Why become a member? ×

The 'Show us your Limelight!' thread

wateroftyne

On 06/07/2018 at 16:12, knicknack said:

As of today, here's my collection:

P7060740.JPG

I asked Mark to do a side mounted jack for my PJ as it is in your blue PJ, but somehow he forgot this and my PJ came with the jack and the three knobs on the pickguard - we found a good agreement to solve this issue.

Right now I have a BassXX 2 band preamp in the bass, so it has two stacked knobs. I really like "activating" old-style basses, so I asked Mark for an addiational routing for the 9V battery. ;)

IMG_20180707_091626~2.jpg

IMG_20180621_175347~2.jpg

• Like 1

Been toying with the idea of a double MM Pup arrangement and then I see this on the Limelight gallery:

39661519_LLMM2.thumb.JPG.ee34e713cdbe3ec492277408dac65590.JPG

Aside of some personal changes I'd do with the aesthetics, it's pretty much exactly what I had in mind.

I wonder what clever sort got that one?

• Like 1

On 01/08/2018 at 09:33, LewisK1975 said:

Aside of some personal changes I'd do with the aesthetics, it's pretty much exactly what I had in mind.

I wonder what clever sort got that one?

If this bass is what you are looking for, I have good new for you @LewisK1975. It is for sale in a german / swiss bass forum here is the link:

https://www.bassic.de/kleinanzeigen/limelight-bass-2016.16391/

I'm sure that the seller can answer you in english.

Good luck!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, drlargepants said:

No sunburst either :(

Sunburst only if Mark gets a Sunburst painted body. My Jazz Bass is Olympic White over 3TS. He told me that he got the body somewhere else, not made by his “wood guy“

• 2 months later...

Every Limelight I have had chance to try has been really good for the price. The details like neck surface finish has been superior to any Fender I have tested, but this is purely subjective. I just happen to like their working concept and the broke-in feel. A relic CS P or Nash may have something similar in them but their prices are astronomical. Test drive before buy.

I've got a new one!

I sold my last one on here to fund the purchase of this, #00223.

I've put Lindy Frailin +5 overwounds in it and a John East Retro 01 preamp. I specced it with a Hipsot D-Tuner.

This is the best bass guitar I've ever owned.

20181105_130206.jpg

20181105_130217.jpg

20181105_130232.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

IMG_0363.thumb.JPG.8268490096246f08e9d179f85a4ea2de.JPGIMG_0365.thumb.JPG.ac626b121947f22401138c419704082a.JPGIMG_0367.thumb.JPG.0a2145808677f2e44ba95c127b6a4f5b.JPG

Got this from Mark after seeing the picture on his web site , now I'm aware such a heavy relic is not to a lot of people's taste however I really like the look and it plays sublimely 

It's meant to be a 68/69 precision with a Jazz width neck and the addition of the J pup which apparently was a popular mod around then also has a genuine Fender nitro cellulose pickguard and a side mounted jack socket. 

Only downside it is slightly heavy for long sets but it's worth the trade off 

To me another example of a quality bass from Mark 

Edited by peety
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, knicknack said:

@peety I was wondering who got that one... I still have the pics on my phone from when I went and played it, and then deliberated too long! Awesome bass!

Mark had made me a Dakota red 58P and I was struggling with the size of the neck ,when I saw this on the website,   This is the 3rd LImelight I've hadn't they've all been great basses but this is the best , the Jazz neck makes it extremely playable. 

This really does feel so played in and strung with flats has that proper old school P bass vibe , Marks pickups are up there with the best I've ever played 

Also had a lot of comments from band mates and people at gigs , as I said lots of people don't like the whole relic thing but I guess that's a personal thing 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Mark is making me a 1960's stack knob light relic fretless jazz in Sherwood Green. I so can't wait. He said its going to be 12 to 16 weeks so I won't get it until July at the earliest but so excited.

Does anyone know what strings Mark puts on the bass or do I need to specify?

6 minutes ago, knicknack said:

@Linus27 I've generally given him a pack of what I'm into at the time but I think he's usually got Rotosound on them otherwise... 

Ok thank you, Rotosound rounds would be my choice but I would like the lighter gauge of 40 - 100. I might drop him an email. Thanks for your reply.

Edited by Linus27

9 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

Mark is making me a 1960's stack knob light relic fretless jazz in Sherwood Green. I so can't wait. He said its going to be 12 to 16 weeks so I won't get it until July at the earliest but so excited.

Does anyone know what strings Mark puts on the bass or do I need to specify?

I would specify. I wanted TI flats on the precision which he made for me and he was happy to oblige.

This one arrived with some rattly red silk jobbies.

Probably Rotos 105 -45

I am going to replace them with some D'Addarios before my next gig, but that isn't till the end of the month so I'm in no hurry.

On 05/02/2019 at 05:12, peety said:

Mark had made me a Dakota red 58P and I was struggling with the size of the neck ,when I saw this on the website,   This is the 3rd LImelight I've hadn't they've all been great basses but this is the best , the Jazz neck makes it extremely playable. 

This really does feel so played in and strung with flats has that proper old school P bass vibe , Marks pickups are up there with the best I've ever played 

Also had a lot of comments from band mates and people at gigs , as I said lots of people don't like the whole relic thing but I guess that's a personal thing 

Sorry to be so late to reply to this! lol
Yes, My Limelight P/J has a Jazz width neck on it, and it's lovely & comfortable. A little bit chunkier (deeper?) than my Fender Jazz, but a very comfortable neck

Re the pickups Mark uses - I don't know what they are, but they sound absolutely awesome. I put a set of his Precision pickups into another bass, and the Limelight pickups improved the sound hugely....
My Limelight is the best sounding P bass I've ever had or played - my JV is the closest to it, and I don't know how that sounds quite as good as it does... it simply does :)

My JV and my Limelight usually get comments from other band members, and sometimes members of the audience. I don't usually get comments from the audience, except when I'm playing EUB - when they ask me what it is ;)