Why become a member? ×

The ideal Bass strap?

Karl Derrick

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1415637017' post='2602237']
[color=#282828]Now we play the waiting game..... Ahh, the waiting game sucks. Let's play Hungry Hungry Hippos!- Homer[/color]
[/quote][/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#282828]I heard that line this very evening - it's from the Mr Plow episode.[/color][/font][/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Karl Derrick' timestamp='1415896448' post='2605000']

If anyone would like to see some initials impressed into leather, let me know?
I have a letterset I had made in 'Optima' font, 8mm tall.

Karl
[/quote]

Yes please Carl. Nearly ready to order now.

[quote name='Karl Derrick' timestamp='1416047660' post='2606362']
Here's a sample of the intial debossing. I have one each of the letters in the set and can stamp up to three characters at once.

The tan takes debossing well, as the leather compresses and turns a little darker.
[/quote]

Letters indicating the section of cow the leather comes from ;-)

Strap arrived - in perfect condition...

Top marks on all fronts - as expected. The Mk.2 works a lot better for a smaller framed person (like myself) - Pics to come.

Thanks for what may be the Ideal bass strap! (For me at this time).
B)

EDIT: A few early pics... This is an extremely comfy strap. It holds the P bass it's on at any angle I place it at. Need to install washers for a more solid strap fix, but as it is it's faily solid (the reinforced ends seem very tough). Will need to do a proper review once I'm used to it a little more. :D

[attachment=176679:P1000516_Small.JPG]
[attachment=176680:P1000517_small.JPG]
[attachment=176681:P1000514_small.JPG]

Edited by PlungerModerno

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1416309493' post='2608836']
Strap arrived - in perfect condition... Top marks on all fronts - as expected. The Mk.2 works a lot better for a smaller framed person (like myself) - Pics to come. Thanks for what may be the Ideal bass strap! (For me at this time). B)
[/quote]

Very good! Didn't think I'd ever have GAS for a strap... but then, PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!! :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1416310513' post='2608845']
Very good! Didn't think I'd ever have GAS for a strap... but then, PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!! :D
[/quote]

Hey - check out post #304 for beauty shots . . . But I have added a few snaps of my one to my last post (# 328).

Now I want one on every bass I pick up. With different colours. And detailing (like studs etc). And lengths (depending on the bass). All in good time!

The prototype strap was a good strap IMO (probably great for someone it fitted perfectly). This mk.2 strap is like a hybrid of that design and a more traditional design - a very reasonable compromise given most buyers probably won't get the chance to be measured for a completely custom fit & contour (or try a range of shapes to get the best fit, increasing delivery costs exponentially!). I'll wait for the initial excitement to fade before giving it a review. I already know it'll be quite positive.

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1416355448' post='2609448']
...I have added a few snaps of my one to my last post (# 328).
[/quote]

It looks very good indeed and I must have one. I need only decide between pippin (slot and hole) or straplock (hole)...
...that sounds like a more interesting decision than it really is. :blink:

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1416360076' post='2609464']
I used leathergraft 4" wide padded leather straps and [i]nothing[/i] else. Fantastic product and I can't recommend them highly enough.
[/quote]

Sounds interesting . . . The clincher for me in this case is the unpadded suede backed shoulder section of the "Skin-Job Ideal Bass Strap Mk.2" - It's subtle curve keeps the pressure on all the suede - providing a wide and grippy surface - It might work on a lightly padded strap - but then I'm no strap expert.

The P bass I'm using it on isn't heavy (my heaviest is a Jazz at a little under 10 lbs) - It just wants to lie closer to horizontal than I like with a slipperier strap. (it has a light ash body, and I like the original, slightly aged tuners!)

Had a quick look at the "4" Softy" on the leathergraft site - sounds kinda funny if you ask me :lol: :unsure: - anyway they look like decent straps. I'd have to try one to really form an opinion.
In any case I'd imagine the 4" (like the Mk.2 at it's wide section) will help a lot with heavy basses and standing for long periods. It's like the bass weighs half of what it weighs with the previous strap (approx 3" wide, made of a foam) - and that's an nice budget strap - This one is super stable.

I guess I got my shoulders & back their christmas present early this year! :P

• 4 weeks later...

I recently received my strap from Karl. I only waited 6 days from order to delivery. Fantastic for a custom piece. It looks fabulous in black with black stitching. I suffer from shoulder problems which I receive treatment for. I've been using the strap for 3 days now without any of my usual aches. That included a 3 hour rehearsal last night. The strap does not slide on my shoulder thus securing the bass at my preferred angle. I use a heavy Sandberg and for the first time I'm not aware of its weight. I thoroughly recommend this strap. Great quality.