travis, Bob Wills, and Freddy Fender [no relation].

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1410902909' post='2554619']
I like U2 :ph34r: so this is quite a nice surprise. I have downloaded the album from the Mysterious Magic Cloud to my Mac, but I have just bought a fistful of CDs, so U2 will have to get in line behind Steve Earle, Bo Diddley, Robert Plant, Merle Travis, Bob Wills, and Freddy Fender [no relation].
[/quote]
I'd take 'I Love My Rancho Grande' over any U2 toon any day. :D

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1410873528' post='2554135']
Thank F*** I've just moved to a Nexus 5 in that case.

The horror, the horror...

Don't get the huge fuss over this though, just delete it.. or is that somehow 'difficult' on crapple products?
[/quote]

Crapple - love it :)

I find Apple stuff intuitive, you want to do something and the way you do it is logical, to me. Windows stuff on the other hand totally baffles me :)

I'm really not a fan of U2 so I wondered what people were going on about, I thought they'd just offered it for free to download on iTunes, then just looked through my list and realised it's actually on my phone.... Highly doubt I'll ever play it so to the delete bin it goes [no offence to any U2 fans on here but, meh]