Why become a member? ×

Anyone play just for fun?

sellisnba

[quote name='sellisnba' timestamp='1408705485' post='2532713']
Ok probably not the best way to put, We all play for fun. What I was trying to say was does anybody just enjoy playing along to songs on there music player? I know there is a hell of a lot of people on here who are in bands.
I'm a bedroom player and will probably remain that way for the foreseeable future. I could never picture myself in a band or jamming situation. I just wondered if there are other people out there doing the same. How do you know your good or confident enough with your own ability to play in front of strangers? The thought of it scares the crap out of me.
[/quote]
It sounds like you'd quite like to be in a band but you're not sure if you're good enough/ready? That's exactly how I felt. And still do with regard to my guitar playing. But I found a couple of people on band mix and we just got together to play. No intention of gigging, just adding a new experience - playing with someone else. After a few months of that, we were joined by a drummer who was in the same position - been playing a while but only in his own garage. Great fun in itself, meeting up once a week to play together with no pressure to perform. It's amazing how quickly your playing improves when you play with others and after about 18 months we were asked to play at a party - which is when we became a band and haven't looked back since.

So if you're happy playing solo to backing tracks then go for it. But if you want to try something new, but don't want to join a band, then just find a jam partner and watch your playing improve.....

But whatever you do, have fun

[quote name='sellisnba' timestamp='1408705485' post='2532713']
Ok probably not the best way to put, We all play for fun. What I was trying to say was does anybody just enjoy playing along to songs on there music player? I know there is a hell of a lot of people on here who are in bands.
I'm a bedroom player and will probably remain that way for the foreseeable future. I could never picture myself in a band or jamming situation. I just wondered if there are other people out there doing the same. How do you know your good or confident enough with your own ability to play in front of strangers? The thought of it scares the crap out of me.
[/quote]

I play with a trio, but we perform so seldom, I'm practically a bedroom player. I play along with a number of CDs designed for practicing bass with comping, and I practice scales and etc. I agree with some responders who said playing with a band is a pain in the neck. Even though I play out seldom, living as I do in a fairly rural community, every performance feels like a much bigger deal than it should. Basically, I just love the sound of the bass.

[quote name='Wylie' timestamp='1408817999' post='2533825']
I play with a trio, but we perform so seldom, I'm practically a bedroom player. I play along with a number of CDs designed for practicing bass with comping, and I practice scales and etc. I agree with some responders who said playing with a band is a pain in the neck. Even though I play out seldom, living as I do in a fairly rural community, every performance feels like a much bigger deal than it should. Basically, I just love the sound of the bass.
[/quote]
So maybe there's scope for a thread on here "Jam Partners wanted"? Unless there's one already that I can't find? If anyone's in the South Lincs, North Cambs area? I could do with honing my guitar skills a bit more....

[quote name='Skinnyman' timestamp='1408819020' post='2533843']

So maybe there's scope for a thread on here "Jam Partners wanted"? Unless there's one already that I can't find? If anyone's in the South Lincs, North Cambs area? I could do with honing my guitar skills a bit more....
[/quote]

We have a Musicians Wanted forum:

http://basschat.co.uk/forum/25-musicians-wanted/

...but nothing specific to finding someone to just jam with.

In the past, the idea of a sub-forum on 'finding someone to collaborate with' has been floated in the Recording forum, so there might be scope for something there.

I'll test out the idea and if it's a good one, I'll claim it as my own and bask in the glory :D

Cheers.

Edited by Skol303

Last time I played in a band was about 20 years ago on one of those silly 6 string things and I was awful lol I had a huge break from music then took it up again a couple of years ago but I really have no interest in being in a band for various reasons so I just love playing at home and tinkering with my gear and enjoying it for what it is I can play what I like, when I like and can mess about with pedals and silly noises to my hearts content right now is the most that I have ever enjoyed playing music and my standard is nowhere near as good as it used to be I don't play in front of people any more not even my mates I know that sounds silly but if I am enjoying it right now why change it I just find it relaxing with no pressure and no hassle I really respect gigging players though it is a lot of pressure and hassle with bands and money and everything it takes a committed special person to be in a band I think :)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1408871620' post='2534129']

I'll test out the idea and if it's a good one, I'll claim it as my own and bask in the glory :D

Cheers.
[/quote]

The creed by which I have lived my life captured there in a single sentence....

Yep...got to kiss a few frogs but there are good gigs out there.
There will be crap gigs as well so as long as the highs are better than the lows
then you'll probably want to keep doing it.
We've had a good summer, but we wont be doing too much beyond ticking over in the winter.
A couple a month will be enough...
Chance to completely rework the set and plan a few shows for spring next year.

[quote name='watton_earth' timestamp='1408872751' post='2534157']
There's a guy at my gym who spends 5 full minutes doing pelvic thrusts as a warm up.

Even though it may feel good, some things are not meant to be done in public.

(I bet he thinks he's really good at it)
[/quote]

Some of the best " gigs " I've played have been in my front room plugged into my Micromark and headphones and just sifting through Youtube with a glass of red on the side .

I love live gigging , I ve done done fabulous gigs with great audience involvement , but there can be quite a lot of baggage that can come with a band , if you are blessed with a band of like-minded souls , hold onto them with both hands .

I was mates with a bed-room guitarist when I lived in Peterborough , I called him " fast Eddie " , this guy was a phenomenal player , but had no interest in playing in a band . I just could not understand his logic of acquiring all this skill and technique with no intention of showing it off in a band situation , he seemed perfectly satisfied just jamming along to records and CD 's .

I play for fun at home and in a band situation as well.