Why become a member? ×

HOW many bands???

indiegrungesound

I don't think how many is all that important, it is what you do with them that is.
could I handle more than 1 atm..? not with the same level of commitment and I'd soon get into
trouble with the diary and with that it would cause quite a problem, so one is a big deal and anything
else is decidely 2nd place. Would the other bands accept or like that..?? only if their own
commitments were low key. They'd find pretty soon that I'd be 'out' more often than not and would ask
me to make a choice.
So, 1 regular band and the rest are deps, and the problem with deps is that people give up calling if
you can't do a few gigs. They get someone else...

I'm in one band.... Like others have said, with work, family, life commitments I couldn't commit to more than that.

I feel pretty busy most of the time..... Hats off to those of you in five bands, but with a full time job, a husband, a nephew and niece, pets, allotment, cycling etc etc etc, I reckon I'd keel over in a week if I added any more commitments!

Two. Requires total focus on diary balancing. One is definitely my main priority band and the other is lots of fun with great people but as I made my position clear when they asked me to join they are very understanding about where my priority is.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1410551990' post='2550790']
Requires total focus on diary balancing.
[/quote]

+1

That's definitely the secret.

I use a Google diary that I make available to all the bands I play in and musicians I work with.
They book the time slots they want and all accept that it's first come first served.

I've only had one booking clash in the last three years and that just took a couple of calls to reschedule and everyone was happy. :)

The secret is to be in bands where the other guys are also playing in other bands.

My experience is that better players will be in demand. I'd rather play every other gig with a great player than every gig with Mr Average.

Of course you need access to good deps, but then, if you find them, there are a lot of top players out there who will do a great job for you.

Edited by chris_b

I am actually contemplating another unit and I know who I would ask to be part of it, but
the transient nature of the unit is not going to do as well as my main band as they wouldn't be able to
gear up to the better gig well enough. This would be purely a time thing as all the players would be
choosen ...but they will ALL be busy so getting them all together at one point would be very fraught
and nigh on impossible, very often.
This means a LOT of work to get to decent gigs beyond the pub rate, which is another bone of contention.
How can I drag these people off a gig for pub money? They may love the idea but they will be committed
elsewhere so you can't have a rehearsed outfit .. no doubt the band will have talent and be able to do good gigs
but it will basically be a jamming band and there is a limit to how far that can go in practical terms.
I have 2 of each player in mind but long term planning just can't happen so by the very nature you will struggle to
get beyond the pub thing. This doesn't make it unworthwhile, but it makes it a dep unit flying by the skin on its teeth
and I don't think there is enough mileage in it for the effort.
I still have it in mind to do.... I am just realistic to think that these people might honestly take a booking with me, but
with get a last minute 'better' gig and it will be an admin excercise/nightmare. I don't need that hassle so would want more
money out of it than the gig would pay and then the guys would be on wages ... That can lead to problems when the gig isn't then
equal share. These guys run their own 'careers' so they know the score.
I am sure it is a very good idea, would be great fun, by and large, but ultimately limited in how far the band can go.
It wouldn't be my main band...unless it REALLY took off, and it wouldn't be anyone elses either so there would always be
'better' gigs to battle with. For example, sat night gigs would never ever be a starter...
I am compiling the CD tho as the material to work from... :lol: :lol:

I have to say that gigging 2 nights most weeks and often 3 nights, plus rehearsing once a week when we can, one band is quite enough for me and my wife !! I do sub in with a couple of Big Bands I used to play with - it's nice to play some jazz and swing for a change and keeps my sight reading sharp.

1 here. We're pretty busy, and we're all fully into what we do.

Got a new drummer recently, and the proviso was that he wasn't in anything else - just adds complications and clashes. Fairplay if you can balance it, but every second band-er I've ever played with has always had the 'can't do....' thing. Members in just 1 ready to go, but getting held back by the other with too many commitments. Always helps if you're all on the same page.

We can get together at a moments notice if needs be, which means we're always busy most week of the year doing something!

[quote name='HaNgMaN' timestamp='1410517982' post='2550245']
I'm in 3. Do you tell them that you are also playing in other bands?
[/quote]

They will do. The 2nd band aren't gig ready yet. I've also told them that the 1st band, who have a gig in November, are the priority. Also, the lads from the 1st band have openly stated that they have no problem if I had other bands on the go.
I also think that-though this could be a long shot-both bands could easily be on the same bill. Both are influenced by '90s alternative/indie rock, but are Yin & Yang tone wise. I.e. Band 1 are akin to The Afghan Whigs, whilst Band 2 are nearer The Lemonheads.

Depends how you calculate it: I spend most of my time between my wedding band and an original disco/funk/soul act but I have plans for a jazzy/fusion fun band with a couple of friends. I am also a member of the Edinburgh's Got Soul house band but that only demands 2 gigs per year with 2/3 rehearsals each time. I also dep regularly (not like clockwork but I get asked either a lot or before anyone else) with 2 very busy wedding bands throughout the year. I also play with a neo-soul band but we tend to only rehearse when a gig is imminent. So... 5 that I am THE guy for and a few that I fill in for.