Why become a member? ×

New Crazy 8 cab build from UK

Clarky

Having now got a small pub/coffee bar Americana acoustic project underway (in addition to All The Queens Ravens), I realised my old (sold) Crazy 8 cab would have come in useful. I contacted the US builders who pointed out that there's a Greenboy licensee in the UK called Tricky Audio who make all their FearFul and Crazy 8/88 cab designs. There are several obvious advantages to a UK builder: quicker order time, easier return if issues and - best of all - no US import costs and taxes (so it works out a fair amount cheaper too).

Worth checking them out. Their FaceBook page is https://www.facebook.com/trickyaudio. The builder is Guy Trigg (who is occasionally on BassChat as Triggno9).

So without further ado, here is the cab which I am very pleased with. That isn't Mrs C behind it, in case you were wondering.

[attachment=170669:DSCF0900.JPG]

I'm glad there's someone doing them over here, it seems daft to ship the driver from Italy to the US to put it into a cab, then ship the whole thing back across the Atlantic again, not to mention the duty both ways!
I've seen these mentioned as an alternative to the EA Wizzy 10 a couple of times. If I'm right in remembering that you've had both, how do you find the Crazy 8 in comparison?

Yes on balance it does. I use mine mainly for trio gigs but I have also got away with propelling an eight piece in front of an audience of 100approx (Pump House, Watford). In retrospect I'm not too sure how I managed that one. But for a trio/quartet it's great. I must get a second one; I reckon a pair would be unbeatable and easy for an old guy to load in. Thanks for the link, Clarky.

I'll have one at the Double Bass and SE Bass Bashes for anyone who's interested.

Edited by bassace

You must, you must !!
Quite a few users across the pond have ordered two and mount them on poles as a PA
we can build them with tophats in too.
2 together as a 4 ohm load would work great together.
The perfect colourless sound for your acoustic instrument.

That's why I'm going to be building my own shortly. I'm fed up with sound testing these and then having to give them to the customer !!!

I doubt it will keep up with a drummer unless he uses brushes or has a particularly light touch. My acoustic project is drummer-less so its not an issue for me. But there is a Crazy 88 with two 8" speakers which almost certainly would keep up with a drummer, I would guess

Keep up with a drummer? Well, I wouldn't guarantee it but you may be surprised. I've used a single crazy 8 twice alongside Richie Bryant who for a long time was Acker's drummer. For me the bigger problem is with keyboard players who play 'my' notes. I was with a guy the other day who doesn't even sit centrally and at times his left hand was two keys from the LH end. I spoke to him in the break and he behaved a bit better after that.

I'll be ordering a new 8 to go with my extg.

Edited by bassace

That's true bassface. I've been in that situation a few times with keyboard players ( so annoying ) it makes me wonder about my whole meaning in life !!!
The F110 or F112 would be great for those situations. The keyboard player would then be stood wondering why the bass player is playing all the same lines as me !!!
x2 crazy8s should also solve it

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1409604759' post='2541512']
I doubt it will keep up with a drummer unless he uses brushes or has a particularly light touch. My acoustic project is drummer-less so its not an issue for me. But there is a Crazy 88 with two 8" speakers which almost certainly would keep up with a drummer, I would guess
[/quote]

I used the crazy 8 at a coffee shop gig as backline for my eub against a cajon an dacoustic guitar/piano vox and it sounded brilliant, sitting perfectly and not getting at all lost in the mix!

It's good to know the Crazy8 is available in the UK without the hassle of importing.

I'm quite interested in the cab but I'm in a tricky position at the moment in terms of knowing what I really want out of a rig. The real dream is to be able to take my entire setup (bass, amp+cab, microphone or pickup) around in one easy carry. I currently have a Markbass CMD121P which I have used for a long time along with a realist pickup. My recent adventure onto gut strings is pushing me towards a quest for higher acoustic volume from the instrument, and the sound of the guts through the Markbass was really annoying me so I started using my Yamaha DXR10 powered speaker as an alternative to an amp and using a Shure SM58 instead of a pickup.

The current load into and out of the car is the powered speaker (which is not light), a speaker stand, a mic stand, my gear bag (cables and stuff) and the bass! Getting a consistent position with a mic stand and the SM58 is not particularly easy but it is a clearer more acoustic sound than the Markbass and realist, though nowhere near as focused.

I have thought about an acoustic image combo, EA doubler+wizzy or crazy 8, Phil Jones combos, a headway preamp, DPA 4099B mic, or a H-clamp for the SM58 as potential gear that might solve my current problems. Also bear in mind that I still sometimes play electric bass gigs, though I could just use the Markbass as an electric bass amp. I also am trying not to use an amp at smaller gigs, though I find some musicians expect a heavily amped sound or turn their own amps up (keyboard players especially) which makes it difficult except with the very best musicians.

I'd love to hear people's perception of their experiences with the Crazy 8, including what amps, pickups or mics they use together with it.

Yet to gig my new one but at the mo' my DB has a Full Circle and I am going through an Acoustic Image head. Its sounds about as good as a piezo pickup will allow. I have also taken the plunge and ordered a Troll mic [url="http://trollmicrophone.com/"]http://trollmicrophone.com/[/url] as that will almost certainly give me the most authentic DB sound and - at least in my small venue ensemble - there won't be drums and foldback monitors to lead it to feed back

I thought mine was great, but I never really used it with a modern micro amp, as intended. I used an SWR Electric Blue which has a fairly hard edge to it that needed rounding out..but then it worked a treat for both upright (Realist pickup) or any bass guitar. It is a very accurate and articulate speaker with real low end.

Mine was a composite version, and it did seem a bit fragile to me. On balance, I think a ply cab is probably worth it for a few additional pounds in weight.

The other slight issue I have is with long term use, any cab designed around a very specific (or unusual) driver may be difficult to repair in the future..when that particular driver is no longer in production. I'd rather use gear that has more generic speakers that are more easily replaced. A minor point, I know but it did occur to me with the Crazy 8.