Why become a member? ×

New Crazy 8 cab build from UK

Clarky

Marc, mine is in the back of the car ready for tonight's rehearsal, but I'm sure Silvie will take some pics of it for you tomorrow.

For country pub-type gigs a Crazy 88 will certainly be adequate (partly depending on the head you use, of course). I didn't do any actual scientific measurement, but my feeling was that the Crazy 88 goes louder than the OneTen, and is at least just as clear and undistorted.

This is not a super-lightweight cab, though. It is smaller and less bulky than a 210, but not that much lighter.

Edited by Happy Jack
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that Happy Jack
As an 88, is it 4 or 8 ohms? - Just wondering whether I could use it with another 8ohm cab, in the usual way? (where 2x 8 ohm cabs give me 4ohms and more power)
I'm looking forward to seeing the pics :)

EDIT: Thanks to Linus for resurrecting this thread
...... and giving me Crazy 8 GAS ;)

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 1

My Crazy 8 is 4-Ohm and my Crazy 88 is 8-Ohm. If I were to pair them that would produce 2.67-Ohms which means that (given the amount of headroom I like) I'd be perfectly comfortable powering them with a 4-Ohm head.

[YMMV, resistance can go up as well as down, the value of your bass rig may be at risk, the poster takes no responsibility for burning power amps.]

• Like 1

@Happy Jack - just found the website. They do seem a tad heavier than I would have expected, for a small cab
They list the C8 as 14 - 17 lbs, and the C88 as 25 - 30 lbs (I assume the variation is down to finish / grille? - I'm not sure)

That's still quite lightweight. My Epifani UL110 is around 25 lbs, I think. I really like my EPI 110, and it's good with both DB and Bass guitar
I'm always on the lookout for lighter weight gear though - it's good to know what's out there
On the site, they seem to recommend using the C8 or C88 with a high-pass filter too. Is that even more gear / cables to lug around though? Or in my case, more to forget! lol

The HPF is either a small stand-alone unit (preferably either the FDeck by Francis Deck in the States or the Thumpinator by Max Greco of [sfx] here in the UK), or a feature of your existing DB preamp, e.g. the 'Depth' knob on a Fishman Plat Pro.

It's useful for (i) taming feedback, if you suffer from that, and (ii) reducing speaker excursion at very low frequencies.

2 hours ago, Marc S said:

@Happy Jack - just found the website. They do seem a tad heavier than I would have expected, for a small cab
They list the C8 as 14 - 17 lbs, and the C88 as 25 - 30 lbs (I assume the variation is down to finish / grille? - I'm not sure)

It's also due to the sort of plywood used in many cases, but I'm not sure which builder's website you're referring to.