Why become a member? ×

Phil Lynott : 65th birthday - 'Live & Dangerous' day on BC?

The Admiral

Big Lizzy fan have everything they released and a few they didnt.
Have over a 100 gigs recordings and not a bad one among them.
The tribute bands are garbage compared to the real thing even the Gorham\Downey one is a very pale imitation.
Phil was Thin Lizzy and gave us a great back catalogue which i am eternally grateful for.

I've seen Limehouse Lizzy and I think they are very good. The main guy doesn't try to be Lynott but is just being himself. I guess they could be called a 'tribute' band in the real sense of the word tribute, rather than a cheap copy. IMO etc. Mind you the leftie guitarist is one of those odd fellows that plays with it upside down.

Was a big Lizzy fan back in the day. Went to the 10th anniversary Vibe for Philo in Dublin (the Point i think?) with my mate who is still a huge Lizzy fan. We visited his grave, left the inevitable black rose (well as dark red as we could get!) & then went out to his old house where his mum now lives. My mate wanted to go & pay his respects but I didn't want to intrude, so I stayed in the car. Lynotts mum Philomena came out to the car (in the rain) to get me in for a cup of tea as she was pleased to see & chat to anybody who made the effort to come out there! She made us & a japanese couple who where there very welcome, gave us a tour of the tribute/shrine room dedicated to Phil. Saw his precision & ibanez at very close quarters & loads of memorabilia. Philomena gave us all a big hug farewell & we all had a few tears. A lovely person of great warmth & dignity on what must have been a difficult day. Then onto the gig in the evening after a good few porters to see Limehouse Lizzy, Eric Bell Band & a reformed version of Thin Lizzy with Gorham, Downey, Wharton, Mendoza & Sykes.
A glass was raised this year whilst listening to my faves Johnny the fox & emerald! He was a big influence on me as a singing bass player. RIP Philo.

[quote name='Norm' timestamp='1421149044' post='2657580']
Was a big Lizzy fan back in the day. Went to the 10th anniversary Vibe for Philo in Dublin (the Point i think?) with my mate who is still a huge Lizzy fan. We visited his grave, left the inevitable black rose (well as dark red as we could get!) & then went out to his old house where his mum now lives. My mate wanted to go & pay his respects but I didn't want to intrude, so I stayed in the car. Lynotts mum Philomena came out to the car (in the rain) to get me in for a cup of tea as she was pleased to see & chat to anybody who made the effort to come out there! She made us & a japanese couple who where there very welcome, gave us a tour of the tribute/shrine room dedicated to Phil. Saw his precision & ibanez at very close quarters & loads of memorabilia. Philomena gave us all a big hug farewell & we all had a few tears. A lovely person of great warmth & dignity on what must have been a difficult day. Then onto the gig in the evening after a good few porters to see Limehouse Lizzy, Eric Bell Band & a reformed version of Thin Lizzy with Gorham, Downey, Wharton, Mendoza & Sykes.
A glass was raised this year whilst listening to my faves Johnny the fox & emerald! He was a big influence on me as a singing bass player. RIP Philo.
[/quote]

Why does this site not have a like button? That's an awesome story!

[/quote]

That's the best news I've heard all day, lovely story. Nice one! :)

I'm playing a full 'Live & Dangerous' show at the moment with some ex-members of Limehouse Lizzy - see promo here: [url="http://youtu.be/J-2xTMvL14A"]http://youtu.be/J-2xTMvL14A[/url]

Got some more gigs coming up soon too....

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1421101042' post='2657257']
I was playing a compilation of his non-Lizzy stuff in the car the other week and I'd forgotten he'd written this, most people probably know the Corrs version better.
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2OcIqwmSaY"]https://www.youtube....h?v=d2OcIqwmSaY[/url]
[/quote]

What a great track! I'd never heard that before - even the Corrs version. Thanks for posting. Some truly gorgeous key changes in there - real heart-wrenching stuff, especially in the spirit of this thread. :(

As a result I've just been on Amazon and bought a copy of it on a Phil compilation entitled "Yellow Pearl" B)

[/quote]

Fabulous story; brought a tear to my eye.

There are 2 reasons I play the bass and started as a songwriting frontman/bassist (although I dumped the frontman bit many years ago as I was crap at it!). One is Lemmy and the other is Phil. There is one reason I'm in a band at all, and that's Phil & Lizzy. I remember seeing Lizzy live on the tv in about '79 or so and that was it.

Can't believe he would have been 65. Still miss him terribly.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1421252461' post='2658978']
What a great track! I'd never heard that before - even the Corrs version. Thanks for posting. Some truly gorgeous key changes in there - real heart-wrenching stuff, especially in the spirit of this thread. :(

As a result I've just been on Amazon and bought a copy of it on a Phil compilation entitled[b] "Yellow Pearl"[/b] B)
[/quote]

In fact that was the very compilation I was playing in the car, it's a great companion volume to the Lizzy material for a bargain price.

That day was pretty cool at the time but sounds really cool in the re-telling now. Strange but I hadn't thought about it for a long time until my mate posted a message on the anniversary day & also I saw this thread. Thanks to the op & glad to share my Lynott tale. Just wish I'd met the man himself!

Glad to see this thread doing a Lazarus.

It's a pity that all has gone quiet on the biopic, which many will know is based on Philomena's book 'My Boy' and is optioned by Holly Hunter, with no doubt an eye on playing Phil's mum. Last I read they had Gary Dourdain of CSI fame lined up to play the adult Phil, with Samantha Mumba's younger brother doing the adolescent stage, but it's gone very quiet and I wonder how long the option has to run. In some ways I'm not dissapointed , as Mr Dourdain would have been on a loser from the start, and whoever, if indeed anyone ever, plays the part will not please everybody. The least they need to do is look the part, and have a very good Dublin accent, plus of course learn to play bass, so it's not a sh*te miming job with fingers all over the place. Curiously I was thinking the other day that Richard Ayoade might make agood fist of it - seems a gifted actor and at least has the advantage of not being a yank.

I wonder if the challenge is also about the script? Found a piece online from 2008 (the year after the film was announced as in production) with quotes allegedly from Scott Gorham suggesting that he had seen a script and it was all about the drugs, with too little focus on the music, and that he and other surviving members would never support a film in that structure. It's a great story, which should be told, and people love Phil and his music, despite his obvious demons.

Edited by The Admiral

I met Philomena on a ferry from Ireland to Holyhead around 1997. My Quo tribute band had just finished a tour over there and our manager knew her well. He managed Limehouse Lizzy as well as us. What a lovely lady. She knew all the guys in Limehouse and was proud that they were keeping Phil's music alive.She was on her way to a Lizzy convention in England and chatted with us for a couple of hours. We all got a kiss and a hug when she got off the ferry and I'll never forget what a warm and wonderful lady she is.

[quote name='Lynottfan' timestamp='1421443086' post='2661435']
I do miss the smooth warm sound that Phil had, a lot of rock players seem to just have loads of "clank" and no note definition, but not Phil. I do miss the man.
[/quote]

Tone-master indeed! Speaking of which, which bass is he using here? Looks like some kind of Status (or at least graphite) Fender-type neck...

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqRJtUorPMg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqRJtUorPMg[/url]

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1421657129' post='2663549']
Tone-master indeed! Speaking of which, which bass is he using here? Looks like some kind of Status (or at least graphite) Fender-type neck...

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqRJtUorPMg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqRJtUorPMg[/url]
[/quote]

From what I can see, it looks like his Roland - Based on a Greco GOB.

He also used to use an Ibanez RS900.

:)

[quote name='FlatEric' timestamp='1421657651' post='2663556']
From what I can see, it looks like his Roland - Based on a Greco GOB.[/quote]

Interesting.... did he actually use its synthesiser capabilities, or just play it as a "standard" bass?

Aha!

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-G-88-Philip-Lynott-Bass-Guitar-Synthesizer-Controller-/321630979768?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4ae2b346b8"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-G-88-Philip-Lynott-Bass-Guitar-Synthesizer-Controller-/321630979768?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4ae2b346b8[/url]

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1421663379' post='2663624']
If the cover of L&D is to be believed that great tone is flats through a mic'd B15 - the amp on top of his Acoustic rig and the cab underneath a Marshall 4x12. Presumably a DI as well.
[/quote]

I remember an article about gear, towards the end of his life, and he was talking about basses and amps - and had moved to Dynacord BS412 I think, and the quote was "they have really saved my life....". Some of the later stage shots show the rig : 4 stacked, 2 per side I think - immediately next to the drum riser.