Why become a member? ×

The 'Show us your Limelight!' thread

wateroftyne

[quote name='MattM' timestamp='1473943741' post='3134348']
New 62 in Fiesta Red just landed. Downsizing collection to one wooden bass only from my XL2, couldn't find a decent 2EQ Ray, and have really enjoyed a Matt Freeman Precision as my 2nd residence bass for past couple,of years following a bad MIM Precision experience years ago. My first relic bass also (wife and son: "it needs a new paint job" - sheesh!). Very impressed so far, nice comfy neck - rolled edges, 40mm B type nut, and sounds great with flats on. I can do anything from Motown (tone off)to 70s/80s punk and indie with a pick. Chuffed.

[/quote]

I love it!

:gas:

This coming from a guy who is not a fan of 'relics'...

• Like 1

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1473948077' post='3134424']
Thats great! What year/model is it based on? I know you said 1962 but I assumed it was a typo. :)
[/quote]

It was listed as a 60s and it does have a slab rosewood board and tort, however to me it's probably nearer a late 60s/early 70s with the TV logo (my personal fave P logo) and 40mm B neck nut, the latter being reminiscent of Nate Mendels P. Oh, and it's notably lightweight and resonant, around the 8.5 pounds mark. It's a great bass.

Edited by MattM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I love my Limelights, here is a picture of them together!

Limelight 00161 is built as a 1960's Pre CBS Fender spec Precision Bass apart from two obvious things. It has a MM passive pickup and a left handed Jazz neck but set up to play as a right handed instrument.

Limelight 00190 is built as a 1970's spec Fender Jazz Bass with the addition of a Hipshot Xtender.

Both are strung with Fender 9050 flatwounds and play like a dream!

• 2 months later...

Having been gassing for a fiesta red/tort precision for over a year, I've just ordered a "Pino" style '62 with very light relic from Mark. 12 weeks quoted, might be faster - photos to follow as soon as it's here.

I've got a sunburst road worn 50s Precision already so it'll be interesting to compare them. Can't wait!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

[quote name='Fred Leicester' timestamp='1493384480' post='3287968']
Just heard from Mark, my Limelight (no.199) is ready!

Looks great, apparently the close up body/pickguard photo is the most accurate indication of the true colour. Will post some more photos up once it arrives! Can't wait :-)
[/quote]

Very nice indeed :)

It's arrived!

Amazing how old it looks in the "flesh" - Mark has done a cracking job!

Will have a proper play later, but intial thoughts are - it's extremely resonant, feels like it's been well played in as you'd expect. The pickup is "hotter" than that of my Roadworn P, and sounds terrific. Neck isn't as wide, but is chunkier than my RW, but very comfortable as well. It's got real character. Will give it a full volume run out with my band next week. All in all, very, very happy. 🙂

Looks great Fred :)
I played one just like it a few years back. It had a slimmer, narrower neck than most other P's
And it was just awesome. It was also for sale at that time, and I needed to sell another before buying...
... I'm still sorely disappointed I let that one go! I'm jealous now lol

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1493896755' post='3291579']
I played one just like it a few years back. It had a slimmer, narrower neck than most other P's
And it was just awesome. It was also for sale at that time, and I needed to sell another before buying...
[/quote]

Get yourself one ordered, Marc ;-)

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1493896755' post='3291579']
[/quote]

I agree, it was a good one!

[quote name='Fred Leicester' timestamp='1493900706' post='3291652']
Get yourself one ordered, Marc ;-)
[/quote]

Ah, I'm already at "bass capacity, plus one" sadly Fred
And I love all the basses I have so much, I can't bear to part with any of them either :o

Oh the pain, the pain!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='DanH71' timestamp='1494881033' post='3299318']
Anyone give me an idea on what the limelight relics cost?

Say a 65 Jazz Bass, orange with white undercoat and a few worn patches showing underlying wood. Fender Decal on headstock.

Thanks
[/quote]

Drop Mark a message : [email protected]

He'll soon let you know what the cost will be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...