Why become a member? ×

Fender American Vintage 64 Jazz

acidbass

Hi all,

Anyone on here use one of the above? Got some serious GAS for one but haven't played one in the flesh (although I will get the chance in a few weeks)

Are they worth £1600 or would I be better going for a Lakland/D Lakin/Sadowsky? Active not a necessity - I favour passive basses anyway.

The Fenders are real beauties though!

All opinions valued :)

Danny

Are these the ones that come in light blue with matching headstock too?

If so - I played on one for a while when I was looking for a jazz.

Playability was great, style looks spot on if you're after the vintage feel. Build quality is essentially the same across the us range.

I was priced out of it though (bought mine second hand). In my opinion you're paying 400 extra for an American standard with a vintage skin on it, up to you if you think they're worth that. You won't be disappointed with the current range of us fenders though, they're quality.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Danny. I can only vouch for the quality of the AVRI series.

I have an AV75 jazz reissue and it's a wonderful bass. I have gigged this bass way more than any other bass I have, or still own.

I've also got a MIM classic 70 jazz and it's not quite up to the feel and especially the sound of the 75 but also a great instrument. I'd recommend the classic series for a decent saving over the price of the US bass.

You're welcome to try any of my basses if it helps you decide.

Frank.

I wouldn't disagree with Molan because I haven't played the 74 reissue, which is the one I that assume replaced the 75 RI.

All I will say is that the finish and fittings on my 75 RI are excellent. The neck is (I know people say this all the time, but I really mean it, and I'm not trying to sell it :)) the best neck I've owned or played. I have Dimarzio Ultra jazz pickups in mine and the sound is, to my ear anyway, just about as good as it gets. The build quality is up there with the well known Fender-like manufacturers. I can't imagine what the improvements will be like.

So, I look forward to trying the latest Fender reissues.

Although it could be an expensive experience. :mellow:

Frank.

Edited by machinehead

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1409182146' post='2537322']
The latest reissue series is a quality step up from the previous models. Better finished, more of a vintage feel,,custom wound pickups etc.,etc.

Definitely nicer and worth more than the earlier series :)
[/quote]

Having played a lot of AVRI Fenders, I don't agree with this.

The 64 Jazz basses I've played have been good, but they don't feel as nice as the previous 62 reissues do to me.

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1409301726' post='2538400']

Having played a lot of AVRI Fenders, I don't agree with this.

The 64 Jazz basses I've played have been good, but they don't feel as nice as the previous 62 reissues do to me.
[/quote]

In very general terms I think some of the older '62's were better than the previous '64's but all of the latest '64's I've played have been in a differen league to both of the older models. Of course, Fender have been making reissue instruments for years (from early '80's I think) and Fender's QC over such an extended period has been all over the place.

My thoughts about the latest ones being better than the previous ones are based simply on the upgraded models that came out last year vs the ones available directly before them.

The 74's vs 75's also seem nicer to me and QC on these definitely seems a lot better. There are some very nice '75's out there but there are also some real dogs which nasty neck pockets and all sorts of truss rod issues :(

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1409306893' post='2538472']

The 74's vs 75's also seem nicer to me and QC on these definitely seems a lot better. There are some very nice '75's out there but there are also some real dogs which nasty neck pockets and all sorts of truss rod issues :(
[/quote]

Re-issuing the originals a bit too faithfully ? ;)

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1409307166' post='2538480']
Re-issuing the originals a bit too faithfully ? ;)
[/quote]

Funnily enough we had a '75 in at one point for a set up, neck shim & repair to a protruding truss rod and the luthier said he'd seen exactly the same issues on original late 70's Jazzes :)

I have a 2013 '64 Jazz reissue in sunburst.

Very happy with it and this favourable view has grown over time. Good looking and versatile bass.

New prices seem to be coming down in some shops and I've seen a couple of very reasonably priced second hand versions on here of late.

I have found that it's quite easy to take chunks out of the finish easily!

• 5 months later...

I own both the 63 precision and a 64 jazz (actually the way they modeled the jazz is more like a late 62 model then a 64 tho) anyway I love these basses so much..
I havent played a reissue that was closer in feel and sound to the original then these..
Tho also owning a (real) late 62 precision which is supposed to be identical to the 63 ri precision, differences arnt quite hard to spot, headstock is thicker and laminated board is thicker too, but with eyes closed it is an awesome job for sure, as mentioned the feel of the neck and the voicings of the pickups.. Totally get you there..
And even a customshop Fender is different from a real one in most the same respects and on top has a quater sawn maple neck, which the real ones never had..

The weakness of these are the very thin and fragile lacker finishes and heastock logos which wear away like nothing ive seen before.. But I got these two second hand so iTS not that big a deal.. But I can assure these are the best AVRI Fender has produced since the early 80s in my opinion..
I seriously encourage anyone to try one in a store..

Cheers

• 8 months later...