Why become a member? ×

Canteen Cup ??

Dr.Dave

I've missed something along the way.

Why (partic on Ebay but also in the 'for sales' here and in other places) do sellers only give the first couple of digits of Fender serial numbers??
Not just on vintage models either - can't figure it out. There must be a sound reason but I'm always tempted to think that if they withold information from me they're less than 100% straight. Obviously that's not the case because it's so widespread inc folk with excellent reputations.

Sorry to be as thick as a whale sandwich but I just don't get it.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='248794' date='Jul 27 2008, 10:00 AM']I've missed something along the way.

Why (partic on Ebay but also in the 'for sales' here and in other places) do sellers only give the first couple of digits of Fender serial numbers??
Not just on vintage models either - can't figure it out. There must be a sound reason but I'm always tempted to think that if they withold information from me they're less than 100% straight. Obviously that's not the case because it's so widespread inc folk with excellent reputations.

Sorry to be as thick as a whale sandwich but I just don't get it.[/quote]

I suspect that most people only quote the first part of the number to prevent fraudsters using the number to sell a fake.

Andy :)

[quote name='backwater' post='248797' date='Jul 27 2008, 10:03 AM']I suspect that most people only quote the first part of the number to prevent fraudsters using the number to sell a fake.

Andy :)[/quote]

I wondered that but it doesn't game out does it? A fraudster can just dream up a number , partic if he has the first few digits.
Personally I reckon the more people that know my 73P is 412347 the better. Then if it gets nicked you'll all know not to buy it and if you (or I) ever see that number in an ad and it's not my bass we'll know it's a fraud and we can contact the feds.

[quote name='backwater' post='248797' date='Jul 27 2008, 10:03 AM']I suspect that most people only quote the first part of the number to prevent fraudsters using the number to sell a fake.

Andy :)[/quote]

i used to import and sell robots on ebay, and there was a huge problem with scammers. we tried to come with as many possible ways of proving the auction wasn't a scam, mine were highly personalised, but then idiots took to copying my entire auctions and relisting them. (so i started adding rude messages to my self-hosted images after my auctions had ended)

we never did figure out whether adding serials was a good or bad thing, people seemed to scam regardless. (and people continued to buy the scams)

seems bizarre that the fender thing is so widespread! i hadn't noticed.

x

I read something a while ago about why people do this (on any guitar, not just Fenders). I can't remember exactly what the potential fraud was, but I think it was along the lines that someone would claim the guitar had been stolen from them. It made reasonable sense when I read it originally. It was definitely a fraud against the seller, not someone using the SN to defraud others.

[quote name='spinynorman' post='249581' date='Jul 28 2008, 01:58 PM']I read something a while ago about why people do this (on any guitar, not just Fenders). I can't remember exactly what the potential fraud was, but I think it was along the lines that someone would claim the guitar had been stolen from them. It made reasonable sense when I read it originally. It was definitely a fraud against the seller, not someone using the SN to defraud others.[/quote]

Ahhhh - now that is interesting. Hadn't thought of that.

[quote name='spinynorman' post='249581' date='Jul 28 2008, 02:58 PM']I read something a while ago about why people do this (on any guitar, not just Fenders). I can't remember exactly what the potential fraud was, but I think it was along the lines that someone would claim the guitar had been stolen from them. It made reasonable sense when I read it originally. It was definitely a fraud against the seller, not someone using the SN to defraud others.[/quote]

sounds a bit paranoid to me. OK, i'd like to state for the record that my 73P has been nicked. Serial no 412347.
Even if I managed to knock up a photo of me with an identical bass I doubt very much that plod would just recover it for me... or would they??? :brow: :)

[quote name='SteveO' post='250871' date='Jul 29 2008, 10:24 PM']sounds a bit paranoid to me. OK, i'd like to state for the record that my 73P has been nicked. Serial no 412347.
Even if I managed to knock up a photo of me with an identical bass I doubt very much that plod would just recover it for me... or would they??? :brow: :)[/quote]

The theory is sound, but unless you could categorically prove it was yours, then surely it’s Person #1’s word against Person #2’s. The police wouldn’t really be able to do anything, and the likelihood of the matter is that the rightful owner is likely to have many pictures of them playing the bass at gigs (possibly able to prove dates of ownership by this?) as well as general pics of the bass over a period of time? Possibly original receipts?
I agree with the good Dr. that I’d prefer people to know the serials of my gear so that in the event of some of it getting nicked there is a better chance that someone will spot it.
This is probably completely missing the point of why people don’t post their serial numbers, but maybe this is a good idea for a security thread? People could post their serial numbers with pictures of their basses/gear so that in the event of it getting nicked there is a dated record and picture of the serial number which could possibly prove ownership and make others aware of what their stolen gear looks like so people might be able to spot it and possibly retrieve it? I dunno, just an idea, maybe a sh*t one.