Why become a member? ×

The ideal Bass strap?

Karl Derrick

The press studs are very strong, yes.
I'm particular about hardware.

:)

If anyone who tried the brown prototype can attest, they hold extremely well.

With the modular system, there won't be adjustment at the base of the tail strap as on the brown proto, as there's nowhere to put it on the shorter yoke.

What I plan to do is make the strap to the precise measurements supplied, then allow a short and a longer button hole either side of the correct fitting length button hole.

Karl

Interesting ideas there Karl. I've always hated using straps that had the 'woven' end to set the length, as they seemed to stretch under use. So I've always had one piece straps, made to a set length for me. Although I'm liking the modular ideas, with a center yoke.

Sounding good Karl. Separating the front and tail sections from the yoke seems logical and the press studs worked well, enabling some customisation and interchangeability between basses. Presumably the suede backed yoke section would cover both one's shoulder and back (the suede on my Moody strap as it sits flat over my back helps with stability for my big heavier basses).

Having said all that, would separate front and tail sections of the strap affect how the load is spread over the strap? For some reason I keep wondering whether an all-in-one single piece of contoured leather (without separate front and tail sections however attached) might provide the ultimate load spreading solution for those of us with heavy basses.

Thansk for the input, guys.

Well, the main strap/body/weight area is a little at the top of the chest, across the top of the shoulder and a short way down across the back.

While no strap can be everything to everyone, the size and shape of the new yoke section will take and spread the load well.
Wait to see the new proto :)

Also, there's nothing stopping us from having a 'best of both worlds' solution to the stud/stich debate.
The front section could be stitched on, as it's less likely to need changing for different basses. The tail section could be on studs to allow it to be swapped out as required.
This would retain the modular facility at the back but allow the best appearance out front.

Karl

Edited by Karl Derrick

Congratulations on a job well done! I think the 'nick' for neck comfort is a clever ergonomic feature.

Two quick questions:

1. Are you still going to "[i]allow a short and a longer button hole either side of the correct fitting length button hole[/i]" ?

2. Are you ready to take orders on the Mk. 2?? ;)

I'll need to recheck my measurements...

[quote name='Karl Derrick' timestamp='1415213796' post='2598008']
As I say, the strap can't be all things to all people.
Certain decisions have been taken to keep the cost as low as possible.
I got it down to under a hundred Quid a piece. Something has to give somewhere :)

The problem with allowing for additional fitting lengths is the reinforcement tabs.
Each is hand cut, edged, burnished, glued and hand stitched to the strap. If I allow an additional fitting hole either side, I'll increase the workload for that section threefold.

So, I'd rather offer the strap made to a specified length.
If people want options above the standard design, I'll need to charge for each addition.

In answer to question 2?
I'm ready if you guys are happy.

email: [email protected]

Karl
[/quote]

Great stuff!

I can see with careful measurement adjustability isn't needed - and if you like having lots of adjustability (e.g. for one bass you wear much lower than the others) - you can have a dedicated strap for that bass. Good luck... I'll be in touch!

Thanks very much.
If anyone hates my sig on the front, or the company brand on the back then I can leave them off.
I prefer to put them on, as it's good advertising :)

I wore the bass on the strap for over two hours last night, just to see what it felt like.

The difference between the new Mark 2 and my old, shop bought, Levy's strap is night and day.
When you put a parallel strap on you feel all the weight right on your shoulder. The Mark 2 spreads it all out evenly, you can feel the contact of the strap all over your shoulder and back.

My Kubicki is 9 Pounds dead-on.
It feels like a 6 string electric, nothing at all.

Karl

[quote name='Karl Derrick' timestamp='1415271181' post='2598547']

I'll post some more pics of the MK2 in a little while.
See if I can tempt anyone else off the fence :)

Karl
[/quote]

I'll be with you mid November, once the current Visa bill clicks over into the next one :ph34r:

Hi Guys

I received my new bass strap from Karl (Thanks Karl!) on Saturday morning and I have to say that I am extremely impressed.

The leather is soft and supple and the attention to detail is just first class with the finish and stitching all being excellent.

Very comfortable to wear and of course made exactly to the measurements supplied. The revised shape means that the strap now sits nice and flat down my back.

I would add that the stitching on my strap appears more of a contrast colour than the photos would suggest (so slightly darker) however I think that this looks really good. This could of course be a trick of the light from the photos though.

I can see that it wont be long before I order a matching strap in Black. B)

Cheers

Pete

Edited by xzodar