Why become a member? ×

Which Female bassist has the best technical skills?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1407628273' post='2522515']
I'm a crap player and I'm unattractive so I'm screwed :D
[/quote] That ain`t true that you are a crap player, i saw your video. On the other hand, the second bit is probably true :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1407440394' post='2520635']
OK as the other thread by Pixiechick23 keeps getting derailed about other peoples favourite female bass players not being very good technically we might as well have one aimed at that very topic!

I will kick it off with the same answer as my favourite one Esperanza Spalding, that goes for bass and Double bass.
[media]http://youtu.be/2aRC3YY3svs[/media]

[url="http://youtu.be/jgnDE_5Wxiw"]http://youtu.be/jgnDE_5Wxiw[/url]

I still like Marta Altesa, and I still haven't nailed Master Blaster anywhere near this!
[media]http://youtu.be/OIs6qCe3wpU[/media]
[/quote]
Is Esperanza related to 80's bass player Phil Spalding (Toyah, GTR, Heaven 17, Terence Trent Darby, etc)?

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1407593923' post='2522145']
If Suzi Quatro is someones favourite bass player then that is fine - I have fond recollections of her myself- but don't try and tell me it is because of anything she has ever played on the bass guitar.
[/quote]

That's how I thought until I re listened to Devil Gate Drive recently and noticed the bass had a particularly pleasant bubbly groove and pleasant hot sound compared to some of the other 'Chinnichap' fare of the era.

[quote name = 'Dingus' timestamp='1407593923' post='2522145']
Naming names, there is nothing particularly special or appealing about Tal Wickenfield's playing to my ear. If she was a bloke, she probably would still be a complete unknown.
[/quote]

Strangely, that's how I felt until I recently re listened to/watched several You Tube performances of her with Jeff Beck and Herbie Hancock. She can groove phenomenally and also solo and I also like her sound on the Sadowski.

My conclusion is I didn't give these ladies enough of a listen in the first place, possibly for reasons other than being too fixated, for instance on Jeff Beck's guitar playing, fabulous though that is.

Neither are my favourite bass players, I hasten to add.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1407602703' post='2522255']
Anyhow back to the topic :P

A good example of not having good skills but being able to do what is needed is Sharon Finn. She's been bass playing for her husband Neil (of crowded house fame). Her skills were dreadful, but nobody apart from any bassist in the crowd would have noticed. She had good timing and sounded good in the mix. Everyone enjoyed the gig and nobody would have noticed. So in my mind, was a good bass performance if you only used your ears!
[/quote]

I'd forgotten about Mrs Finn. Only seen the band on Later but it was probably a fair representation of what they do live generally. I didn't know who she was until he mentioned it in a chat with Jools. Though from what I recall most of the band is made up of family members anyway so it's one of those nepotism projects you see from time to time in music (think Glen Campbell was doing the same thing toward the end of his career). I see what you mean, she was doing her job but looked very awkward and out of place, bit like she'd wandered in from a Sunday afternoon jam session. Probably doesn't matter as long as she can play what hubby writes. What happens if he fancies doing something complex in the bass dept that he knows she probably can't handle? does he compromise the song or get someone else in and cause ructions at Finn manor?

• 5 years later...