Why become a member? ×

Watching/supporting basschatters at a gig?

paulbass

I've watched fellow basschat members before they'd joined. If I see a local band I tend to end up chatting with the bass player afterwards and if they've never heard of our wonderful community I set them on the straight and narrow.

I may have seen some of you at gigs and not known you were members.

As for how I've come away from the gigs: I've never seen any bass players that have made me think "I should just quit now". I've seen a few that have made me think "I really need to up my game" and I've seen some that have left me thinking "if I ever wanted to be that good then I shouldn't have got married and had kids".

I've known Siphilips (I think that's his username) for about 5 years, I actually didn't know he was on BassChat until last year, he's not very active here.

I went to see monarch with... His ska band (sorry :S) a while back when I was picking up the relay bass.

I'm always surprised how few bass players I know, online and in real life.

I've mentioned these awesome guys before, but so far I have seen:
gjones - great bluesman, very professional
barneyg - 'giant of the bass', can play bass and work a room at the same time
Steve Lawson...bit of a legend, and now a local hero to me
KevB - human jukebox, can play anything you throw at him, all round good guy and my unofficial basschat mentor :D

All inspirational. I don't focus on their gear too much tbh, I just like their individual playing styles. What they all have in common is they make it look effortless. By comparison, I'm just a baby bird learning how to fly! :-)

Edited by seashell

I've seen andyonbass a couple of times, playing double bass / EUB in [url="https://www.facebook.com/imperial.gmen"]The Imperial G-Men[/url]. I was impressed with the DB sound coming through his amp and the PA, but I don't envy him the harder path he has chosen compared to playing bass guitar.

I should also mention I have played guitar in a band when he's been on bass guitar, but that's surely a whole other thread!

A few of the Nottingham crowd:

- BigRedX (Dick Venom and the Terrortones) several times. Always an invigorating show, packed with energy, fun and rock n roll.
- Lee Man (depping in a funky pop band) A top notch player whose years of experience show in spaces. Lovely chap too.
- Big John (Curtis Whitefinger Ordeal/Rust For Glory, Neil Young Tribute) Fun character and a good solid player.

I have yet to see KevB and Prime Bass, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

I`ve seen a few Basschatters, Clarkys band, Xilddx`s band, and Lawrie MacMillan who was standing in on bass I believe (The Greek lent him the bass and as I was also borrowing it at the time we drove it down to the venue). All hanve been very good. But my faves for being "my" sort of music is LowEndBees The Jetsonics. Right up my street they are.

I've seen Shep play, marvelled by his technical ability with the toys at his feet more, lol. Although having heard play some quasi funk jam night he is an ace player.

Ant from Castrovalva (formerly), crazy sounds from 3 balls of eenergy, plan on seeing him in Brawlers if they come Nottingham.

Also seen big red X with dick venom once or twice.

I get to see quite a few bands... and even if the band are not so much for me, I'll go for the social occasion and also to support the venue as much as anything.
I think the latter is pretty important...
I've seen Steve bbb's band and they are very good, and they always have a lot of women at their gig which is a major plus. :lol:
I may have seen Howling wolves locally but if I knew of more of the bands, I'd probably make a point of seeing them,..

We don't get many local muso's come to see us...or not ones that I know of..if they don't introduce themselves.
The guys frm the more popular bands don't tend to come... maybe they are always gigging.. :

Always nice to meet a fellow BCer, but I'd settle for everyone who says they'll go to the gig on Facebook actually arriving...

I haven't seen many (apologies to any BCers that I clearly have seen and have either forgotten or wasn't aware you were a member here). Ou7shined (in Pearl Jammin', Deadfire), Stroopy121 (Needleman), Acebassmusic (Groove Cruise), and of course all the Moffat Bass Bash gang doing their thing.

FB is a short cut to actually doing the rounds and getting your name about.... but now, with the demise
of so many venues it is difficult to know where the music scene is in any one town these days so you can
see why FB is useful.

Thats is why we stick to the 2 most popular pubs in any town that will have their own 'regulars' so we can add
20 or so to their 20-30 or so and you'll have a resonable night and the place makes its money.

Beer in music pubs is £3.50 upwards a pint round here and there are so many other alternatives
that it is hard to get people out. One pub does 3 nights..and probably only pays bands on two, so he
is delighted if all 3 are successful..but you will probably find one of those days is a turnover day for the beer
and is subsidised by the other 2, hopefully.

I am of the opinion that bands that rely a LOT on FB tend to get their mates along at the start and play to packed
pubs but these thin out pretty soon if you don't pick up more people ... as people can't and don't wnat to turn up
everytime.

Despite having met several people from the BC community in real life, I am pretty sure I have never seen any of them play!! I think I have jsut got to the point where I play gigs but never really go and seem any!!

I did se Jasper Holby once and he is on here but never posts (he PM'd me after I posted a transcription of Abraham's New Gift)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1408355775' post='2529209']
FB is a short cut to actually doing the rounds and getting your name about.... but now, with the demise of so many venues it is difficult to know where the music scene is in any one town these days so you can see why FB is useful.

Thats is why we stick to the 2 most popular pubs in any town that will have their own 'regulars' so we can add 20 or so to their 20-30 or so and you'll have a resonable night and the place makes its money.

Beer in music pubs is £3.50 upwards a pint round here and there are so many other alternatives that it is hard to get people out. One pub does 3 nights..and probably only pays bands on two, so he is delighted if all 3 are successful..but you will probably find one of those days is a turnover day for the beer and is subsidised by the other 2, hopefully.

I am of the opinion that bands that rely a LOT on FB tend to get their mates along at the start and play to packed pubs but these thin out pretty soon if you don't pick up more people ... as people can't and don't wnat to turn up everytime.
[/quote]

I'd rather they didn't click on the "Going" button in the first place, but I'm probably being far too old school about it all.

I've seen Clarky playing bass with All the Queen's Ravens ([url="http://allthequeensravens.bandcamp.com/"]http://allthequeensr...s.bandcamp.com/[/url]) and by curious coincidence, shared a bill with Happy Jack while he was playing for Dani Molino ([url="http://danimolino.com/"]http://danimolino.com/[/url]). Both were doing a sterling job on upright bass, which simply furthered my long-standing desire to learn upright bass! I seem to remember Clarky was playing his Ampeg bass which smelt of cheese, and Jack was playing a KK Baby Bass.

[i]Incidentally, [/i](*cough cough*) I'll be playing at the Spice of Life (Central London / Soho), this Friday, with Cherry White, just on the off-chance anyone's hoping to tick another BC'er off their list. Better still we're supporting a prog/psychedelic band from Birmingham who sound pretty damn good - more info at [url="http://hotvox.co.uk/events/exploding-sound-machine-plus-support-0"]http://hotvox.co.uk/...-plus-support-0[/url]

Edited by EliasMooseblaster

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1408357171' post='2529231']
I'd rather they didn't click on the "Going" button in the first place, but I'm probably being far too old school about it all.
[/quote]

ha ha damned if they do, damned if they don't..
Nothing worse than a FB event with '2 going'..???

I have my rele's in Australia 'invited' and they always reply 'going' and that 'looks' good...
Lo and behold, they've turned up twice :lol: :lol: