Why become a member? ×

HMV Making an Impressive Comeback

Mykesbass

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1409700066' post='2542509']
I also loved saturday mornings in my local record shop and deciding what to buy that week. Most of my vinyl singles are from 1970 when I had a paper round and would buy one single each week after I got paid on saturday and I would spend the whole week waiting for the new charts to come out and listen to the radio to decide what that single would be. 7/6d they were . . . . or 37.5p in today's currency. But I soon moved up to buying LPs instead of singles and can still remember the absolute thrill of listening to Tubular Bells through headphones in the record shop and thinking it was like nothing else I'd ever heard, which pulled me away from chart singles and into the world of prog rock. Wonderful times!

But I did all those things because they were the [u]only[/u] way to access music in those days. I didn't go to record shops for nostalgia - that's a product of getting 40 years older! - I went to find and listen to music. Kids today won't miss those experiences because they have their own ones to build up and become nostalgic about when they are older . Besides, they have more music at their fingertips than any generation in the history of mankind, so why would they want to make such a backward step and limit themselves to a few trays of discs in a record shop?

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be ;)
[/quote]
Well said that man.... Totally goes against everything I said but I can't deny you are right.

I can't remember the last time I bought a cd. 95% of the music I buy is on vinyl. 50% of those come with a download code at MP3 320kbps (at worst, a lot give you choices from MP3 256kpbs through to FLAC), which is good enough to listen to on an ipod or in the car. The other 5% are downloads from emusic.

I pop into HMV now and again to look at the dvd & bluray selection. I was surprised to see vinyl back in HMV last time I went though, and at a decent price.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1409700066' post='2542509']
I also loved saturday mornings in my local record shop and deciding what to buy that week. Most of my vinyl singles are from 1970 when I had a paper round and would buy one single each week after I got paid on saturday and I would spend the whole week waiting for the new charts to come out and listen to the radio to decide what that single would be. 7/6d they were . . . . or 37.5p in today's currency. But I soon moved up to buying LPs instead of singles and can still remember the absolute thrill of listening to Tubular Bells through headphones in the record shop and thinking it was like nothing else I'd ever heard, which pulled me away from chart singles and into the world of prog rock. Wonderful times!

But I did all those things because they were the [u]only[/u] way to access music in those days. I didn't go to record shops for nostalgia - that's a product of getting 40 years older! - I went to find and listen to music. Kids today won't miss those experiences because they have their own ones to build up and become nostalgic about when they are older . Besides, they have more music at their fingertips than any generation in the history of mankind, so why would they want to make such a backward step and limit themselves to a few trays of discs in a record shop?

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be ;)
[/quote]

Haven't posted here for a while, been very busy, but this is a subject I have a lot of interest in.

When you mention 'kids' what age group are you referring to?

I ask, because the age group (has the largest disposable income) that purchases most CDs and vinyl is around 30-35, or certainly was the last time I looked into the stats. But that isn't the 10-16 year old age group that I would refer to as 'kids'. So why would any record shop be trying to appeal, in the main, to this age demographic?

Next time you walk into an HMV store, if you're lucky enough to still have one, ask yourself this; Is this store appealing to me as a 36 year old person or a 11 year old kid?

I suppose I think of 'kids' as being up to about 20 (or 21/22 if at uni).

Fair point about 30-somethings having the highest disposable income (though 'kids' have pretty good disposable incomes in the sense that they generally have few fixed outgoings or other financial commitments beyond their smartphone contract).

I certainly remember spending hours in record shops as a 'kid' because I could usually only afford to buy one record and it took me ages to rummage through the stock and decide which one it would be. By the time I was 30-something, if something took my fancy while browsing I'd just hang on to it and would end up with half a dozen to buy. I'm much the same now when I go search online and frequently end up buying two or three CDs when I only wanted had one in mind.

So I guess my buying behaviour hasn't really been affected by the web, except forthe fact that I can do it all from the comfort of my home.