Why become a member? ×

New Crazy 8 cab build from UK

Clarky

[quote name='triggno9' timestamp='1409761208' post='2543055'] I've just finished the new paint work on my own FEARLESS F212. Now this will keep up with drummers, Guitarists, more guitarists, keyboards, brass sections !! [/quote]

Oooooooof! Is that in wedge format?

• 5 months later...

Sorry to resurrect this one, but I'm now seriously considering getting a Crazy 8.

At the moment I'm considering pairing it up with either an EA doubler or a Tecamp Puma 500 for an acoustic and electric rig.

Does anyone think buying two Crazy 8s would make a feasible electric bass setup or should I be looking at the Fearless F110 or another larger cab to use for electric gigs?

This depends on quite a few factors.........
How loud are you going to be driving a crazy8 ? Are you going to be playing with a drummer that has no concept of volume !!?
If weight and space are an issue too ? If not I would personally go for the F110 or the F112 ( they are the same price, the 10" driver we use is the same price as the 12" - don't ask me why !!)
The FEARLESS range is the best 'all rounder' cab. They sound beautiful, punchy and coulerless allowing the sound of your acoustic bass to shine. They will also put out and out perform many cabs that are Twice the size.
Check out our website at.
www.trickyaudio.wix.com/trickyaudio
Also check out the Greenboy forum ( lots of great advice there )
www.greenboy.us/forum

I'm planning to use the crazy8 on it's own for reinforcing my double bass in acoustic jazz contexts. My aim is to be able to take one cab and an amp in a cajon bag on my back while wheeling the double bass.

The other cab solution needs to be able to keep up with a larger drum kit. I try my best to play with good drummers rather than loud ones, but my 112 Markbass combo was struggling a little bit to keep up with the output of my octave pedal on bass guitar. I'm leaning towards the F110 (as it could be used for louder jazz contexts when I have the car) but there's so much choice from Barefaced, Bergantino, Baer, Big E etc.

I have checked out your website and colour me interested in the Crazy8 (almost definitely) and the F110 (possibly), though of course it's hard to know whether a cab would be right for me until I've used it. You don't do a trial service do you?

Where abouts are you based in the country ?
We have an F110 and F112 at the moment you could take for a test drive. I started building a c8 for myself a few months ago, but sold it to a guy in Holland that ordered one, so we don't have one in stock at the moment !!!

I personally would go for just the F110. Its gonna cover all bases. Small, portable, natural sound and powerful when needed.

Hey Mark. (Welcome to the greenboy forum,by the way !!)
Here is a link to the F110 details.
http://greenboyaudio.com/cabdetail?model=FEARLESS%20F110

These weights are calculated by actually weighting lots of cabs
And are NOT made up by a marketing department !!

We do offer a lighter weight plywood if weight is an issue.

• 3 years later...

Thread resurrection 😁

I'm looking at getting a Crazy 8 and some small head (maybe the Trace Elliot Elf) for my acoustic setup. I play a Kala UBass with 3 vocals, 2 acoustic guitars, drums using hot rods and brushes on either a snare only or a stripped down kit. I'm currently using a Fender Rumble v3 100 watt combo which is ok but I would like something a bit more focused tonally and smaller than the Rumble combo that has a 12" speaker. I'm doing about 30 gigs a year using this setup, anything from pubs, festivals, fete's and various shows so its getting a fair bit of use. The blurb says it's great for double bass and as the UBass is not so dissimilar, it might just give me what I'm after.

So has anyone used a UBass with a Crazy 8? Any thoughts or advise?

I don't have a UBass any more, but I've played this exact rig using a custom 5-string Howlett uke-bass and also using a DB. It works really well, but in a rather different style than, say, a Barefaced OneTen.

My old OneTen was very much a Barefaced. It was ridiculously light, and far louder than you'd expect, the sound projected a long way into the venue, and it worked really well IMHO for rock and similar.

My Crazy 8 is a very different beast. The sound is somewhat mellower, but what I really notice is that the sound is far more 'localised' ... it doesn't project so much.

This is NOT a criticism. What it means is that, with the cab close to the bass, it just sounds as if the bass is considerably louder. From a DB point of view, especially at smaller venues, that is exactly what I want. It is actually very easy to forget that the DB is being amplified.

I bought my Crazy 8 pre-loved, and it turned out to have a 'top hat' fitting. That has proved to be very useful indeed. I can put the cab on a spare PA pole and either use it as the main amplification for a DB gig, or as on-stage monitoring for a rock gig where I'm going through FoH.

In this video, that's my Crazy 8 directly behind the guitarist's shoulder:

I was sufficiently impressed with the Crazy 8 that I commissioned Guy to build me a Crazy 88, and that very neatly fills any gap between the Crazy 8 and the Markbass 210.

• Like 2

Thanks Silvia and of course Jack. Slightly concerned about the projection comment as a lot of the gigs I use this setup for I do not go through a PA so I will need projection to fill a room or even more if playing outside.

Great video as well, killer band and great bass playing, totally nailed it.

• Like 1

Thanks Linus! As the band's 'pair of ears in the audience', my opinion is that the Crazy 8, luscious as it sounds, will only be adequate for smaller venues. For larger venues or outdoors, you may have to go modular, as in, have two cabs you can use together if needed; otherwise add some bass feed to the PA as reinforcement to your backline. (For the tech details I'll have to refer to @Happy Jack again as he's done that, and I haven't! :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've not tried a Crazy 8 and can remember being sorely tempted, when one came up for sale on here a while back. (perhaps that's the one you bought Happy Jack?)
But I really like the idea of a Crazy 88 - has anyone got any pics and / or clips of one? Is this starting to get to be useable for pub gigs???
All us oldies could have an answer for our dodgy backs, knees, shoulders etc etc

Also, someone on a thread here, talks about a bass cab called the "Upshot" - which is yet another speaker I wish I could try out :)

EDIT: Here's the link

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/317173-acoustic-image-upshot/?tab=comments#comment-3431840
Now, has anyone used a Crazy 8 and an Upshot? Or better still a Crazy88 and an Upshot? Is that possible? :)

Edited by Marc S