Why become a member? ×

HTML editing gone bonkers

dannybuoy

I no longer get the toolbar buttons to add images etc when writing a post or reply, and if I edit a reply, my IMG tags with square brackets turn into HTML IMG tags with angled brackets, that are malformed and end up just printing the text when I hit save.

I'm on latest version of Chrome 64-bit on Windows 8.1, just noticed it today and was fine yesterday with the same setup!

The toolbar buttons disappear if you are using basic editing mode - there's a little lightswitch icon on the LH side of the toolbar that you need to click to get into enhanced editing mode (where the toolbar buttons reside).

Not sure what the delete problem is - as far as I'm aware, this section of the site should have the same permissions.

Well... nothing has been changed at this end, and nobody else has reported having this particular problem, so it's pretty likely to be something local to your PC.

My first instinct would be to:

1) Clear my cache and try again.
2) Reset Chrome to it's default settings, clear my cache again then try again.

I'm guessing that one of the above will fix it, but if it doesn't then my next step would be to uninstall Chrome then reinstall it.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1411141602' post='2556899']
Hi, I figured it out. I'm doing some work for a client which needs me to connect to their VPN which forces my browser to use a proxy server. When this is enabled, I don't get any of the toolbars, I guess some scripts are being blocked!
[/quote]

Ah right, I wondered how you'd got on.

The toolbar is, as you've probably already worked out, javascript based and uses multiple .js files.
It'd only need one particular file to be blocked on the proxy and the whole lot fails.