Why become a member? ×

The Tele and the Precision

wahit

Hello everyone! I need some input here regarding the P-Bass.

One of my favourite bass sounds is from the P-Bass, specially that one from the 60-70s. Old school funk/rock sound, yet I never had a Precision Bass. More stupid, I never played one. I never found a good American P on music store in my city.

I have a mid-90s Fender 51 Reissue Precision bass (japanese, slab body, single coil). It sounds pretty good, but how different is it from the more modern Fender Precision basses with split-coils, etc? Since I can't try an American Precision, how un-wise would it be to just order one online?

I also have a MusicMan Stingray Classic 2EQ bass. Also with a killer sound. Would I really "need" a Precision, or are we talking about two completely different sounding basses?

Regarding the P sounds I dig, think about Paul Jackson (Headhunters days), Paul Simonon, Kool, etc...

Thanks!

[quote name='wahit' timestamp='1409245799' post='2537952']
Since I can't try an American Precision, how un-wise would it be to just order one online?
[/quote]

Not unwise if you buy it from Thomann - if you don't like the item [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/faq_question_how_does_the_money_back_guarantee_work.html"]they'll take it back[/url] and refund your money less shipping. Check the Portuguese version of their site for full details and any local conditions which may apply

You cannot go wrong with a Precision bass. The pre 57 Tele style is a tad thinner sounding and more pronounced in the higher mids and treble frequencies. The 60s tone split coils are, in my opinion, more rounded with less high mids and more bass-low mids, it'll give a Jamerson tone when equipped with Flats and EQ'd as such.

The new post 2012 American standards are fantastic, they have the custom shop pickups and are very similar to the 60s vibe, the Quality Control is also very good currently!

Thanks for the input. I know that is comparing apples to oranges, but if you had the chance to have only one bass what would it be: the Precision or the Stingray?

I have way too many instruments right now, and I just want to keep one of each ;)

[quote name='wahit' timestamp='1409248211' post='2537983']
Thanks for the input. I know that is comparing apples to oranges, but if you had the chance to have only one bass what would it be: the Precision or the Stingray?

I have way too many instruments right now, and I just want to keep one of each ;)
[/quote]

Precision. It can fit in with most genres of music with little effort. I`m sure Stingrays can too, but my experience of them is they sound good in anyones hands except my own, hence me choosing the Precision, which I both love, and can make sound good (I think/hope).

I personally don't like them comfort wise but if I remember well Leo Fender was not quite happy with the Precision and updated the concept to the Music Man Stingray.
However on both basses it was done and still is tons of great music and tastefull bass playing, so I believe that Leo hit the Jackpot in both cases.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='TheSiberian' timestamp='1409317324' post='2538591']
I personally don't like them comfort wise but if I remember well Leo Fender was not quite happy with the Precision and updated the concept to the Music Man Stingray.
[/quote]

....then updated to the G&L L2K!

I would say it depends whether you want to sit in the mix, or cut through the mix. I personally want my bass to naturally couple with the bass drum. Not everyone does!

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1410979201' post='2555315']

....then updated to the G&L L2K!

I would say it depends whether you want to sit in the mix, or cut through the mix. I personally want my bass to naturally couple with the bass drum. Not everyone does!
[/quote]
If I can see an update from the Precision to Stingray, I can't say the same for the G&L who is a rather modern standard Fender without any signifiant inovation.
I see hardly the G&L being a colectible in the next years...but who knows?
Best

[quote name='TheSiberian' timestamp='1410987573' post='2555438']
If I can see an update from the Precision to Stingray, I can't say the same for the G&L who is a rather modern standard Fender [b]without any signifiant inovation.[/b]
I see hardly the G&L being a colectible in the next years...but who knows?
Best
[/quote]

I think that's a harsh assessment.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1410989671' post='2555476']

I think that's a harsh assessment.
[/quote]
Sorry, never wanted to offend any... bass... but looking at the G&L number of threads vs Precision/ Stingray you will understand better what I mean. The Love factor is completly different.
Inovation wise...Fender/MusicMan already had the lion's part.
Best

Edited by TheSiberian