Why become a member? ×

Strings for C detune

Woodinblack

I am going to be playing some Queens of the Stone age, 'Noone knows', which is tuned down to C.

As C is quite a long way down, I could either tune up a 5 string a notch or just tune a 4 string down. Well, I suppose I could just play it on a properly tuned 5, but transposed too, but not so keen on that one.

If I were to take a 4 string jazz and tuned down, what strings would be good?

The heaviest 4 string set I can see is 50-120, whereas if I got a 5 string set the bottom 4 would be 65 - 130. So seems like the G would be a bit flappy if it was tuned to Eb?

Nick Oliveri used/uses GHS Bass Boomers .115 and .095 for his C and F strings mixed with Ernie Ball Power Slinkys .075 and .055 for his Bb and Eb strings.

Gives him the right string balance and flub according to the man himself in a YouTube interview that I can't find again right now.

You can make up this set if you want by going to www.bassstringsonline.com and ordering the single strings (they are cheap compared to UK prices and you don't get charged import vat or anything.)

You're welcome ;):)

Edited by miles'tone

I play this song in my current set. I tried playing it on a 5 for convenience sake, but it does make the fingering a bit tedious as it was originally played on a 4. The octave for the main riff in the verse is ok, but the little walking lines get trickier in this tuning. I couldn't be assed to stick with it and just went to my p/j
With regards to strings, I just use my standard roto's 105's, it will help get you closer to his original tone which is a little rubbery I guess.
Most importantly though it saves having a bass for just one song, because if you try and tune up to e with bigger gauge strings, it will ruin your action/setup. Keep it simple matey! Would also recommend a sansamp vt bass to get that overdriven ampeg sound!!!

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1409382661' post='2539120']
Nick Oliveri used/uses GHS Bass Boomers .115 and .095 for his C and F strings mixed with Ernie Ball Power Slinkys .075 and .055 for his Bb and Eb strings.

You can make up this set if you want by going to www.bassstringsonline.com and ordering the single strings (they are cheap compared to UK prices and you don't get charged import vat or anything.)
[/quote]

I forgot about them (and I did know when I was looking for strings for the bass VI. Sounds from everyone like it doesn't have to be as low as I thought, and probably 110-120 would do the job.
The capo is out as my current 5 string is a dingwall and I think it would try to twist straight - the ibanez will be gone before then.

I don't mind having a bass for that song, as I will just slap a set on the harley benton

• 2 weeks later...