Why become a member? ×

How Long at the Pub?

bassace

I've always done a few gigs at the pub. It's less formal than a club, concert hall, theatre etc and it can be a lot of fun. Trouble is the pubs don't/can't pay much but we all know and accept that. I'd be interested to know how long BCers gigs go on for, set lengths, start/finish time etc.

When I've got some comments I'll come in a little later with a small problem I've got. Thanks guys.

We used to go on around 9, play till about 10.15, have a 20 min break and play till around 12 ish, depending on how well we were going down.

I personally don`t like too long a break, as you work to get the place going and then you stop and have to build it again.

We do three sets of roughly an hour each with a half hour break after set one then about fifteen minutes after second set. We start at 10 ish and finish about 1.30 . I too have a problem with taking breaks just when it's getting busy and you end up losing folk cos the bar doesn't put music on . Our guitarist annoys me cos he has to have his breaks for a fag and I'm standing listening to every bugger laying off cost they've just come in and want some music

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1410040624' post='2545660']
I guess you guys that play longer are getting more than our standard £600 for these gigs?
[/quote]
Really ? :o

Anyway, back on topic, 2 x 45/50 mins, tonights start was 9.45 and 11 for the second spasm.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1410052903' post='2545741']
Usually asked to do 2x60 mins, tonight was supposed to be 2x45 mins but both sets ended up at round an hour each after encores. And we don't get £600 even with a fairly famous recording artist as our lead singer.
[/quote]

Wow Jenny Haan, loved Babe Ruth, unusual sound at the time and she had such energy on stage. Still have Wells Fargo and The Mexican on the iPod

Oh day dreaming about Babe Ruth and I forgot. We currently do 2x45 mins with a new band building a set but my previous bands tended to do 2x1hr. 2x45 is generally too short for a pub who ideally want you to go from 9.00-12.00 which extends the drinking for as long as possible whilst not annoying the neighbours too much. A poll on Lemonrock a year or so ago came out with an average figure of just over £200 for pub gigs.

We only get £300 for a pub gig but there's a band who have started undercutting everyone else and playing for £150 which is annoying every other band who have always had an unwritten rule to charge similarly. I suppose it's up to them but we feel that it's kind if cheating to get more gigs

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1410071451' post='2545758']
Wow Jenny Haan, loved Babe Ruth, unusual sound at the time and she had such energy on stage. Still have Wells Fargo and The Mexican on the iPod
[/quote]
She'd be pleased to hear that! She is still full of energy and her voice is as good as ever. It sometimes seems unreal to be sharing a stage with her, but she gives it everything, even in rehearsal.

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1410034460' post='2545624']
We do three sets of roughly an hour each with a half hour break after set one then about fifteen minutes after second set. We start at 10 ish and finish about 1.30 . I too have a problem with taking breaks just when it's getting busy and you end up losing folk cos the bar doesn't put music on . Our guitarist annoys me cos he has to have his breaks for a fag and I'm standing listening to every bugger laying off cost they've just come in and want some music
[/quote]

MP3 or CD player going through the PA between sets helps. ;)