Why become a member? ×

SOLD: Eminence 5 String travel bass (bolt on neck)
£1475

FOR SALE – 5 STRING EMINENCE PORTABLE UPRIGHT BASS - the first fully acoustic portable upright bass with an easily removable neck. This is my own travel bass which I’m reluctantly selling and it’s priced (with accessories) at £1475 o.n.o. for a quick sale.

Please pm me or text/call 07736 547512 for more details or a test drive.
Price to post to the UK, fully insured is £50

5-String Removable Neck Model
• Perfect travel bass
• Fits securely in its flight case, with no airline oversize charge.
• Detachable neck removal and assembly are quick and easy.
• Steel dovetail neck joint carries a lifetime guarantee.
• Professional electronics (Realist pickup) for plug & play versatility onstage or in the studio.
• Inlaid neck markers
• Beautiful low, easy to play, string height
• Full scale string length (41-3/8")
• Chrome stand (bass playable on or off the stand)
• Heavy duty gig bag

Selling an old friend but I’m afraid funds need to be diverted elsewhere. I bought this Eminence over 10 years ago to help ease the hassle of flying a double bass around the world. It has served me well, delighting sound engineers everywhere – this bass sounds amazing when played through a concert P.A.. It’s also ideal to practice with in a hotel bedroom as there’s enough volume from it acoustically.

As well as being the ideal travel bass, this instrument would make a perfect beginner double bass, especially for those players moving from 5-string bass guitar. It’s easy to play, easy to get sound from on stage (difficult to get it to feedback, even at high volume), and easy to transport to the gig
Cosmetically, it has a few road dings but nothing anywhere approaching major (see photos). Structurally the bass is perfect with the exception of the bridge which cracked over 5 years ago when I was on the road. I did an emergency repair with glue at the time – the repair held and the bass has played perfectly ever since! AT THE TIME, I IMPORTED A REPLACEMENT BRIDGE BUT DIDN’T FIT IT & I’M INCLUDING IT WITH THIS SALE.

This particular model, when new, still retails at $4,500 + usual import taxes when bought with a hard case directly from the makers – G. Edward Lutherie in Minneapolis. Shortly after I bought the bass I imported a $300 SKB flightcase with wheels which is a perfect fit for the bass and offers great protection. I'm selling this flightcase for an additional £150, and it's in excellent condition. However, the stand and gig bag (see photos) are included.

At the moment the bass is strung with D’addario Helicores and a low B. The bass also bows very easily
The following info is from the manufacturer’s website:-
Eminence Bass neck removal/assembly (YouTube)
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5QkD7CUNLs[/media]

The Eminence Removable Neck model is the first choice for traveling professionals. With its innovative design, it takes only 5 minutes to break down and 10 minutes to set up. Watch designer, Gary Bartig, demonstrate removal and assembly of the Eminence Bass removable neck.

The fully acoustic Eminence Portable Upright Bass features a laminated, arched top of spruce, braced with a solid spruce bassbar and soundpost, and a laminated, arched back made of highly figured curly maple. The maple neck sports an ebony fingerboard and nut. The fully height-adjustable maple bridge with modified Realist pickup allows personalized action adjustments.

The standard 41-3/8" scale is strung with D'Addario Helicore strings; the 5th string is custom configured to high C with a Pirastro Jazzer — ideal for solo bass — or low B with a Helicore Hybrid. For low B note fidelity, a high quality amplifier is recommended (low B frequency is 30.87Hz).

Included with the Eminence Removable Neck model are two soft cases. The deluxe full-size gig bag houses the Eminence fully assembled, while the additional neck case stores neck, strings and waist extension when unassembled.
Both fit snuggly inside the optional hard flight case, with ample room for a stand. Once at your destination, assemble the Eminence at your hotel, transport to your gig with the gig bag, and store flight case and neck case for your return trip

Total weight for the Eminence Bass with gig bag, neck case and hard flight case is approximately 40 pounds. Add a stand and it’s still under the 50 pound limit for checked baggage. Plus, most airlines allow a golf club flight case as part of their baggage allowance (call your airline to confirm).

Manufacturer’s Specifications:-

Neck: Rock Maple
Neck Joint: Lifetime Guaranteed Steel Dovetail
Fingerboard: Ebony
Vibrating String Length: 41-3/8"
Top: Arched, Laminated Spruce
Back: Arched, Laminated Curly Maple
Air Chamber Depth: 3"
Body Size: 10-1/2" x 31-1/2"
Bassbar: Solid Spruce
Soundpost: Solid Spruce
Bridge: Maple, Fully Adjustable
Strings: D'Addario Helicore Strings – 5
Neck/String Spread Width:
Fingerboard Below Nut: 1-13/16”
Fingerboard At End: 3-3/4”
Strings At Bridge, Beneath String Curve (G To Bottom String): 3-1/2”
Pickup: Modified Realist
Tailplate: Solid Brass
Endpin: Fully Adjustable Endpin
Total Length: 63"
Weight: 15 lbs.
Deluxe padded gig bag and neck case, waist extension, pickup and Steady-foot™ Anti-rotational Endpin.

• 3 weeks later...