Why become a member? ×

Examples of 'Root Notes Only'

Annoying Twit

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1410153904' post='2546544']
Oasis are like most singer songwriter acts, it's all about the vocals. The music is there to provide a canvas, it's not part of the artwork.
The bassline is there just to do a simple foundation. They could have easily have had better basslines on every oasis song.
[/quote]

I wouldn't say every song, some of their later stuff and a few early B-sides had some decent non root note only basslines.

Go Let It Out
Listen Up
Soldier On
Hung In a Bad Place
To Be Where There's Life

The majority of their stuff is just root notes though.

Edited by Jack Cahalane

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1410168948' post='2546660']
I wouldn't say every song, some of their later stuff and a few early B-sides had some decent non root note only basslines.

Go Let It Out
Listen Up
Soldier On
Hung In a Bad Place
To Be Where There's Life

The majority of their stuff is just root notes though.
[/quote]

Sounds like the bassist got to put his own thing down, maybe?

TBH I didn't think any of them had a bassline that I would remember, let alone want to learn.
I know they wanted to sound like the Beatles, but every member of the Beatles was a talented musician. Taxman is one of my fave songs of theirs & I struggle to play the bassline. It could have been a simple root note affair, but they settled for better.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1410169988' post='2546674']

Sounds like the bassist got to put his own thing down, maybe?

TBH I didn't think any of them had a bassline that I would remember, let alone want to learn.
I know they wanted to sound like the Beatles, but every member of the Beatles was a talented musician. Taxman is one of my fave songs of theirs & I struggle to play the bassline. It could have been a simple root note affair, but they settled for better.
[/quote]

Oasis' first bass player Guigsy was so bad he didn't even play on their first album according to the original drummer's book, it was after he left around 2000 and replaced by Andy Bell (brilliant guitarist) that the bass started to move away from the root notes and get a bit more creative , probably due to Noel letting the others contribute a bit more to the songwriting around the same time as well.

Like you said though, their music was never focussed on the instrumental side of things!

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1410172448' post='2546712']
Oasis' first bass player Guigsy was so bad he didn't even play on their first album according to the original drummer's book, it was after he left around 2000 and replaced by Andy Bell (brilliant guitarist) that the bass started to move away from the root notes and get a bit more creative , probably due to Noel letting the others contribute a bit more to the songwriting around the same time as well.

Like you said though, their music was never focussed on the instrumental side of things!
[/quote]

I didn't know that (though I was never a fan, but I did have their first album).

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1410173215' post='2546717']

I didn't know that (though I was never a fan, but I did have their first album).
[/quote]

Usually the first album says almost everything about a band's technical skills.
See the Chick Corea Electric Band debut album with John Patitucci. ":0)
Best

Edited by TheSiberian

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1410175643' post='2546740']
ZZ Top - Gimme All Your Lovin' (although pretty much any of their songs qualify)
However, I think the root 8ths actually add to the song by giving the guitar plenty of 'space'
[/quote]

That's why we play "Cheap Sunglasses" - admittedly it's not that tough, but at least it's got a bit going on!

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1410215204' post='2547306']
Is it not possible though, that a "limited" player could still play the perfect part for the song(s), perhaps throughout his/her career? In which case; wouldn't we say that they were a great bass player (in the context of their band/songs/genre/whatever)?
[/quote]
I think that depends. I think that they could play the perfect (?) part for their bands songs but I don't think that it necessarily makes them great player.

Edited by Doddy

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1410215204' post='2547306']
Is it not possible though, that a "limited" player could still play the perfect part for the song(s), perhaps throughout his/her career? In which case; wouldn't we say that they were a great bass player (in the context of their band/songs/genre/whatever)?
[/quote]

As an example of a fairly limited player turning out to do a fine job I always liked Rose Simpson with the Incredible String Band, who was Mike Heron's girlfriend and only picked up the bass because there was a feeling that she might as well do something useful. Her lines were quite simple, but generally worked nicely and I'd say that getting a session guy in wouldn't have made the music any better. I don't think she played again after this lineup split.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg4VdknBjv4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg4VdknBjv4[/url]

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1409855716' post='2544054']
There are variations? No one told me :)

Where are they?

Actually don't worry, I don't play this song...phew!

(I actually said no to a rehearsal recently when I saw Dakota was on their set list...and Sex on Fire)
[/quote]
I used to hate this song. And also lacked the discipline to play just roots ---- sometimes I'd do octave chords in the chorus to thicken it up a bit.....

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1411245477' post='2557902']
Anything on Def Leppard's biggest selling albums. On the less well known stuff Rick savage does get more space to play around, but all their big selling songs have 8th root notes going through them
[/quote]ooh good for me I like def leppard , I play hysteria ' a lot

Anything on Def Leppard's biggest selling albums. On the less well known stuff Rick savage does get more space to play around, but all their big selling songs have 8th root notes going through them

You can often tell whether the bass line is a bass line played by a bass player or by a guitar player.

Guitarists just don't groove. A bass player playing roots properly will groove. IMO anyone finding playing root notes boring has missed something or is lacking confidence in their abilities.

I'll play as many root note songs as the band want, I can play something 'interesting' in other songs. People frequently complement me on my playing so I must be doing something right.