Why become a member? ×

Can someone recommend a funny book....

the boy

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1410383063' post='2548936']
Are we talking music themed, as we're in General Discussion?
[/quote]
Preferably not music themed. I've read enough stories and tales about crazy bands and their antics etc etc... So I'm basically looking for a good laugh.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1410383883' post='2548952']
Wow some good recommendations there. I'll post info on my choice and how I got on. I'm not sure about Terry P though, isn't it all a bit ghouls and goblins. Please let me know if I'm wrong as I'm always open to new ideas.
[/quote]

Not about Ghouls etc. About a disfunctional wizzard for the first two books. A very humorous take on life in general. Got to be worth a try. First two are fairly short books.

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1410384162' post='2548961']

Not about Ghouls etc. About a disfunctional wizzard for the first two books. A very humorous take on life in general. Got to be worth a try. First two are fairly short books.
[/quote]
Ok... The colour of magic it is then. Bought downloaded and soon to be consumed. Thank you.

'My Family And Other Animals', Gerald Durrell. Not a comedy, but fun to read and funny as well.

Second vote for Mr Pratchett's 'Small Gods'.

Stella Gibbons, 'Cold Comfort Farm' - a classic, in its class-riddled way.

Damon Runyon makes me smile.

Also, see if you can find a Best Of Beachcomber.

I think I'm showing my age here - most of these are pre-1940... (okay, that does mean I'd be showing someone else's age :D )

In a non-fiction vein, I like Tim Bradford's The Groundwater Diaries. It's a sort of travelogue following the lost rivers of London which keeps digressing into ramblings about high-strength lager and the Danish punk scene.
For fiction, I'd recommend Magnus Mills' The Restraint of Beasts. It's an extremely dry, deadpan sort of humour in a book which is written in a deceptively simple manner.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1410385767' post='2548994']
James Thurber
[/quote]

Ah! Great call!

Also, IMS, Kinky Friedman's "Greenwich Killing Time" as well as his "A Case Of Lone Star" were funny.

If translated to English:
Knut Pettersen's "The Patients" (aka "The Pig Farm") had me in stitches.