Why become a member? ×

D'addario Flawounds dissapointment

markdavid

I am just wondering what peoples opinions on Daddaro flats are, I have just bought a pack of these and have found that the strings are way too bright and to top this off the A string is dead and rattles like mad. Will probably end up putting my old strings back on which is a shame as I was after some flats

[quote name='markdavid' post='25957' date='Jul 2 2007, 12:34 PM']I am just wondering what peoples opinions on Daddaro flats are, I have just bought a pack of these and have found that the strings are way too bright and to top this off the A string is dead and rattles like mad. Will probably end up putting my old strings back on which is a shame as I was after some flats[/quote]

Try LaBella Deep Talkin' FLs and never look back.

Mark, as I have 3 basses with Chromes on I would advise playing them for a while before you judge them.

They loose that 'new string twang' after a coulple of weeks and settle down into a lovely warm ' upright double bass' thwump. Also they seem quite sharp edged when new and they need to be played a fair bit before they loose that.... but once they do they are superb. Occasionally you'll get a string that twangs a bit when new ( I have a D string that did it for about a week until it stretched) but they do usually settle down.

The set on my Swampy PRS have been on since November (played most days) and sound marvelous now......... You dont mention what bass you put them on, and if you adjusted string height or intonation (bear in mind flatties need to be a little more taught to make the same note as round wounds..... if you knew that I apologise!)

"[i]Be patient young Jedi paduan....."[/i]

Thanks for the replies, I have taken the flats back to the shop who have swapped the A string for me so thats that sorted, will put A string on and will see how these flats go once they have been broken in as I have read some good things about them

I first used flats last year and was, at first, seriously underwhelmed. Guess what? After a month or so I went back to a bass with my old standard rounds on and woah! could not stand the ott zingy brightness. As other have said give 'em a bit of time you may grow to love them and they will alter subtly. Mine are Rotosound, BTW. Never found a string to match them for reliability.

[quote name='markdavid' post='26942' date='Jul 4 2007, 12:45 PM']Thanks for the replies, I have taken the flats back to the shop who have swapped the A string for me so thats that sorted, will put A string on and will see how these flats go once they have been broken in as I have read some good things about them[/quote]

Good man!, great news the shop swapping the A string for you. I wipe mine down with GHS Fast Fret after every time I play, in a couple of weeks they will start to get shiny and become lovely to play. If you can just be patient I believe you find out why we like them......

:)

MD, Fast Fret doesnt make 'em break in quicker but keeps 'em clean and helpd to make 'em smoooov so you can slide without removing the callouses form your finger ends ....... :) (combined with playing helps to polish them)

In my experience it takes a good couple of weeks for that Ppppppzing to go and of course it goes gradually so you get used the new tone. I have noticed that the tone is slightly brighter on both mine with Rosewood f-boards. The Maple one just sounds wonderful even with new ones, but after they have bedded they are IMO perfect......

Good luck......