Why become a member? ×

Warwick basses with Double P pick ups?

Biaeothanata-Bassist

Hey guys

I've really been loving the tone of the Warwick basses lately but the ones that have really drawn me are the ones with the Dual P - Bass pick ups in them. Mainly Marco Hietala from Nightwish's ones. I know the electronics are the standard MEC set ups and he's just running them in to Sansamp RBI and either a Warwick Hellborg pre amp with Pro tube head or Ampeg SVT 4 Pro head.

My question is though, what warwick models have there been (that aren't custom shop models) with the Dual P configuration?

So far i've seen a
- Stryker with Buzzard headstock (for sale on here somewhere too i believe?)
- Corvette 2005 LTD edition
- Buzzard series (like the one Marco plays)

And that is it! I'd really love to know if there's a Vampyre with this pick up option as it sounds so nice set up like that and the Vampyre is my favourite Warwick shape.

Cheers

theres a really rare 5th anniversary one that Warwickhunt has.
It's not a double P but cheaper secondhand and I think it would possibly be able to reasonably get close sound wise is the corvette (or streamer) $$, Supposed to be good basses too.

Other than that a Vampyre with duel P pups, they will build you one but at a cost! You might be cheepers finding a secondhand vampyre or even the rock bass version and paying a luthier to pup the dual P pups in.

If you need the hellborg preamp part of the sound ;) ...... :D

Yep, it pretty much sums it up.
Buzzard and Stryker, and Corvette 2005LE. I don't know for the 5th anniversary.

You can order through a reputed dealer a Custom Shop Vampyre.
Base Price is for an NT vampyre is 5454.90€ (oil finish)
Alternate P'up selection is around 300€ (you have to ask, ot's not on the price list)
Alternate routing is 254.10€.

And here you go.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1408515345' post='2530828']
theres a really rare 5th anniversary one that Warwickhunt has.
It's not a double P but cheaper secondhand and I think it would possibly be able to reasonably get close sound wise is the corvette (or streamer) $$, Supposed to be good basses too.

Other than that a Vampyre with duel P pups, they will build you one but at a cost! You might be cheepers finding a secondhand vampyre or even the rock bass version and paying a luthier to pup the dual P pups in.

If you need the hellborg preamp part of the sound ;) ...... :D
[/quote]

Man if i had the money, i'd bite your hand off, then buy the pre amp off you. They really are beautiful sounding pre's! I'm very tempted to just save for a Warwick Dark Lord Vampyre or the newer RockBass Vampyre (2 piece bridge and proper headstock) then take it somewhere to have the routes changed to Dual P routes. I know this would involve a re-spray on the front but i'm not fussed about that.

[quote name='Henrythe8' timestamp='1408608765' post='2531676']
Yep, it pretty much sums it up.
Buzzard and Stryker, and Corvette 2005LE. I don't know for the 5th anniversary.

You can order through a reputed dealer a Custom Shop Vampyre.
Base Price is for an NT vampyre is 5454.90€ (oil finish)
Alternate P'up selection is around 300€ (you have to ask, ot's not on the price list)
Alternate routing is 254.10€.

And here you go.
[/quote]

I think I just had a heart attack reading that price list. Please don't do that again! haha. But seriously is that what the custom shop charge? That's ridiculous money. I know they produce fantastic instruments but wow, that's seriously OTT.

[quote name='Biaeothanata-Bassist' timestamp='1408661666' post='2532410']
Man if i had the money, i'd bite your hand off, then buy the pre amp off you. They really are beautiful sounding pre's! I'm very tempted to just save for a Warwick Dark Lord Vampyre or the newer RockBass Vampyre (2 piece bridge and proper headstock) then take it somewhere to have the routes changed to Dual P routes. I know this would involve a re-spray on the front but i'm not fussed about that.

I think I just had a heart attack reading that price list. Please don't do that again! haha. But seriously is that what the custom shop charge? That's ridiculous money. I know they produce fantastic instruments but wow, that's seriously OTT.
[/quote] I don't know how anyone affords Warwicks new, let alone the custom shop!

I personally went down the "MuscleCar" road and play an amazing SD Curlee Curbeck 2.
Not a warwick, but 2 Dimarzio P's, reversed and mirrored.
(OK, the pic is bad, I just had it on hands, and it shows the P'up config).

The price list on the Waqrwik is..; well, the pricelist. You should go to you preferred Warwick dealer in order to have a proper Street price.
But you'd still be in the 4.5/5k range.

I forgot to say that there are some Buzzard Bolt On, with the Warwick head and not the Buzzard one, that are more affordable. But they are quite rare and hard to find.

Here's the "standard Buzzard Head" :

Edited by Henrythe8