Why become a member? ×

P or J?

lowdowner

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1409639448' post='2541668']
Sorry I missed this yesterday, every Rick I have played was terrible, every Gibson I have tried had neck dive so these are my findings, if that upsets people that's just how it is, do I cry in my corn flakes at the mention of weak G strings, active basses sucking, over priced mass produced ebmm basses? Nope.
[/quote]

You haven't played my Ric. At every Cardiff bass bash the "I don't like Rics" have had a go and changed their minds.
There are great examples of all marques, just like there are poor ones. Each to his own, and I like playing my own.

The sad truth is from 11000+ members we must have all sorts here ([b]I am not talking about gays here[/b]!), I know we have one member that is/was in a facist punk band, plenty of clips with swastikas etc "but he really just liked the music", OK on yer bike knobhead, thankfully I forget who it is. I presume we probably have some nonces in the worst terminology. :(

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1409695090' post='2542444']
You haven't played my Ric. At every Cardiff bass bash the "I don't like Rics" have had a go and changed their minds.
There are great examples of all marques, just like there are poor ones. Each to his own, and I like playing my own.
[/quote]

This is what I keep hearing but they are being very elusive thus far ;)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1409696591' post='2542467']
The sad truth is from 11000+ members we must have all sorts here ([b]I am not talking about gays here[/b]!)
[/quote]

Yep. A quick google for data (based on assumption that 10,000 members are male) would suggest 100 members would have paedophile tendencies.

Key question here is would they gravitate towards a P or J or are they only interested in their Stingrays?

[quote name='kerley' timestamp='1409727046' post='2542577']

Yep. A quick google for data (based on assumption that 10,000 members are male) would suggest 100 members would have paedophile tendencies.

Key question here is would they gravitate towards a P or J or are they only interested in their Stingrays?
[/quote]

I seen where you went with that ;)

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1409695090' post='2542444']
[/quote]

I do like Rics, but I've played some that I can't get on with
I can however, confirm that Gelfin's Ric is absolutely fantastic!
Never played another quite like it
And if he were to think of selling it, I'd be there like a shot

That bass has the power to convert anyone, I can assure you

And yes Gelfin, you're quite right - there are good and bad examples of every model, it seems

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1409674055' post='2542110']
Darcy with her stingray in 1992 was basically my idea of heaven, these days I think I'd rather have a go on her stingray though, lol. Anyone know what type of bass Billy used in the studio? I guess must good studios in the 90s had a P, J and MM knocking around, or something totally different.
[/quote]

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2011/02/former_smashing_pumpkins_bassi.html

Aaargh!!

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1409744322' post='2542834']
It seems I'm one of the few people on here who thinks the sound of a P bass on it's own is a thing of beauty... :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I reckon you'd find more than a few mate. I LOVE the sound of the P bass. It's just got that sound that you hear on so many tracks that makes my boat get floated!

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1409749952' post='2542934']
I reckon you'd find more than a few mate. I LOVE the sound of the P bass. It's just got that sound that you hear on so many tracks that makes my boat get floated!
[/quote]

I know, I was only half joking. It seemed that general concensus was edging toward the whole 'great in a mix, boring on it's own' thing. I won't stand for it! :lol:

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1409650964' post='2541785']is it easy to fit a series/parallel switch? :)[/quote]

Yeah. To avoid drilling I install a push/pull tone pot with a 2PDT switch attached, and use that. I've done it to two jazzes and it's very straightforward.

[url="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/Stealth385/Bass/jazzSPindepvol.png"]http://img.photobuck...zSPindepvol.png[/url]

FWIW I also use 500k pots and a .1uF tone cap, so it's a very bright sound by default but the tone will roll off tons of high end.

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1409756721' post='2543007']
I know, I was only half joking. It seemed that general concensus was edging toward the whole 'great in a mix, boring on it's own' thing. I won't stand for it! :lol:
[/quote]

It`s funny Ben but given my love/obsession for Precisions, that was exactly how I felt when I first played one. Nowadays I just love the tone of a good Precision but I was really underwhelmed that first time, luckily (and sensibly/cleverly) I persisted.

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1409743797' post='2542826']
Anyone know how good the "Entwistle" NXB pickups are?
Anyone had experience of them?

They look a good value for money upgrade
depending of course, on how good they are.......
[/quote]

The Entwistles get good reviews from BCers, the PBXN/JBXN use neodymium magnets so are hotter than the equivalent PBX/JBX.

• 2 weeks later...