Why become a member? ×

Can I / should I have a fretless bass fretted?

Gamble

Hiya all. I've spotted a bass I'd really rather like to add to my stable, but it's a fretless and unfortunately I don't play 'em - I'd be wanting to use this bass in my current band playing material already written that I can barely play with frets as it is, so don't suggest I just level up and learn something new either! ;-)
I was just wondering if there's any reason I couldn't get it fretted for me by a luthier? The biggest issue I can foresee would be not getting enough additional height on the bridge, I'd imagine a new nut would be in order too but that shouldn't be the end of the world. Is there anything I'm overlooking?

If it's all perfectly plausible, can anyone give me a rough idea of cost, and maybe some suggestions on where to take it for the work? Ideally in or around Norwich, but I'll happily travel or post it if needs be
be.

Cheers!

Fretting a fretless is perfectly straightforward and any 'luthier' will be able to do it (as opposed to local lads that can set-up basses but don't have the right tools to properly fret a neck). Bridges generally have enough adjustment (harder to get a bass down for fretless than up for fretted) and manufacturers will have one bridge for their models whether fretted or fretless. If it needs to be jiggled you can always find ways to do it (shims etc).

Price as RATM said is about right with extra work adding to the cost. I'm North so know nobody in your neck of the woods.

If you are adding to the stable rather than swopping, why not try fretless? I hardly play bass at all (I'm the band's reserve when the bassist wants to play lead) and then bassist switched across to fretless...

...to my utter amazement it took no time for me to be able to adapt. Yes - I have to look at the side dots, but as long as you can do that, it's pretty straightforward.

+1 to the above - why not try fretless? Working on fretless can only help with musicality, phrasing, intonation, overall tone, etc.

As to fretting the fretless neck - the economics of everything indicate that a new fretted neck with the same specs and dimensions from a standard aftermarket source will be less expensive than hand-fretting.