Why become a member? ×

‘Hoshe Mamba’ by London Zulu (remix)

Skol303

I’ve just finished working on a remix of the super-excellent [i]‘Hoshe Mamba’[/i] by London Zulu - an outfit comprising members of Transglobal Underground and featuring Basschat’s very own xilddx on bass!

The brief was to turn the original into a “banging club track” and that’s hopefully what I’ve achieved. It was first aired about a week ago at Divan du Monde (nightclub) in Paris and went down very well with the crowd there, so mission accomplished on that front ;)

Have a listen, crank it up and I hope you enjoy it:

http://soundcloud.com/skollob/hoshe-mamba-remix

Thanks to Nige for putting this opportunity my way - hugely appreciated mate!

It was a really fun track to work with and the original material top notch, which always makes things [i]sooo[/i] much easier.

Critical feedback very welcome, as always.

Cheers!

Paul

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1410193847' post='2546996']
Big thumbs up from me!
[/quote]

Cool! You can download Skol's remix for free from the TGU website if you want.

http://www.reverbnation.com/transglobalunderground/song/21763873-hoshe-mamba-skol-remix?1336410755

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1410193847' post='2546996']Big thumbs up from me![/quote]
[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1410331745' post='2548157']I LOVE it! Fabulous work [/quote]

^ Thanks both! Really glad you like it and cheers for taking the time to have a listen - greatly appreciated :drinks:

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1410301466' post='2548090']You can download Skol's remix for free from the TGU website if you want.

[url="http://www.reverbnation.com/transglobalunderground/song/21763873-hoshe-mamba-skol-remix?1336410755"]http://www.reverbnat...emix?1336410755[/url]
[/quote]

Cheers for the heads-up Nige :) Tim mentioned he was going to put it online in advance of your upcoming gig on the 19th. Hope that goes well mate - it looks like a really good night out.

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't it wonderful the way that everyone's treatment is different..? I've just given this a listen-to for the first time, and can only be in admiration [size=4]of the finely crafted needlework required to create such a scintillating result. We're close to brilliance; I can't imagine the time that must have been spent on the project. Hat well and truly doffed, sir. Having had the opportunity to mess with the original, the contrast in treatment could hardly be greater. Leaving aside the technical mastery shown here (my meagre efforts are in no way comparable...), the initial subject has been completely transformed, pulling it into an unimagined dimension. I'm not a 'clubber', so cannot judge the impact this would have in such a context, but it stands up firmly on its own merits as a composition for intimate listening very well. Kudos, Master.[/size]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167486]

[quote name='ironside1966' timestamp='1411063155' post='2556158']Exceptional piece of work, sounds great.[/quote]
[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1411064901' post='2556176']
Isn't it wonderful the way that everyone's treatment is different..? I've just given this a listen-to for the first time, and can only be in admiration [size=4]of the finely crafted needlework required to create such a scintillating result...[/size][/quote]

Sincere thanks, chaps! You guys are no slouches when it comes to producing, so it means a lot to have such nice feedback from you - and everyone else.

The remix took several months to finish... that wasn't solid work, of course! In fact it dragged on unnecessarily because I was caught up in the stress of moving house soon after I took on the project, so kept getting distracted and working on it in fits and starts. Oddly enough - or perhaps typically - I put the first rough mix together in about a day and that ended up being what the band liked the best! I then spent time adding lots of frills and little details, which I often do, only to remove these in the final mix in order to simplify the track and capture the 'raw' essence I managed to nail in my first attempt.

A lesson learned in doing too much and getting caught up in unnecessary 'flannel'. And a prime example of the old sayig that the [i]"mute button is the best tool in mixing"[/i] ;)

I must say that I much prefer the end result to my initial 'final' mix and it was very easy bouncing ideas and comments between myself and Tim at London Zulu/TGU, who gave me loads of freedom to do what I liked with it. I took the decision to drop the classical 'requiem' sample completely - I thought it was such a strong 'ident' that my remix would be dictated by it if I let it stay - and instead focussed on the bassline (natch ;)) and the kora melody, which together gave a really good basis for a new interpretation of it. Bearing in mind that the brief was to produce a "banging club track!"

The synth bass took a lot of tweaking and automation (I'm a geek, I like that sort of thing) but at its core is Nige's b-line from the original track, which features unadulterated during the breakdown half-way through the remix.

Anyway... 'twas fun! And again, cheers for the feedback :drinks:

Edited by Skol303

• 2 weeks later...

Just been treated to some airplay of this remix on the Madera Verde show on SOAS Radio (London):

[url="http://www.mixcloud.com/bonanzamusic/madera-verde-on-soas-radio-season-5-show-1/"]http://www.mixcloud.com/bonanzamusic/madera-verde-on-soas-radio-season-5-show-1/[/url]

It's a really good show and well worth listening to from start to finish.

Big thanks to Chris Greenwood for playing it :)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1411918496' post='2563872']
Just been treated to some airplay of this remix on the Madera Verde show on SOAS Radio (London):

[url="http://www.mixcloud.com/bonanzamusic/madera-verde-on-soas-radio-season-5-show-1/"]http://www.mixcloud....eason-5-show-1/[/url]

It's a really good show and well worth listening to from start to finish.

Big thanks to Chris Greenwood for playing it :)
[/quote]

That's fantastic mate!! Nice stuff!

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1411990812' post='2564546']That's fantastic mate!! Nice stuff![/quote]
Innit! :) 'Tis a good radio show too... I've since subscribed to it.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1411993990' post='2564600']Like it, Skol and Nige![/quote]
Thanks Clarky! Much appreciated.

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1412228538' post='2566872']
Really good mix Skol.
Nice and driving.
[/quote]

Thanks Garry! Really appreciate you having a listen mate. I used lots of different compression to give the track some 'wallop' - especially on the drums, which I hit hard with Softube's Dynamite compressor/limiter (a really nice and versatile plug-in if you're interested) amongst other things.

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1412280657' post='2567531']
Having put what I thought were some final touches to mine , I thought I would pop over for a listen ,WOW , it makes me realise how far off the pace I am , superb work Paul , brilliant .
[/quote]

Cheers Kev! And don't be daft :D ...I'm sure you're very much on the pace for whatever style you've chosen for your own remix (that's the beauty of remixing). Bear in mind that bangin' electronic stuff is generally what I do, so this was very much in my comfort zone. Lots of different ways to approach this track - I just did it my way... [i]sorry, I've just gone all Sinatra for some reason![/i]