Why become a member? ×

Loss of power

Hey everyone, I've a fairly berserk problem so before I take my gear anywhere I'd like to run this by you all, see if it rings a bell with anyone.

I have a Hy-Drive 5210, changed the preamp valve to a EH and it's been perfect since, a lot of clean notes. I got an MXR M87 and a Pitchblack tuner pedal not long ago, two weeks ago I played live Saturday and it was fine, plugged in Sunday's gig and next to no volume, distorted clipped sound so it went away to our manager's friend who apparently knows his shizzle. Now, he cleaned it regarding dust, played it loud all day and I mean louder than I need it, it's fine. I get it back, I'm on my second gig last weekend, towards the end the same happened and it's a horrendous feeling.

So, as it's left in the van with everything, could it be extremes of temperature? Condensation? I've turned the output on the compressor so the input isn't too much for the pre... I've no real idea and I'll welcome any advice I'm too dense to possibly realise :)

Thank you mateys,
Lee.

Next time the volume dips, try the following:

1) plug a spare guitar lead from the send socket to the return socket (the switch contacts on the sockets can wear out).

2) 'Ping' the control buttons one at a time on the LH side of the amp with your fingertip - older Hartke stuff seems to have a tendency to have dry joints on that end of the LH end of the preamp board and a 'ping' can shake the joint into making proper contact again - albeit temporarily.

Both of these are easily fixable but can take a little patience to trace.

HTH

[quote name='leemarseillebass' timestamp='1409126951' post='2536487']
It's odd that everything sounds epic and then it just drops..
[/quote]

Not if you have a dry joint in there. ;)

The amp will be getting warm and metal expands when warm - add a nice low frequency vibration at volume to that and it's not so odd. :)