Why become a member? ×

The 'Show us your Limelight!' thread

wateroftyne

Here's mine, Charcoal Frost, Jazz neck. I got it last week, from here. I've already changed a few things - on went Labellas, and I didn't like the pickup at all, muddy at the bottom end, too forward in the low mids, so I stuck in a set of Custom Shop '62s I had knocking around. Lush vintage tones now. Bass looks great, funky and beat up. Nice weight and balance. I think I still prefer my Nash PB63, but this is sufficiently different to warrant keeping it. Build quality isn't as good as the Nash though, the soldering on the loom looks like it was done by a 10 year old, and the foam under the pickups looks like it was found on the floor underneath the work bench and attacked with the bacon scissors. IMG_2125.thumb.JPG.d5208129bff93591f6c97f3fdbf5f633.JPG

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Skin Lewis said:

Here's mine, Charcoal Frost, Jazz neck. I got it last week, from here. I've already changed a few things - on went Labellas, and I didn't like the pickup at all, muddy at the bottom end, too forward in the low mids, so I stuck in a set of Custom Shop '62s I had knocking around. Lush vintage tones now. Bass looks great, funky and beat up. Nice weight and balance. I think I still prefer my Nash PB63, but this is sufficiently different to warrant keeping it. Build quality isn't as good as the Nash though, the soldering on the loom looks like it was done by a 10 year old, and the foam under the pickups looks like it was found on the floor underneath the work bench and attacked with the bacon scissors. 

Aha! so you're the fine folk that stopped me from getting this bass :D 

I guess the pickups are down to taste - they do get plenty of praise here, I swapped my PJ ones for an Aguilar PJ set and to be dead honest I felt no difference to it. Traded the Aguilars and sold the bass cause I'm not a fan of PJ's no matter how much I try...

I guess we have to take into consideration the £2k for a Nash too which I am sure is an incredible instrument! The chance for custom/semicustom classics just shy into the four figures is great to my liking, and a frigging great option if you snap one 2nd hand!

Limelight P Bass with Jazz neck seems to be my thing after however many basses I've owned.

Enjoy them both!

Ander.

38 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

I guess the pickups are down to taste - they do get plenty of praise here, I swapped my PJ ones for an Aguilar PJ set and to be dead honest I felt no difference to it. Traded the Aguilars and sold the bass cause I'm not a fan of PJ's no matter how much I try...

I guess we have to take into consideration the £2k for a Nash too which I am sure is an incredible instrument! The chance for custom/semicustom classics just shy into the four figures is great to my liking, and a frigging great option if you snap one 2nd hand!

Yes, the Limelight pickups are just not for me, or the music I play. The Lollars on the Nash are the best I've had. There's probably a certain amount of inconsistency in build and quality of components with a custom build at the Limelight price point. Very happy with both of them though, a vast improvement over the Aerodyne PJ I had before. And owning a Limelight, a Nash, and a Custom Shop, I can say that you get what you pay for.

• Like 2

On 10/10/2021 at 17:29, Skin Lewis said:

The Lollars on the Nash are the best I've had.

Hm. I'm interested in that different boutique pickup world... I've moved around Nordstrand and Aguilar all the time. Lollar's Fralin's... But I digress!

I may have gotten myself into some sort of double trouble... Will find out tomorrow!

image.png.e34cc389387088bb9ff132703adc3edb.png

1 minute ago, Jono Bolton said:

I don't know if this has been covered, I'll admit to not having read all 40 pages of the thread, but does anyone know where Limelight source their bodies and necks? Are they from Allparts or somewhere like that?

I believe the necks are Allparts, and the bodies are custom made.

• Like 1

On 08/10/2021 at 18:23, Ander87 said:

So... Big day today friends - my new Limelight is ready and will be shipped out to me on Tuesday.

I will report once in hand, but the spec is alder/maple neck, purple metallic under white, '68 P bass with Jazz neck and some winks to the 57/58s. Lightweight as requested with Goto Resolites at 3.7kg/8.2lbs. Ultra Light relic with weather checking on the nitro. Matching headstock and well, a Nordy Blade P I had around (I'll have Limelight's 70s vintage hot pickup in the tweed case ordered).

I can boldly say it is the most beautiful bass I've ever seen - challenge me to that!

The experience with Mark has been superb, and I think it shows; the first three pictures are more colour accurate, the ones on the floor show more blue than the bass is - enter Grimace!

image.thumb.png.afe11ed2033005ef67e26b57420e6b6c.png

image.thumb.png.3d3c5fa51eadad67909ef9d154ae1844.pngimage.thumb.png.4aad071fd24db1b7b0c113ae68b3a2c4.pngimage.thumb.png.6f148abd7f9ee5efa4c4ccc6906e6a5a.pngimage.thumb.png.b3cd7613bd751943b063d194fc54c59e.pngimage.thumb.png.4fce0fdc98efc1b0a4c35c44d0431598.pngimage.thumb.png.9bfc503e14e83ec89103a452a4cadaf1.pngimage.thumb.png.de6da77f76511066e9755eff6ea43dad.png

.... AND LOOK AT THAT HEADSTOCK!!!!!

image.thumb.png.91ed4879af051b1345fc966509e5605b.png

I am already a very happy customer, and will be hunting another Limelight P veeery, very soon! Hope you enjoyed it, will share more detail!

Ander.

h sweet lordy.. I currently own @hiram.k.hackenbacker's Natural Deacon tribute, if I ever get one made myself something like this will be on my list (with a 70's vibe)

On 26/10/2021 at 13:16, LukeFRC said:

Not a limelight... but I see your purple and raise you early 60's style P in Lake placid blue...

Oooooh that is TASTY!!

23 hours ago, Nibody said:

h sweet lordy.. I currently own @hiram.k.hackenbacker's Natural Deacon tribute, if I ever get one made myself something like this will be on my list (with a 70's vibe)

Nice! yep, I couldn't resist going for something loud - it's a '68 everywhere but the anodised gold and maple board is defo a wink to the '57s...

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well. So the story is I tried to buy this bass some 2 months ago and it ran out of my hands when it was in Milton Keynes right next door to me in Northants. Because I had missed this chance I started bothering folk to see if they'd let go of one of their jazz necked P basses - that's how my Olympic white came to me.

Thanks to @Reggaebass and encouraged by @Cuzzie, I was made aware this charcoal frost bass was back on sale! In Bristol now.... just where I had a gig last night!

So this beautiful, gorgeous bass came with me:

image.thumb.png.34a2f890d9b7cac132197f77d2d45eaf.png

The colour of this thing is sensational!!! Very very well achieved, like the Sean Hurley P - but also can look almost grey in many pictures/light angles

image.thumb.png.b59f2cbf4caae1b9b7cd986b5448baf9.png

And the whole family together: the purple for my punk rock band and dirtiest tones with a Nordy P blade, the Olympic White is the bright and punchy one with a Nordy NP4A (can totally recommend this pickup, the punch of a stingray and grind of a P!), and this new addition will go likely on an NP4V with labella flat wounds... AND YES, I'M INSTALLING THE JAGUAR MUTE!!! Will report on that...!

image.thumb.png.fde9168fe863cfc76fb22420ba7d9b2c.png

I have to add I love how different each bass is, you'd think all of them being jazz necked p basses they'd be redundant, but a change of pickup/strings and they're totally different - even before plugging them they've different tones....!

I'm a happy happy happy guy!

Ander.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Skin Lewis said:

I hope it settles with you Anders, it's definitely a looker. If it had a P neck I might have kept it.....hope the gig went well.

Hey Dave! Thanks for taking good care of him 😀 the contrary for me, always after these jazz neck p basses…!

The gig went great and really enjoyed Bristol! Can’t always bring mementos this nice from a gig so that made it nicer yet!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ander87 said:

Well. So the story is I tried to buy this bass some 2 months ago and it ran out of my hands when it was in Milton Keynes right next door to me in Northants. Because I had missed this chance I started bothering folk to see if they'd let go of one of their jazz necked P basses - that's how my Olympic white came to me.

Thanks to @Reggaebass and encouraged by @Cuzzie, I was made aware this charcoal frost bass was back on sale! In Bristol now.... just where I had a gig last night!

So this beautiful, gorgeous bass came with me:

image.thumb.png.34a2f890d9b7cac132197f77d2d45eaf.png

The colour of this thing is sensational!!! Very very well achieved, like the Sean Hurley P - but also can look almost grey in many pictures/light angles

image.thumb.png.b59f2cbf4caae1b9b7cd986b5448baf9.png

And the whole family together: the purple for my punk rock band and dirtiest tones with a Nordy P blade, the Olympic White is the bright and punchy one with a Nordy NP4A (can totally recommend this pickup, the punch of a stingray and grind of a P!), and this new addition will go likely on an NP4V with labella flat wounds... AND YES, I'M INSTALLING THE JAGUAR MUTE!!! Will report on that...!

image.thumb.png.fde9168fe863cfc76fb22420ba7d9b2c.png

I have to add I love how different each bass is, you'd think all of them being jazz necked p basses they'd be redundant, but a change of pickup/strings and they're totally different - even before plugging them they've different tones....!

I'm a happy happy happy guy!

Ander.

Congrats and well deserved 🤘🏾

• Thanks 1