Why become a member? ×

The ideal Bass strap?

Karl Derrick

Thanks Edster,

I appreciate the time and effort.

:)

The leather is the very best. I searched long and hard for a reliable supplier for this very supple oak-tanned hide.
The black is the same quality, just... well, black :)

I want to get all the input from all of the testers, get the test strap on its way back home, then we'll evaluate the results and then I'll tweak the design, produce another proto and we should be ready to accept orders.

Karl

• 2 weeks later...

Got the PM, thank you.

Here's the list:

1. Andydye
2. Walbassist
3. Ead
4. PlungerModerno
5. Xzodar
6. dougieb
7. Vmaxblues
8. Badass
9. sei24bass

It should be on its way to Badass at the moment.
When he's done with it perhaps he would be kind enough to send it to you.
From there it will come back to me for pattern tweaking.

After tweaks are done, orders will be taken!

Karl

Must say I’m quite impressed with this strap. I had none of the ‘too wide at the shoulder’ problems other have cited, but I am very broad at the shoulder. It also laid flat on my back with no bulging that I’ve seen in other member pictures. I know Karl said that individual straps would be customised. Hopefully fixing others problem areas. I used it during a band rehearsal that was around two and half hours long. It was very comfortable to wear and I could set the height to with in 2cm of my usual strap length, so that helped. After a while I forgot all about the strap and never felt uncomfortable or odd in any way. I got a few nice comments from other band members too. Quality was the main comment. The girl singer liked the smell of it!

My only gripe would be the price, not because this strap is not worth it, because it is, but because I’d require three, and for that money I could buy another Bass.

Now, can I squeeze three of these onto a Christmas wish list my wife has started for me? Hmm

Edited by Badass

[quote name='Badass' timestamp='1413028135' post='2574288']
Must say I’m quite impressed with this strap.... It was very comfortable to wear...The girl singer liked the smell of it!

My only gripe would be the price, not because this strap is not worth it, because it is, but because I’d require three, and for that money I could buy another Bass.

Now, can I squeeze three of these onto a Christmas wish list my wife has started for me? Hmm
[/quote]

It does sit well on the shoulder - and smells lovely. Quality Hide, Tanned beautifully!

As far as cost goes - could you get one for your main bass - and get others later as funds permit? A gift would be a nice idea.

Very very impressive strap, great quality leather/workmanship and compares well with my Moody’s 4” straps (amongst the very best in the business). Expensive but still good value for money.

Karl customises each individual strap and I suspect this one was made for basses to be worn at mid height and pretty horizontal. It excelled in this position, laying flat across my back and spreading the load very well (better than my Moody strap). I found it worked best with the widest part of the strap on my back rather than the top of my shoulder that I intuitively wanted to put it. This specific strap did not lay so flat on my back or feel as comfortable for the higher up and more vertical bass positions I use, so I’ve sent a few suggestions direct to Karl as he fine tunes his design.

Many thanks to Karl for this wonderful opportunity to try a [b][u]really[/u][/b] nice strap.

Got the notes, thank you.

Glad you liked it.

I'm really glad we had the opportunity for everyone who wanted to try this strap out. I appreciate the time you guys took to test it and report your findings.
Thank you.

If anyone else wants to try it, drop me a PM.

If not, then I'll get the proto back and start on the 2nd prototype as my work schedule permits.

Then we should be ready to take orders :)

Karl

So, the prodigal child returns!

The wayward strap has returned from its Grand Tour safe and well.
Many thanks again to all those who took care of it and sent it safely on to the next person.

As soon as I get a minute, I'll tot up the comments and make the changes to the pattern for the next prototype, which will be for my Kubicki :)

Karl

Edited by Karl Derrick

I wanted to go over the proposed tweaks to the strap design, so we're all on the same page.

1. A bit narrower at the shoulder. Say 4" rather than 5"...

2. To narrow faster as it heads down the back to eliminate the 'fluting' some players had.

3. Adjust the strap curve to make it shallower.

4. Adjust contour at the neck side to stop digging in.

Is there anything else?

Karl

Edited by Karl Derrick

• 2 weeks later...

The strap made its way back, safe and sound.

I've managed to generate some free space next week to work on the strap, finally.
I apologise for the delays, but I'm snowed under with work.
Next week, I'll do a new profile for the strap incorporating all the design tweaks and then start a new prototype, probably in black leather.

Now that the first proto has done its job, it's a bit redundant, sadly.

If anyone would like to give it a good home, it's available for the cost of the materials that went into it.
Just email me if interested: [email protected]

Karl

So, got started today :)

The strap design is evolving!

I made the necessary changes to the dimensions, as per folks' feedback. As a result the 'yoke' section, over the shoulder, is now smaller.
The design is now a three section strap.

1. The section from the front strap button to the yoke.
2. The yoke itself.
3. The tail section from the yoke to the back strap button.

I had the idea to keep the yoke as a standard piece, and the front and back strap sections as customised to client's specific fitting. The three sections will be the same soft leather, but only the yoke section will be lined with suede to prevent neckdive. I feel this is sensible, as it's really the only part which bears on the body.

Having just the smaller yoke section lined, as opposed to the whole strap, will lower the cost a bit. Also, the amount of hand stitching is also smaller. lowering cost as well.

Thoughts?

Karl

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

yes, it was too wide and too big, I knew this going in.
We had to start somewhere, right?

This new version is smaller, sleeker and more cost effective, and will still be just as comfortable.

Already started on the new prototype. Fitting it for me and my Kubicki :)

As a point of interest, this version will also be custom made to each individual customer. There will be three measurements required when ordering:

1. Front strap button to top of shoulder
2. Back strap button to top of shoudler
3. Overall length

These measurements can be taken direct from your favourite strap.

My plan is to line the yoke section, and leave the front and back strap sections unlined. How would you guys prefer the strap sections are joined together? Stitched on, or with those military spec press studs?

The advantage of press studs is that the strap breaks down into three sections, so a worn or damaged piece can be replaced.
The strap ends where the buttons go through gets the worst hammering.

Karl