Why become a member? ×

Berlin Live 2011 [10]. Caspar Brötzmann Massaker - Massaker (1-2)

discreet

[b]Berlin Live 2011 [10]. Caspar Brötzmann Massaker - Massaker (1-2)[/b]

Was sent this link by our guitarist. If he's softening us up for a four-minute guitar intro he can bloody well think again.
Otherwise some very challenging and original playing - and what a venue! Nice pickguard on that Jazz bass, too... ;)

Enjoy. Or not. Depending on your outlook. :)

http://youtu.be/NcPOhQ_cFXw

Reminds me of a Glen Baxter cartoon

'Having inadvertently strapped on his guitar upside down, to avoid any further embarrassment Casper started playing as normal. The notes were all in the wrong place but fortunately nobody seemed to notice.'

I just feel sorry for this bugger's neighbors. If this is the actual performance , what must it be like to have to listen to him practice? They probably sit there crying hysterically , wishing that he would break into the riff from Smoke On The Water.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1407521518' post='2521502']
Have a listen to his Dad...
[/quote]

Wow, that's... challenging. To be honest it's the kind of Jazz that makes me want to eat my own bum.
Quite a lot of Jazz makes me want to eat my own bum. Bum-Jazz, I call it.

But when you've listened to the whole of [i]An Evening with Ornette Coleman[/i] on acid, everything changes.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1407522456' post='2521514']
Wow, that's... challenging. To be honest it's the kind of Jazz that makes me want to eat my own bum.
Quite a lot of Jazz makes me want to eat my own bum. Bum-Jazz, I call it.

But when you've listened to the whole of [i]An Evening with Ornette Coleman[/i] on acid, everything changes.
[/quote]
I've seen Peter Brotzmann on more than a few occasions. I think his and similar music is as challenging as you want it it to be. The problem is that we are brought up for our ears to accept certain types of music. Ornette is my musical hero who i've had the pleasure of seeing live on numerous occasions and i also have all of his official recorded work plus many live recordings.
In respect to music being challenging i'd find listening to say Ornette Coleman, Albert Ayler, Sun Ra or even Peter Brotzmann far less challenging than listening to anything by ELO or the tedious Dark Side of the Moon. Both of those would challenge me in not flinging them frisbee style out of my window. :)
Seriously though there is some great and rewarding music out there if you look outside the norm.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1407529380' post='2521597']
Seriously though there is some great and rewarding music out there if you look outside the norm.
[/quote]

That is very true. Listened to a lot of avant garde stuff in my time... lots of CAN (at a time when my peers listened to Deep Purple) and other so-called 'underground' stuff.
Agree with you about ELO - Pink Floyd to a lesser extent. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1407530023' post='2521605']
That is very true. Listened to a lot of avant garde stuff in my time... lots of CAN (at a time when my peers listened to Deep Purple) and other so-called 'underground' stuff.
Agree with you about ELO - Pink Floyd to a lesser extent. :)
[/quote]
Yes i remember from previous posts that you like a lot of different music and i must admit my tongue was slightly in cheek re Pink Floyd. :)

I do think though that so called difficult music gets easier to listen to the more you listen to it. I got into a lot of avant-garde stuff in the 70s and remember reading an article in a classical music magazine at the time about Xenakis, Cage, Varese and Stockhausen and presumed this would be hard to listen to. When i took the plunge i found it a breeze to listen to and not difficult at all. Looking back a i realise that this was because i was listening to Ornette, Sun Ra, Cecil Taylor etc at the time.

Careful With That Axe imiJ :ph34r:

Actually, quite liked that, 1st one in particular.
Bet I'd like it even more after 12 pints of Scruttock's Old Dirigibles :P

Damn shame the bassist is so lacking in taste to spoil a lovely white jazz with a tortie plate :ph34r: ;) :lol:

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1407614366' post='2522384']
Actually, quite liked that, 1st one in particular. Bet I'd like it even more after 12 pints of Scruttock's Old Dirigibles :P
[/quote]

You'd like it even more after a hefty bong of Uncle Mark's Party Finisher. ;)

Now then. I remember back in about 1994 when CBM's [i]Home[/i] CD was released, because Neli Kulkarni in Melody Maker wrote a glowing review of it. I was inclined to pay attention because I was at the time totally immersed in Shudder To Think's [i]Pony Express Record[/i], as previously recommended by NK, not to mention the various Wu-Tang Clan records he'd put me onto.

NK lavished particular praise on the opening few minutes of the tune [i]Massaker[/i] - discreet's first link - from which I still remember the phrase "swirling arabesques", and it is rather impressive stuff, but the bass and drums on the whole CD always sounded leaden to my ears, and spoiled it for me pretty quickly.

The CD is knocking around somewhere, and I think I cut out the review and left it in the sleeve. I'll have a look, if I remember.

[quote name='Mr H' timestamp='1407701643' post='2523204']
...NK lavished particular praise on the opening few minutes of the tune [i]Massaker[/i] - discreet's first link - from which I still remember the phrase "swirling arabesques", and it is rather impressive stuff, but the bass and drums on the whole CD always sounded leaden to my ears, and spoiled it for me pretty quickly.
[/quote]

Had I been playing bass in this situation I'd find it difficult not to break out now and then! Depends what sort of chemicals had been flying about though, obviously. ;)

And in related news, did you see the bass-player's Jazz pickguard? Looks pretty cool to me! :lol:

Edited by discreet

No Jazz bass is ever cool.

[Cat, meet pigeons.]

Turned out I misremembered the phrase "jittery psychedelic arabesques", which is a much better one than the hoary cliché (there's one!) I thought it was, and a reminder of why I liked Neil Kulkarni's writing.

[url="http://s1257.photobucket.com/user/stevejhpb/media/NKCBMMM95_zpsbe0c9085.jpg.html"][/url]