Why become a member? ×

Ashdown

jakenewmanbass

I have an Ashdown ABM300 head and 4x10 cab with the soft grill that I bought in 1999.

I'm still mad about this amp, I've played a few of the later ABM models and there is a totally different sound to them- I'd never say better because for me it's all just personal taste.

For me the old ABM sounds so much warmer and more like a valve amp than the newer ones that I've tried. Not sure how much this has to do with the amount of use that it's had down the years. The only problem I've ever had with it was that the head blows fuses like mad. Ashdown told me it was a defect that they had early on, i have slow release fuses in it now (and a big box of them in my gig bag) and that seems to solve the problem.

Just had to share my love for my old Ashdown..god bless her :)

I use an Ashdown ABM500 Evo III and I think it's a great sounding amp. I used SWR Workingpro stuff before I got it and the Ashdown just opened up a whole new world of 'tone' in comparison. I've got the ABM610 cab and it's got tonnes of head room and sounds really punchy. My only criticism is they dont make a cover for it! I've also got MAG 410 and 210 cabs and to be honest the amp sounds pretty-much as good through those even though they're cheaper cabs.

I've tried mag heads and combos, and whilst I think they're a brilliant option for the price, there's a big jump in tone when going to ABM, but I guess at around £300 difference, you'd probably expect that.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='258067' date='Aug 8 2008, 01:37 PM']The difference as i see it is that in the past Ashdown would make all or a lot of the PCBS and PSU's up themselves in the factory. Now they get the PCBs already put together (as you say) and assemble the whole lot together over here.

I would like to know why they make a big dela about the Klystrons being made over if its all the same thing.

Yes, its not a problem where it come from if it works so we agree on that at least. I do think that the switch was what caused the quality control to get a bit poor though.
I could pin point more or less when Ashdown moved to China as i had an email from them stating that as from now etc but i dont know where it is now. Doubt i still have it.
It came about when i ordered a MAG30 C-115 and it was delayed. I emailed Ashdown to ask if i could come and pick it up from them rather than it being delivered to the Bass Centre and then out to me and they said they were waiting for the new shipment to come in and explained about China. I think it was around end of 2003 but cant be sure.

Still, im not bothered really, just was pointing out that unlike the older ABM EVO's the EVOII's might not be made the same way.[/quote]

Interesting points I made a ampmaker woodface amp which is a 5watt single ended 6v6 guitar amp. My mate want one also so we decided to build one from scratch i.e. not from a kit. We put a caveat that all the bits need to be made in the UK or at least Europe or the USA. I was amazed how many passive components are still made in the UK esp Caps and resistors, they are all very high quality low tolerence items, we even got the transformers from a uk manufacturer. I must say his amp is much more lively and sonourous than mine, it feels more alive and clear. Maybe thats what it is with all this chinese stuff, same circuit, but when you use componets with 5% tolerance or cheaper made stuff its doesnt sound as good, collectively. I have to say that his parts cost a lot more than mine prob double, but get what you pay for!!! I am busy modding mine to the same spec!!! double the price of bits is still only £30 of bits.......