Why become a member? ×

The 'Show us your Limelight!' thread

wateroftyne

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 13:04, dmdavies said:

I've got a new one!

I sold my last one on here to fund the purchase of this, #00223.

I've put Lindy Frailin +5 overwounds in it and a John East Retro 01 preamp. I specced it with a Hipsot D-Tuner.

This is the best bass guitar I've ever owned.

20181105_130206.jpg 20181105_130217.jpg 20181105_130232.jpg

LOVE it. This is exactly the road I'd go down -- a YOB '65 Jazz looking stock at a glance but stuffed with hi tech bits. In car terms, somewhere between a restomod and a rat rod. :lol:

Edited by Rich
  • Thanks 1

On 06/07/2019 at 16:55, Linus27 said:

I was told my Limelight will be ready in 12 - 16 weeks. This Monday is 12 weeks so I guess anytime now I might get the call 😁😁 I don't think I've been so excited about getting a bass. Just so itching to see it 😊

Any news Linus? Is nearly August now. 🤔

57 minutes ago, Hobbayne said:

Not yet I'm afraid :( Monday was week 15 and I was told 12 - 16 weeks but hopefully sooner. So can't wait, it can't be that much longer.

Edited by Linus27
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/06/2019 at 18:15, jimbartlett said:

My Capri Orange/Maple Limelight P Bass in action last weekend. Lovely to play and to you ears, sounds great 😎 (shame about the bloke playing it!) 😄

ABBDCC44-C39E-4E91-96FF-16D95F234166.MOV

Only just catching up on this thread so my apologies if already asked but could you post a few pics of your bass. The VID sounds fantastic but there's a guy in front of you and can't see the bass clearly. Tone is superb. What rig are you going thru.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

For those that have the Limelight P/J how are the controls set up on them ie VVT or VBT

I have a Fender PJ active and a Sandberg P/MM that i bought from Mark and the Fender is either P or J if you move from centre position. The Sandberg is a little better than that but still seems to be quite a dramatic change when moved from centre position either way. 

I still have a notion for a Limelight P bass but always like the idea of having the J pick up for a little more punch when needed. 

Can it be done with a 3-way pick up selector kind of thing and still remain passive

Dave

On 21/08/2019 at 17:47, dmccombe7 said:

Only just catching up on this thread so my apologies if already asked but could you post a few pics of your bass. The VID sounds fantastic but there's a guy in front of you and can't see the bass clearly. Tone is superb. What rig are you going thru.

Dave

Thanks mate! Here are a few shots of the bass. My rig is a MarkBass LM3 with an EWS Trilogic 2 preamp. My on stage speaker is a Trace Elf 1x10 and then a DI into our PA. I roll the tone on the P Bass fully off and then bring it back up slowly until I hear a small fizz of treble. Strung with Fender Flats.

8EEEB07A-E863-4C30-AA5F-46405E7FA620.jpeg

AA7901E3-5B93-4056-A411-A805247D29CC.jpeg

95167C79-BABC-4B6E-B719-B5DAEC144E29.jpeg

Edited by jimbartlett
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jimbartlett said:

Thanks mate! Here are a few shots of the bass. My rig is a MarkBass LM3 with an EWS Trilogic 2 preamp. My on stage speaker is a Trace Elf 1x10 and then a DI into our PA. I roll the tone on the P Bass fully off and then bring it back up slowly until I hear a small fizz of treble. Strung with Fender Flats.

8EEEB07A-E863-4C30-AA5F-46405E7FA620.jpeg

AA7901E3-5B93-4056-A411-A805247D29CC.jpeg

95167C79-BABC-4B6E-B719-B5DAEC144E29.jpeg

That is absolutely gorgeous sir. Such a simple rig too but your tone was so nice.

Thanks for sharing.. Much appreciated altho i now have severe GAS for a Limelight again. :lol:

Dave

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 21/10/2019 at 22:59, wateroftyne said:

I had a bit of time to kill today, so I made a video about my Limelight P....

Great video, really enjoyed that, I’m looking at limelight’s at the moment , thanks 🙂

Edited by wateroftyne

Nice video and a lovely bass.

By coincidence, I have an early 60's type Limelight P bass on order (now at just 12 weeks!!) in LPB and with a tort pick guard.

I would endorse all that you have said about Limelights in your video and just add that Mark is such a nice guy to deal with.

This will be my first toe in the water with a relic'd bass. Can't wait.

On 21/10/2019 at 22:59, wateroftyne said:

I had a bit of time to kill today, so I made a video about my Limelight P....

Great video, you come across as a really good bloke! And very nice playing at the end! (what song is that?)

I gave it's first 👍 on YT! 😃

... and hey, you played with Mark Knopfler!??? 😮 😎

Edited by wateroftyne

17 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Great video, really enjoyed that, I’m looking at limelight’s at the moment , thanks 🙂

5 hours ago, Hobbayne said:

The crack in the top left pick guard by the screw must be compulsory. (3.40)

My Sonic Blue 63 Limelight has the exact same crack in the exact same place! 😁

Thanks, folks! Yep, I think this pickguard crack has become a bit of a feature now...

1 hour ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Great video, you come across as a really good bloke! And very nice playing at the end! (what song is that?)

I gave it's first 👍 on YT! 😃

... and hey, you played with Mark Knopfler!??? 😮 😎

Thank you, although I suspect Mrs. WoT would disagree 😄

And yes, I did... bucket list tick!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/06/2018 at 14:11, timmchale2009 said:

This is my little beauty. Body and neck Limelight, House Of Tone Custom Jazz Pups and wiring loom, Fender Branded tuners and celluloid aged scratch plate. Literally the best jazz I have ever owned/ever will own. Just ticks every box. 

4AAB98A4-AE57-46D3-8BE3-D7177BA4A47E.jpeg

This just looks so cool, I think I need one of these 🙂

On 30/07/2019 at 10:46, Hobbayne said:

Just another update on mine as Mark dropped me an email last week. He is still waiting for the unlined fretless neck to arrive. The whole CITES thing has also been causing a delay but it gets lifted at the end on November. So you never know, I may get it by Christmas which would make a nice present 😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Linus27 said:

Just another update on mine as Mark dropped me an email last week. He is still waiting for the unlined fretless neck to arrive. The whole CITES thing has also been causing a delay but it gets lifted at the end on November. So you never know, I may get it by Christmas which would make a nice present 😊

Well, I did wonder what happened to it. I thought you probably had got fed up waiting and cancelled the order. 👍🤣

• 4 weeks later...

Here is my first relic bass. Lake Placid Blue in the style of a '63 P with tort pick guard. It weighs in at 7.9 Ibs, so easy on the shoulder. Aged Gotoh Res-o-lites also ensure a good balance. It sounds super - extremely resonant. Currently strung with Fender 9050 flatwounds. Mark did a great job in my opinion and order time was around 17 weeks. Super happy.

IMGP0233.thumb.JPG.6540a79082607e2a727079b4110a26ad.JPGIMGP0238.thumb.JPG.4a3a640cd12689f60a6251703bc07485.JPGIMGP0232.thumb.JPG.e6c19734af34e42729d9eb1e66102e78.JPGIMGP0228.thumb.JPG.b2b0c80bdf88914ef27068d11a0f82db.JPG

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys, New to the site, but wanted to read this particular thread especially as I've just ordered a Limelight P from Mark about two weeks ago. It's going to be a long 16 weeks to wait and I'm excited. In fact it was Mark that directed me here to get a bit more insight. Am loving the pics and video's (do people still call them video's?... I do as I'm old).. looking forward to reading through.

• Like 2