Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Bass Super Midget (Generation Three)

Hamerock

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience with the Barefaced Midget (newest or older generations)? What's it like as a cab, sound and portability wise? I basically want to get the lightest loudest cab I can which I can take on the tube etc and this looks like it may fit the bill. I play a Jazz into a Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.2 head at the moment, with a Vanderkley 112MNT cab (which is small and light but not small and light enough).

I've got the Gen2 version - very light and loud, but I wouldn't want to be carrying it on the Tube as its not very small and the side mounted handle means it could be a bit awkward in confined spaces . Goes best with a warmer voiced amp...gets a bit shouty with very clean/hard sounding amps (like my old SWR stuff). It takes eq well and is pretty easy to smooth the mid response out. A great cab but I suspect the latest version is both a bit smaller and smoother sounding.

I had one of the Gen2 ones, without a tweeter. It was a good little cab, on it`s own a bit shouty as BassBod says, but powerful. I had mine paired with a Compact which I found too warm and smooth, so I never had to try and eq the shoutiness out, as together they were great. But as is said, it`s easier to remove what is there, than add what isnt.

I have a Gen 3 Super Midget with silver cloth grill (<10kg) and a Roqsolid bag to keep it in. Recently I walked to the railway station with the cab in its bag on one shoulder and a bass in a gigbag in the other hand - ten minutes there, another ten-fifteeen minutes walk in Milan to the shop and the return journey with a new EA iAmp Micro in the bag pocket. I would not necessarily want to make a habit of it, but it is certainly doable. It would have been unthinkable to do even part of that journey with my old (pre-Fender, > 21kg) SWR workingman's 12.

The construction quality seems first-class, I really can't fault it.

Sound-wise the cab is clear and transparent without being harsh, reproduces the low-B with confidence and without losing definition. I play a six-string fretless Manne Acustibass which can make traditional electric fretless noises as well as some more acoustic double-bass-esque tones: the cab is quite happy reproducing all these sounds (and my errors) without any sign of colouring.

I tried a number of other amps in the shop, including an impressively loud Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 and a Taurus BL 450 with very pronounced lows and highs. While these sounds were not what I was looking for, the cab was quite capable of dealing with whatever was thrown at it and I am sure would suit many different playing styles.

I have only used it at one gig and one rehearsal so far but combined with the EA micro it certainly seems to be more than loud enough for my current needs. If I do ever need more volume, I will consider adding a Super Compact.

• 5 years later...

I have a jazz with TI flats ,the silver midget,no horn sounds fine for small gigs,did not like it for bigger ones so bought a super twin which is great,before that I bought the 10 to go with the midget 12 but I did not like that.I did ab the midget and 10 at a small gig and though maybe the 10 had a little more bass but the guys in the band from where they were thought the midget did.From the point of view re size the 10 is small and I put it in a drum carry bag.Will keep the midget and sell the 10 but really both sound nice....for small  gig ,no pa support